Fo Shou Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 15th, '11, 11:41

Fo Shou Oolong

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 15th, '11, 11:41

I recently received a sample of 2001 Fo Shou oolong from Norbu. Basically, I'm at a loss as far as how to brew it. I've enjoyed some 90's TGY in the past, and I basically brewed it gongfu style in a small gaiwan using water in the 190-195 range. Has anyone else (ie Debunix, I know you order from Norbu often) tried the 01 Fo Shou?

Sep 17th, '11, 00:02

Re: Fo Shou Oolong

by tingjunkie » Sep 17th, '11, 00:02

How roasted is it? If not very, then (since it's slightly aged) use about 30% more than you would for a jade TGY and brew in the normal gongfu way. If it's high fire, then fill up the vessel 1/2-2/3 of the way, and go for it.

Sep 17th, '11, 10:25

by debunix » Sep 17th, '11, 10:25

I got a sample of the Fo Shou with my latest order, but won't have a chance to do a proper test for a while. I've not had a lot of aged oolong so it will be all experiment when I do go for it.

Sep 25th, '11, 23:39

by nw-T » Sep 25th, '11, 23:39

This is a really nice tea! I have had great luck with it in my pot over the gaiwan. These leave are HUGE when they unfold so I would not fill your pot 1/2 - 2/3 full. I have had the best luck just putting enough to cover the bottom of your pot. Use boiling water, quick rinse and a little longer first infusion than you would normally use to help open up the leaves. It doesn't blow me way but is a really nice tea with some nice aged notes coming out. It stands up really nice in the water!
I really like all the teas I've gotten from Norbu! Great customer service too!

Still looking for a nice roasted Fo Shou!

Hope this helps

Oct 21st, '11, 17:42

by AlexZorach » Oct 21st, '11, 17:42

I really love Fo Shou, probably more than Tie Guan Yin although I haven't really had a large enough sampling of it to say.

My inclination would be to brewing it with water closer to boiling. But the kinds I've had sound pretty dissimilar to this tea you're describing. I've mostly had greener ones with a light oxidation and light roast, and they were not aged at all...they had a pleasingly pungent herbaceous aroma unlike any other oolong varietals. I can see this type of tea aging very well; it has a sharpness reminiscent in some ways of young sheng Pu-erh.

Glad you're having a good experience with it!

+ Post Reply