Taiwanese Teas!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 24th, '10, 00:40

Re: Taiwanese Teas!

by Bubba_tea » Feb 24th, '10, 00:40

spittingoutteeth wrote:7.3 grams in a gaiwan is pretty intense....half as much should yield good results.
Depends on the tea - not necessarily too much. Shorter brews, more cups, more flavor!

Feb 24th, '10, 08:16

by spittingoutteeth » Feb 24th, '10, 08:16

Personally I've never had luck using more than 5g is a standard-sized gaiwan. There's not enough space for the leaves to fully open and infuse evenly.

Most people assume that more flavor = more leaf. I find the opposite to be true with most Taiwanese teas, especially high mountain oolongs. Small amount of leaf, longer infusion times.

Feb 24th, '10, 09:37

by Bubba_tea » Feb 24th, '10, 09:37

I think for the rolled that's probably more often the case - the stripe type don't usually explode as much. I usually use a scale for rolled as you'll never know what you'll get!

Feb 25th, '10, 20:32

by JustinW » Feb 25th, '10, 20:32

I was going by the Houde post, and it said to fill the pot/gaiwan to 1/3 full (if I remember correctly). I find that just covering the bottom works really well.

I ordered 300 grams of the Tsuei Luan. That's the most I've ever bought of one tea at once. With the generous first timer discount from TFT it was a steal.

I've found that these Taiwanese teas brew very well grandpa style, so I think that's what I'll be doing with this Tsuei Luan for the most part. If I just want a good cup of tea without any fuss then Taiwanese oolongs work well for me. They're light, refreshing teas that remind me of spring. Very good for chilling on the couch with a mug, and a movie/video game.

I think it should hold me over while I check out other sources (Houde, Teamasters, etc.).

Thanks everybody, and enjoy your Taiwanese oolongs.

Feb 25th, '10, 21:56

by Tead Off » Feb 25th, '10, 21:56

Good choice, JustinW. Tseui Luan is a very good tea and a great value, IMO.

Feb 26th, '10, 04:10

by shah82 » Feb 26th, '10, 04:10

What is the first timer discount?

Feb 26th, '10, 09:30

by spittingoutteeth » Feb 26th, '10, 09:30

Considering not everyone has a digital scale, a good rule of thumb for Taiwanese oolongs brewed gong fu style (in gaiwan or mini yixing) is 1 heaping teaspoon for ball oolongs (dong ding, li shan, etc.) and 1 heaping tablespoon for flatter oolongs (baozhongs, etc.). While you will want to experiment and see what works best for your personal tastes, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good brew using this method.

Feb 26th, '10, 15:09

by Bubba_tea » Feb 26th, '10, 15:09

Get a scale! $10 is a small investment compared to the amount of money we're spending on tea!!!

I've been enjoying the Grandpa method lately as well. I will often brew a few cups of a heavy gaiwan and then throw the leaves in a thermos mug and drink that for the rest of the day - best of both worlds for me!

Sep 7th, '10, 22:54

by JustinW » Sep 7th, '10, 22:54

That's a good idea Bubba, cause sometimes I'll get 2 or 3 infusions in and something comes up and I need to hit the road, so next time I'll just throw it in a thermos.

Since having tried these samples so long ago it didn't really evolve into much of anything. I bought a bunch of the Tsuei Luan because it was a steal with that coupon, it proved to be good in a mug, and it offers a refreshing break from drinking yancha most of the time.

For me Taiwanese tea wasn't a love affair, but as of late I'm starting to crave it. I think it's time to delve further in.

I've been eyeballing Stephane's selection, which is vast and I'm finding it hard to pick anything out so I need some help. What are guys' favorites? I'm thinkin DYL (if it's not out-of-stock), some li shan or ali shan, a baozhong, a Dong Ding... Anybody tried his TKY?

Also, I'm a little curious about his pots, can anybody give me some input there? I was eying the 8cl hungni one.

It's so overwhelming! :shock:

Sep 9th, '10, 21:29

by bagua7 » Sep 9th, '10, 21:29

Has anyone tried this oolong:

It is marketed as Golden Lily" High Mountain Oolong Tea from Lin Plantation in central Taiwan, Spring Harvest. This is our "signature tea", and features the nutty, creamy flavor and tawny gold color for which the Golden Lily varietal is so renowned. If you leave the first few infusions to steep a bit longer than usual, you will experience the full depth of Golden Lily's proverbial "nai-shiang" ("Milk Fragrance") flavor.

300grams @ $120

Cheers.

Sep 9th, '10, 23:36

by Tead Off » Sep 9th, '10, 23:36

mayayo wrote:Has anyone tried this oolong:

It is marketed as Golden Lily" High Mountain Oolong Tea from Lin Plantation in central Taiwan, Spring Harvest. This is our "signature tea", and features the nutty, creamy flavor and tawny gold color for which the Golden Lily varietal is so renowned. If you leave the first few infusions to steep a bit longer than usual, you will experience the full depth of Golden Lily's proverbial "nai-shiang" ("Milk Fragrance") flavor.

300grams @ $120

Cheers.
Yes, I've had it and enjoyed it. It is also organically grown.

Oct 10th, '10, 04:42

by bagua7 » Oct 10th, '10, 04:42

Last edited by bagua7 on Oct 20th, '10, 02:32, edited 2 times in total.

Oct 10th, '10, 11:28

by Tead Off » Oct 10th, '10, 11:28

Try Shan Lin Xi or Li Shan. They are cooler but more expensive. :lol:

Oct 10th, '10, 17:15

by iannon » Oct 10th, '10, 17:15

Tead Off wrote:Try Shan Lin Xi or Li Shan. They are cooler but more expensive. :lol:
just put another order in from TFT. i went with the Tsuei Luan again which ive had before and liked..and also the Hua Gang which ive never had. Along with another sampler set of dyl and the milk oolongs..

Oct 10th, '10, 19:42

by TokyoB » Oct 10th, '10, 19:42

JustinW wrote:
I've been eyeballing Stephane's selection, which is vast and I'm finding it hard to pick anything out so I need some help. What are guys' favorites? I'm thinkin DYL (if it's not out-of-stock), some li shan or ali shan, a baozhong, a Dong Ding... Anybody tried his TKY?

Also, I'm a little curious about his pots, can anybody give me some input there? I was eying the 8cl hungni one.

It's so overwhelming! :shock:
Stephane's DYL is excellent this year - much better than HouDe's and better than Stephane's DYL from last year.

+ Post Reply