Ginseng Oolong Tea Resteeping

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 20th, '14, 19:49

Ginseng Oolong Tea Resteeping

by NeilPatrick » Oct 20th, '14, 19:49

I've just been on a trip to China and for the first time I discovered I actually like tea; more specifically, ginseng oolong tea. Since coming back I've tried numerous ginseng oolong teas in Canadian retailers, only to find out that the ginseng taste does not survive beyond a single steep. Is there such a thing as a ginseng oolong tea that has more than a "dusting" of ginseng you will only taste in the first steep (if so who's version of this tea would you recommend)?

That being said, are there any other types of tea with ginseng that could be recommended that also have lasting taste through multiple steeps? I would appreciate any thoughts. I apologize in advance if there was a similar posting on this site that was missed by me.

Oct 21st, '14, 00:26

Re: Ginseng Oolong Tea Resteeping

by debunix » Oct 21st, '14, 00:26

I've only had two ginseng oolongs, and both were made with ok-quality oolong teas: I could enjoy a resteeping for the oolong-ness but the ginseng flavor was first steep only.

Oct 21st, '14, 09:02

by Poseidon » Oct 21st, '14, 09:02

debunix wrote:I've only had two ginseng oolongs, and both were made with ok-quality oolong teas: I could enjoy a resteeping for the oolong-ness but the ginseng flavor was first steep only.
I agree debunix. Ginseng Oolong is a nice sweet treat but is really a 1-2 steep pony with the first being the best steep. I like tossing a couple teaspoons in a starbucks water and let it steep over the time I drink the 30oz cup. Its especially nice in the summer! :lol:

Oct 21st, '14, 12:51

by entropyembrace » Oct 21st, '14, 12:51

If you want a more durable ginseng flavour rather than tea flavour you could try getting some ginseng root to make a tisane. :)

Oct 21st, '14, 20:09

by mganz42 » Oct 21st, '14, 20:09

Actually, I really like the lan gui ren from Dragon Tea House on ebay. The ginseng lasts up to four steeps... the tea itself is good for at least ten

Oct 23rd, '14, 15:44

by NeilPatrick » Oct 23rd, '14, 15:44

Wow...thank you for all your replies! I'll be giving the Dragon Tea House lan gui ren tea a shot to see if I am able to get 2-3 steeps out of it. Failing this, might start adding ginseng to my oolong tea brews.

As an aside - I also enjoy the oolong tea taste; the sweet aftertaste from the ginseng is just something I've also really come to enjoy. Get the two tastes together and I have something I truly love to drink.

Oct 25th, '14, 23:43

by tingjunkie » Oct 25th, '14, 23:43

I have a little 20 year old ginseng oolong from TenRen that a friend gave me. It has stamina like crazy. 20+ infusions easy, with the sweetness of the ginseng lasting for at least the first 7-8. I haven't tried their regular aged King's Tea, but you can buy a sample and give it a shot.

+ Post Reply