Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 19th, '14, 00:00

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Tead Off » Jul 19th, '14, 00:00

I've found the DHP from JKteashop more to my taste than YS. There are several samples you could go for. Maybe do a comparison as the samples are very economical.

Jul 19th, '14, 05:18

by BW85 » Jul 19th, '14, 05:18

It's been a mild summer here so far, and tonights temperature is definitely far below average for July. That being said, I took the opportunity to enjoy some high fire SX in my shen-deng zini pot. I've been drinking mostly cool-neutral teas lately and this yancha is a welcome treat :D
10 infusions in, and the leaves seem to have two or three more to give.. If I coax them right

Jul 19th, '14, 08:21

by Math » Jul 19th, '14, 08:21

I'm on infusion #6 of a 1991 Ali Shan. It's a nice dessert tea; mellow but with a distinct smoky sweetness.

Haha just kidding! :twisted: :mrgreen:

No seriosly.. been drinking J-teas Taiwan roi gui and fine Dong Ding. Both really good teas. The dong ding being my favourite. Manually destemmed. It has everything i look for in a dong ding just wish it had some more hui gan and it would be perfect.

The roi gui has that blackcurrant taste that seem to be the trademark of all roi gui examples I've tried this far. This together with a well done taiwan style roast makes this a very interesting tea.

Jul 19th, '14, 09:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jul 19th, '14, 09:23

Tead Off wrote:I've found the DHP from JKteashop more to my taste than YS. There are several samples you could go for. Maybe do a comparison as the samples are very economical.
+1.

I ordered from both. In my opinion, jkteashop's Wuyi Oolong win hands down, in particular regarding their Zheng Yan offers.

Jul 23rd, '14, 21:21

by BW85 » Jul 23rd, '14, 21:21

Mid fired sacred lily from teahong. Fired lightly enough to enjoy in the summer heat but still a nice amount of roast flavor (despite how green the leaf looks in the photo) Smooth and creamy, with some cinnamon notes

Jul 23rd, '14, 23:50

by Tead Off » Jul 23rd, '14, 23:50

Sacred Lily from Teahong. Excellent tea. +1 :D

Jul 24th, '14, 07:37

by Poseidon » Jul 24th, '14, 07:37

Hello everyone! Last night I decided to open the bag of Baozhong I won in a contest from Stephanie(*Stephane) at Tea Masters. Holy moly is it good. It is the 2013 spring organic baozhong she(*he) offers on her(*his) site. Lightly floral, Some sweetness, refreshing, tons of vegetable notes, an easy drinker. This is a tea that hits the spot when you are thirsty. Im a little worried about how fast I went through 2 pots last night. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Poseidon on Jul 25th, '14, 13:35, edited 3 times in total.

Jul 24th, '14, 22:02

by bonescwa » Jul 24th, '14, 22:02

Stephane is a man lol

Jul 24th, '14, 22:45
Scrolling: scrolling

Re:

by William » Jul 24th, '14, 22:45

bonescwa wrote:Stephane is a man lol
:lol: :lol:

Jul 25th, '14, 12:27

Re:

by Poseidon » Jul 25th, '14, 12:27

bonescwa wrote:Stephane is a man lol
wait seriously? Ive been responding in email with the name Stephanie... oh NOOOO. :lol: :mrgreen:

He hasnt corrected me so... :shock: Time to apologise!

Jul 26th, '14, 10:47

by debunix » Jul 26th, '14, 10:47

Taking advantage of a slight almost-chill in early morning to brew up some winter Cui Feng Dong Pian from Origin Tea.....it will be all cool-brewed after this, one way or another, until the evening. As it is, I'm brewing it concentrated and diluting a bit with cool water. It's already warming up quite a bit.

Jul 28th, '14, 01:09

by daidokorocha » Jul 28th, '14, 01:09

So, I can't say that I'm drinking it at the moment, but I am fantasizing about it - the hwang cha from Hankook that is. Yeah, it isn't technically oolong, but nevertheless. I do have some left, but I have been drinking it sparingly, as it is a tad pricey and I can't spring for more at the moment. However, whenever I do return to it I have an amazing session. I once read that it isn't very good for multiple infusions, but I really, really disagree with this. I find that the second and third infusions are the best. I see a lot of talk on this board about how the first infusion is the worst and should be thrown away, and I can't say I agree with this whatsoever, as I usually enjoy all the infusions equally in their own way. However, this is one of those teas where I might just I prefer later over the first, though the first is still great. I also think this is one of those teas where the product description (tasting notes) are dead on. I know Hankook has this other version for $5.50 for 25 bags, but I'm not sure how this compares to the full leaf or the bagged full leaf...

Jul 28th, '14, 02:14

by Tead Off » Jul 28th, '14, 02:14

Hwangcha or Balhyocha, seems to be very close to an oolong style as it is semi-oxidized. The better ones are aged for several months to several years. They are not inexpensive, but most good Korea teas are costly.

Like you, I disagree that the first brew should be tossed. I regularly get several brews out of a session. The key is leaf/water ratio. You can brew it in either smaller pots or larger ones. I will often put 5g into a 100ml pot and get several brews. or, 3g into a 200-250ml pot and brew western style getting 3 brews. These teas can have good endurance. They are my favorite Korean teas.

Jul 28th, '14, 02:59

by debunix » Jul 28th, '14, 02:59

I certainly don't throw away the Hankoook Hwang Cha first infusion. And brewing it gongfu cha in a small pot or gaiwan, I get easily a dozen infusions from it. Good stuff.

Jul 28th, '14, 08:54

by Poseidon » Jul 28th, '14, 08:54

I had a great cup of Ginseng Oolong after a long weekend of indulgence in almost every way... Its nice to get back to simple nourishing tea. Sweet, floral, tasty!

+ Post Reply