Taiwanese Oolongs--Need Some Schooling & Recommendations

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 13th, '12, 00:25

Taiwanese Oolongs--Need Some Schooling & Recommendations

by Garrett » Jun 13th, '12, 00:25

Some I'm kind of new to the game and could use some guidance here.

I have had several Taiwanese oolongs from a local tea shop that really piqued my interest, but the truth is that I have no idea what actual teas they were (each was simply described as "High Mountain Oolong", with slightly different levels of oxidation).

Everything from the fragrance, the taste, the mouth feel, and the evolution of these characteristics during different infusions has me hooked.

So now I'm at the point where I want to branch out and see what else is out there. Could you guys recommend some good Taiwanese oolongs for me to try out? I want something that's at least decent and representative of each tea, but at the same time I obviously don't want to drop big time money while I'm in the exploratory stages.

If it helps, I intend to keep brewing with my small porcelain gaiwan, and I usually tend to gravitate more toward the greener side of oolongs.

Thanks so much guys!

-Garrett

Jun 13th, '12, 01:21

Re: Taiwanese Oolongs--Need Some Schooling & Recommendations

by Tead Off » Jun 13th, '12, 01:21

I suggest to you that you at least read the information provided by some vendors as to the different types of oolongs offered, where they are grown in Taiwan, and, the amount of oxidation or roasting they have had.

Vendors like teafromtaiwan.com, t-oolong, and, Tea Home on ebay, have plenty of info about the teas that they offer. Then, you can make some choices as to what you might like.

Jun 13th, '12, 04:28

by MarshalN » Jun 13th, '12, 04:28

I'd recommend teahome as a good and relatively cheap place to start.

Jun 13th, '12, 06:16

by Garrett » Jun 13th, '12, 06:16

Thanks I'll have to take a look at them.

Is there something a little higher-end? I want to make sure that I get a good idea of what each tea is capable of, and I wonder if I can get that at such low prices.

I'll look through the tea vendor guide as well, as that's an excellent resource that I have yet to make use of.

Jun 13th, '12, 11:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 13th, '12, 11:49

There will be a Taiwanese oolong OTTI around the end of this month. It will feature 10 gram samples of around 5-6 teas of varying oxidations, roasts, etc.

Jun 13th, '12, 13:42

by MIKE_B » Jun 13th, '12, 13:42

Chip wrote:There will be a Taiwanese oolong OTTI around the end of this month. It will feature 10 gram samples of around 5-6 teas of varying oxidations, roasts, etc.
+1
Keep your eye out for this OTTI. A fun way to sample some different ones.

I've also liked Floating Leaves.
http://floatingleaves.com/

Jun 13th, '12, 20:48

by Garrett » Jun 13th, '12, 20:48

Forgive my ignorance, but what does OTTI stand for? :oops:

Edit: never mind. As usual, a little poking around the forum has answered my question. :D

Jun 13th, '12, 20:53

by Chip » Jun 13th, '12, 20:53

Garrett wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what does OTTI stand for? :oops:

Edit: never mind. As usual, a little poking around the forum has answered my question. :D
I just spoke with my contact there ... things are just about finalized! It should be a great Round, of course!!!

Jun 13th, '12, 21:15

by Garrett » Jun 13th, '12, 21:15

Chip wrote:

I just spoke with my contact there ... things are just about finalized! It should be a great Round, of course!!!
Chip,

Am I correct in that OTTI 15 will be the Taiwanese Oolong round?

Also, do I just need to be on the lookout for the OTTI 15 thread in the OTTI forum?

This is something that I will absolutely want to participate in and I want to make sure that I don't miss it. :D

Jun 13th, '12, 21:55

by nw-T » Jun 13th, '12, 21:55

Check out Floating Leaves Tea website.
Great selection of Taiwanese Oolong!

Jun 14th, '12, 01:45

by Tead Off » Jun 14th, '12, 01:45

Garrett wrote:Thanks I'll have to take a look at them.

Is there something a little higher-end? I want to make sure that I get a good idea of what each tea is capable of, and I wonder if I can get that at such low prices.

I'll look through the tea vendor guide as well, as that's an excellent resource that I have yet to make use of.
I didn't think teafromtaiwan has low prices. The sites I gave you are all in Taiwan and are buying directly from the farms and have the best quality. It's your job to pick the ones you like. I often buy the same type of tea from 2 sources just to compare. Your journey is just beginning.

Jun 14th, '12, 11:20

by Chip » Jun 14th, '12, 11:20

Garrett wrote:
Chip wrote:

Chip,

Also, do I just need to be on the lookout for the OTTI 15 thread in the OTTI forum?

This is something that I will absolutely want to participate in and I want to make sure that I don't miss it. :D
I will likely post a reminder under the Oolong forum! But of course I will be posting a lot of hoopla hype under the OTTI forum. Glad you are eagerly anticipating this tasting!

We just finalized the actual selections. After discussing with me, they actually went and cupped all their teas specifically targeting for this tasting.

There will be 2 greener, 2 medium, and 2 darker.

And yes, this Taiwan tasting shall be donned Round 15!

Jun 14th, '12, 15:34
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Jun 14th, '12, 15:34

:D Yay, I don't have to miss this one. Will have Taiwanese oolong OTTI sent to me from US lol

Jun 14th, '12, 19:57

by Garrett » Jun 14th, '12, 19:57

Chip wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Chip wrote:

Chip,

I will likely post a reminder under the Oolong forum! But of course I will be posting a lot of hoopla hype under the OTTI forum. Glad you are eagerly anticipating this tasting!

We just finalized the actual selections. After discussing with me, they actually went and cupped all their teas specifically targeting for this tasting.

There will be 2 greener, 2 medium, and 2 darker.

And yes, this Taiwan tasting shall be donned Round 15!
Very exciting! Thanks for the info. Chip. :D

It seems like there's gonna be a very good range in there (with two greener, two medium, and two darker oolongs), and that's great for someone like myself that may need to be pushed to explore beyond just the greener ones.

Anyway, I will definitely have my eyes peeled for this and I'll surely participate. 8)

Jun 14th, '12, 22:14

by Chip » Jun 14th, '12, 22:14

Garrett wrote: ... and that's great for someone like myself that may need to be pushed to explore beyond just the greener ones.
Likewise!!! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply