That grocery store tea aroma!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 7th, '14, 19:29

That grocery store tea aroma!

by futurebird » Dec 7th, '14, 19:29

Hi, tee fans. I have not been around for some time. I've had a number of adventures and learned some new stuff. I've also discovered that I enjoy sea dyke (lao chung shui xian and the one in the red tin) and other brands as daily oolong. But I have some questions.

1. I've been having trouble finding an online retailer for the sea dyke teas recently that ships cheaply to the US? I want to buy a lot. Ideas?

2. What is the more sophisticated version of these teas? I love them, they smell nice, never bitter... and yet ... they are very "one note" which is great for when I'm working. But, if I want to have tea and focus on flavor?

Dec 8th, '14, 07:50

Re: That grocery store tea aroma!

by Poseidon » Dec 8th, '14, 07:50

1. I, too, have had trouble finding a souce online for sea dyke. I have found some random people on amazon or ebay selling KG packages of it but that was awhile back when I saw it. I would be interested in just getting a normal sized box or tin of it. Most people will say to check your local asian market.

2. From what I gather, Sea dyke is a blended roasted wuyi oolong. The next step up would be something from a vendor online. JkTeaShop has some decent wuyi but nothing compared to the quality some of the other sites have. It would probably be easier to choose how much you want to spend, then seek something out that fits that price range.

Dec 8th, '14, 11:16

by chrl42 » Dec 8th, '14, 11:16

Here's an official website for Seadyke http://www.china-xmtea.com/

Or you can type 海堤 on Taobao and use a proxy.

My favorite Seadyke would be Rougui limited edition (30g and bigger one)..but nonetheless the Seadyke is a huge state-owned factory (I dunno if it still is now) which you cannot avoid being a commercial one...for the price per se...I think they are decent enough....good luck! :D

Dec 10th, '14, 18:02

by futurebird » Dec 10th, '14, 18:02

Thanks! This is a huge help.

Dec 12th, '14, 11:44

by Evan Draper » Dec 12th, '14, 11:44

futurebird wrote:2. What is the more sophisticated version of these teas?
Right in your backyard:
http://www.themandarinstearoom.com/wuyi_c_12.html
Email for current availability....

Dec 14th, '14, 14:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Dec 14th, '14, 14:46

You might look for Wuyi oolong on Ali Express (and ones labeled just "wuyi oolong" are probably shui xian). You might not get Sea Dyke specifically, but you might be able to get something comparable for the price you're looking for.

However, if you're starting to see what you're missing, I'd avoid getting large quantities (>250g) of anything. If you're anything like the rest of us, you'll get excited when you find that next step up, and then start to see its limits; then you'll find the next step up and repeat. You can look for cheap ones, certainly, but at some point you'll want to try some of the higher-end ones as well. Personally, yancha is one that I prefer not to go cheap on, and don't use it for a daily drinker; the good stuff is just that good, once you get comfortable with brewing it (particularly with the volume of leaf, but maybe you're already there), and it's hard to go back once you're looking for good yan yun.

+ Post Reply