Am I brewing Shui Xian wrong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 20th, '13, 17:23

Re: Am I brewing Shui Xian wrong?

by Bad Jedi » Feb 20th, '13, 17:23

You guys, look for better SX out there if your 4th brew flats your tea... :)

Feb 22nd, '13, 00:48

by entropyembrace » Feb 22nd, '13, 00:48

I don't even buy expensive Shui Xian and it lasts for about 25 infusions...such as $16/50g stuff from Life in Teacup.

Feb 22nd, '13, 11:55
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 22nd, '13, 11:55

I think it's more a matter of preference as to when you choose to stop; I can go much longer with some high roast TGY, and I've gone five days with other oolongs. SX, to me, is never much good after four or five infusions.

Feb 22nd, '13, 12:09

by JRS22 » Feb 22nd, '13, 12:09

entropyembrace wrote:I don't even buy expensive Shui Xian and it lasts for about 25 infusions...such as $16/50g stuff from Life in Teacup.
I'd need a microscopic pot for me to last for 25 infusions. Still, I'd appreciate your posting your brewing technique so I can test it on my Shu Xian samples.

Feb 22nd, '13, 14:22
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 22nd, '13, 14:22

jayinhk wrote:I think it's more a matter of preference as to when you choose to stop; I can go much longer with some high roast TGY, and I've gone five days with other oolongs. SX, to me, is never much good after four or five infusions.
The first cup kisses away my thirst,
and my loneliness is quelled by the second.
The third gives insight worthy of ancient scrolls,
and the fourth exiles my troubles.
My body becomes lighter with the fifth,
and the sixth sends word from immortals.
But the seventh—oh the seventh cup—
if I drink you, a wind will hurry my wings
toward the sacred island.
—Lu Tong (795-835 A.D.)

Feb 22nd, '13, 14:59

by entropyembrace » Feb 22nd, '13, 14:59

JRS22 wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:I don't even buy expensive Shui Xian and it lasts for about 25 infusions...such as $16/50g stuff from Life in Teacup.
I'd need a microscopic pot for me to last for 25 infusions. Still, I'd appreciate your posting your brewing technique so I can test it on my Shu Xian samples.
Fill 60ml yixing with dry leaf and use boiling water :)

Feb 22nd, '13, 16:59

by Evan Draper » Feb 22nd, '13, 16:59

TIM wrote:The first cup kisses away my thirst,
—Lu Tong (795-835 A.D.)
You skipped the part about the armpits....

Feb 22nd, '13, 21:46

by Tead Off » Feb 22nd, '13, 21:46

JRS22 wrote:
A lot of the Shui Xian on the commercial market doesn't give many brews but can be sweet and tasty for 4/5 brews. I've found that the good aged SX, 10+ years seem to be more long lasting. Not sure why drinkers sit and count the number of brews?

Feb 22nd, '13, 23:38

by Exempt » Feb 22nd, '13, 23:38

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
A lot of the Shui Xian on the commercial market doesn't give many brews but can be sweet and tasty for 4/5 brews. I've found that the good aged SX, 10+ years seem to be more long lasting. Not sure why drinkers sit and count the number of brews?
I've been looking for some good aged oolong. I know EOT has some, but do you have any recommendations for other companies that sell any

Feb 22nd, '13, 23:44
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 22nd, '13, 23:44

Evan Draper wrote:
TIM wrote:The first cup kisses away my thirst,
—Lu Tong (795-835 A.D.)
You skipped the part about the armpits....
My Wings = My armpits

Feb 23rd, '13, 00:16

by JRS22 » Feb 23rd, '13, 00:16

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
I like to keep a rough count so I know how many days a tea session will last. If I'm going to keep used leaves in a pot in my non-air conditioned kitchen, especially during the summer, I want to plan to finish up the next day.

Feb 23rd, '13, 00:41

by Tead Off » Feb 23rd, '13, 00:41

Exempt wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
I've been looking for some good aged oolong. I know EOT has some, but do you have any recommendations for other companies that sell any
I've only bought locally and they don't sell online. Check some of the more popular vendors in your country. Why wouldn't you buy from Tim, the Mandarin's Tea Shop? I've never heard of anyone having been disappointed in his teas. Tell him Tead Off sent you. :lol:

Feb 23rd, '13, 22:21

by entropyembrace » Feb 23rd, '13, 22:21

Tead Off wrote: Not sure why drinkers sit and count the number of brews?
I just estimate based on the volume of water I use :)

Apr 18th, '13, 14:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Apr 18th, '13, 14:57

You mentioned the water being at 208; are you using a Zojirushi (or other hot water dispenser)?

If so, make sure to discard the first couple of ounces; that's the water that sits in the tube that shows your water level and it gets significantly cooler.

+ Post Reply