Neurological/Physiological effects of tea-drunkenness?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 22nd, '11, 10:25

Neurological/Physiological effects of tea-drunkenness?

by fire_snake » Aug 22nd, '11, 10:25

Hi Teaheads:

So are there any adverse, long-term effects (perhaps similar to, but not limited to, alcohol consumption)? Brain cell "death", etc. Might be a silly question, so go easy. :wink:

I'm asking because I am getting the most magnificent buzz from Stefan's Winter Wild Concubine. I'm grandpa-ing it in a mug. I'm on the fourth infusion (I think) and I'm just waaaay out there. It's delightful. It's the second time in a week I'm doing this. The buzz lasts for hours.

I assume it's fine, because after all, what better substance to put into your body than Oolong?

Just checking, though.

Christian

Aug 22nd, '11, 23:09

Re: Neurological/Physiological effects of tea-drunkenness?

by tingjunkie » Aug 22nd, '11, 23:09

The only long term effects of high quality oolong consumption I worry about are EWS and TAD. (Empty Wallet Syndrome and Teaware Acquisition Disorder)

Aug 24th, '11, 07:03
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Aug 24th, '11, 07:03

tingjunkie wrote:The only long term effects of high quality oolong consumption I worry about are EWS and TAD. (Empty Wallet Syndrome and Teaware Acquisition Disorder)
:lol: :lol:

Aug 25th, '11, 13:56

by fire_snake » Aug 25th, '11, 13:56

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

I'm doing it again, this time with the 2011 Spring Si Ji Chun Oolong from Zhu Shan.

We'll see what develops. :wink:

Christian

EDIT:

The lighter Oolong (as opposed to the Winter Wild Concubine) produced far less of a buzz after multiple infusions, and didn't last quite as long. Still very nice, though. It goes down very smooth and the taste, while not robust, is very pleasant.

Aug 26th, '11, 12:40

by BioHorn » Aug 26th, '11, 12:40

(A bit off forum, but) If you are looking for a cha qi buzz, try Tim's Mandarin Tea Room '06 Sheng Puerh.
fire_snake wrote::lol: :lol:

I'm doing it again, this time with the 2011 Spring Si Ji Chun Oolong from Zhu Shan.

Christian

EDIT:

The lighter Oolong (as opposed to the Winter Wild Concubine) produced far less of a buzz after multiple infusions, and didn't last quite as long. Still very nice, though. It goes down very smooth and the taste, while not robust, is very pleasant.

Aug 26th, '11, 14:23

by fire_snake » Aug 26th, '11, 14:23

Ah yes, the Puerh.

I've heard some interesting (and very encouraging) stories. I haven't had any decent Puerh yet. However I fear that if I do, whatever level of EWS and TAD I already have will be terminal.

I hear there is no cure for Puerh. Only more Puerh.

Christian

BioHorn wrote:(A bit off forum, but) If you are looking for a cha qi buzz, try Tim's Mandarin Tea Room '06 Sheng Puerh.
fire_snake wrote::lol: :lol:

Christian

EDIT:

Aug 26th, '11, 23:10

by bagua7 » Aug 26th, '11, 23:10

fire_snake wrote:Hi Teaheads:

So are there any adverse, long-term effects (perhaps similar to, but not limited to, alcohol consumption)? Brain cell "death", etc. Might be a silly question, so go easy. :wink:
Thinking too much causes more damage to your brain, trust me. :wink:
tingjunkie wrote:The only long term effects of high quality oolong consumption I worry about are EWS and TAD. (Empty Wallet Syndrome and Teaware Acquisition Disorder)
Did you just read my mind? :shock:

:lol:

Aug 27th, '11, 15:54

by sherubtse » Aug 27th, '11, 15:54

Some folks may also suffer from mild (or major) addiction to caffeine. Like coffee, drinking lots of tea can make one dependent on caffeine. Cutting down or ceasing its consumption will then result in nausea and headaches.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Aug 27th, '11, 17:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Aug 27th, '11, 17:11

therefore, don't cut down :)

Aug 27th, '11, 21:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 27th, '11, 21:09

sherubtse wrote:
Some folks may also suffer from mild (or major) addiction to caffeine. Like coffee, drinking lots of tea can make one dependent on caffeine. Cutting down or ceasing its consumption will then result in nausea and headaches.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Not to mention irritabiliTea! :twisted:

Aug 27th, '11, 21:31

by Catfur » Aug 27th, '11, 21:31

Chip wrote:
sherubtse wrote:

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Not to mention irritabiliTea! :twisted:
Does Adagio sell that one?

Aug 29th, '11, 13:59

by sherubtse » Aug 29th, '11, 13:59

the_economist wrote:therefore, don't cut down :)
Sometimes it is unavoidable .... :(

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 12th, '11, 01:50

by Oni » Sep 12th, '11, 01:50

This illness is very common and unpleasent among tea drinkers, tea and teaware are getting ever more expencieve, it is becoming the playground for rich people, but I really need the teaware from time to time, it makes me soo happy.

Sep 12th, '11, 17:34

by tingjunkie » Sep 12th, '11, 17:34

I hear ya Oni. With the way China's economy is going, I see buying Yixing pots as building a savings account I can use and appreciate! That's provided I don't drop or get hopelessly attached to my pots of course. I have a feeling it will be more like a savings account I'm building for my future generations who won't care about selling them off! :lol:

+ Post Reply