What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.


Jan 31st, '13, 17:07
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 9th, '12
Location: Seattle

What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by Exempt » Jan 31st, '13, 17:07

Hey guys,
Recently I have been experimenting with different oolongs trying to find one that I really enjoy. I generally like most that I have tried but there were two that I can't seem to replicate. I had two samples (One labeled as dongding and one da hong pao) that had dark fruity flavors. I've tried some more dong dings and wuyi's but I just cannot find an oolong that has the fruit flavor I'm looking for. Can you guys recommend any types or specific oolongs that have a fruity flavor?

User avatar
Jan 31st, '13, 18:29
Posts: 20
Joined: Nov 10th, '12
Location: Off the mountain.

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by MountainEd » Jan 31st, '13, 18:29

Have you been to see Schiuwen and tried her Dong Ding Fragrant? And she says her Winter DYL is fruity. But I'm in the camp who was disappointed by her Summer DYL so you may want to check it out in person first.

Jan 31st, '13, 18:46
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 9th, '12
Location: Seattle

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by Exempt » Jan 31st, '13, 18:46

MountainEd wrote:Have you been to see Schiuwen and tried her Dong Ding Fragrant? And she says her Winter DYL is fruity. But I'm in the camp who was disappointed by her Summer DYL so you may want to check it out in person first.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure who you mean. Is it a store owner?

User avatar
Jan 31st, '13, 19:08
Posts: 789
Joined: May 2nd, '10
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by BioHorn » Jan 31st, '13, 19:08

Exempt wrote:Hey guys,
Recently I have been experimenting with different oolongs trying to find one that I really enjoy. I generally like most that I have tried but there were two that I can't seem to replicate. I had two samples (One labeled as dongding and one da hong pao) that had dark fruity flavors. I've tried some more dong dings and wuyi's but I just cannot find an oolong that has the fruit flavor I'm looking for. Can you guys recommend any types or specific oolongs that have a fruity flavor?

You could try Phoenix Dan Congs. Might not hurt to buy a sampler from Imen at TeaHabitat.

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21&zenid=n6gpil2ujkubnc9r8da940ls25

This one in particular might be what you are looking for:

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=403

User avatar
Jan 31st, '13, 19:15
Posts: 2066
Joined: Jan 11th, '07
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by wyardley » Jan 31st, '13, 19:15

I think you want oolongs with a low-medium to medium-high roast and a fairly healthy dose of oxidation.

User avatar
Jan 31st, '13, 19:29
Posts: 20
Joined: Nov 10th, '12
Location: Off the mountain.

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by MountainEd » Jan 31st, '13, 19:29

Exempt wrote:
MountainEd wrote:Have you been to see Schiuwen and tried her Dong Ding Fragrant? And she says her Winter DYL is fruity. But I'm in the camp who was disappointed by her Summer DYL so you may want to check it out in person first.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure who you mean. Is it a store owner?


I'm so sorry, I made an incorrect assumption. I figured that if you're in Seattle you would have gone over to Ballard and visited Floating Leaves Tea Shop. Schiuwen is the owner and a very knowledgeable tea person. Plus a sweetheart of a lady. If you haven't been there, do a google for the shop. I don't want to post another link to her shop in this forum. She has a listing in the Tea Vendor forum: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12015

Jan 31st, '13, 19:31
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 9th, '12
Location: Seattle

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by Exempt » Jan 31st, '13, 19:31

wyardley wrote:I think you want oolongs with a low-medium to medium-high roast and a fairly healthy dose of oxidation.

So maybe some medium roast formosa oolongs?

User avatar
Feb 1st, '13, 00:22
Posts: 2066
Joined: Jan 11th, '07
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by wyardley » Feb 1st, '13, 00:22

Exempt wrote:
wyardley wrote:I think you want oolongs with a low-medium to medium-high roast and a fairly healthy dose of oxidation.

So maybe some medium roast formosa oolongs?

I don't think the place of origin is so important.

Feb 1st, '13, 00:24
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 9th, '12
Location: Seattle

Re: What kind of oolong fits this flavor profile?

by Exempt » Feb 1st, '13, 00:24

wyardley wrote:
Exempt wrote:
wyardley wrote:I think you want oolongs with a low-medium to medium-high roast and a fairly healthy dose of oxidation.

So maybe some medium roast formosa oolongs?

I don't think the place of origin is so important.

I've been looking around and I've found some decent looking bai hoa and dong ding. I think I'll talk to stephane and place a teamaster order soon.

+ Post Reply