What kind of oolong should I buy?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 9th, '10, 21:52

Re: What kind of oolong should I buy?

by britt » Aug 9th, '10, 21:52

JustinW wrote:
britt wrote:Be warned, though, that tea can and tea ware can become very addictive (and expensive)!
:lol: I remember when I first started out with this whole tea thing (with sencha), I was thinking 'I'll get a nice $15 tea for my everyday tea, and then a $25 tea for those special days.' Now I'm drinking $30-50 tea everyday! :lol:

When you really think about it though tea is actually a very good deal. With a $40 tea it might only cost $1.80 - $2.00 per pot. Makes me cringe whenever I buy a cappuccino at a coffee shop, especially since the tea is better.
I started with $3 per bag genmaicha and haved upped the ante considerably since then. However, I still think tea is a great deal and as you pointed out, the good stuff is still cheap compared to buying a cup in a shop.

Aug 10th, '10, 12:30

by Tead Off » Aug 10th, '10, 12:30

JustinW wrote:
britt wrote:Be warned, though, that tea can and tea ware can become very addictive (and expensive)!
:lol: I remember when I first started out with this whole tea thing (with sencha), I was thinking 'I'll get a nice $15 tea for my everyday tea, and then a $25 tea for those special days.' Now I'm drinking $30-50 tea everyday! :lol:

When you really think about it though tea is actually a very good deal. With a $40 tea it might only cost $1.80 - $2.00 per pot. Makes me cringe whenever I buy a cappuccino at a coffee shop, especially since the tea is better.
+1 Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. :D Now, I find I'm shelling out over $100 for some. The good thing is I am officially NOT collecting yixing pots. I'm actually satiated.

Aug 10th, '10, 17:17

by Katy1977 » Aug 10th, '10, 17:17

I am also seeing how addictive this could be and fun too. :) I tried a jasmine pearl oolong today, actually threw it out, I felt like I was drinking perfume lol, will keep trying different oolongs, although they may not be for me at all...Will keep sampling. :)

Katy1977

Aug 10th, '10, 21:16

by britt » Aug 10th, '10, 21:16

Katy1977 wrote:I am also seeing how addictive this could be and fun too. :) I tried a jasmine pearl oolong today, actually threw it out, I felt like I was drinking perfume lol, will keep trying different oolongs, although they may not be for me at all...Will keep sampling. :)

Katy1977
When you finally do find a great one, it makes it all worth while!

I'm not too fond of most jasmine either. Some use extract and I try to avoid these completely. Others actually roll the tea with the jasmine flowers multiple times until the tea picks up the scent. I like this type more, but still prefer a straight green tea.

+ Post Reply