EoT Yancha

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '15, 04:46

EoT Yancha

by Haddemall » Jan 5th, '15, 04:46

Dear all,

Planning a purchase from EoT and am looking for opinions on their selection of yanchas. There is a lot to choose from.

Would be interesting to hear opinions on handmade vs half handmade examples too.

Thanks a lot.

Haddemall

Jan 6th, '15, 22:13

Re: EoT Yancha

by futurebird » Jan 6th, '15, 22:13

I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish but EoT 1970 Pinglin Baozhong is the best EoT Oolong of ALL TIME.

OF ALL TIME.

:o
:D
8)

Jan 6th, '15, 22:17

by futurebird » Jan 6th, '15, 22:17

OK now to be more serious. I like the Yanchas too. I buy them often. The Bai Ji Guan is very much my kind of tea. A bit sweet. Complex. Aging does it a LOT of good.

Jan 7th, '15, 11:57

by bonescwa » Jan 7th, '15, 11:57

Aged bao zhong isn't for everyone lol

Jan 8th, '15, 13:52

by Haddemall » Jan 8th, '15, 13:52

Many thanks.

Jan 8th, '15, 17:37

by puyuan » Jan 8th, '15, 17:37

I'm afraid I can't offer very specific advice, however...

I found their Yancha quite the teas indeed, though I haven't tried as many as I'd like. My advice would be to try as many as your budget allows, keeping in mind that the most common/popular yancha in their roster are the 4 mingcong (tie luohan, bai jiguan, shui jin gui, "dahongpao" - in this case, beidou) + shuixian and rougui. So if you want to explore yancha in general and not just EoT's teas in specific, it would make sense to try those and a handful of the others in small samples. You could compare, for instance, the half-handmade shuixian and handmade laocong shuixian. It's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing your taste and budget, given the big disparity in pricing. If you are new to yancha, the other advice would be to be mindful with when you brew them, in case you buy 2014 teas. Some yancha need a very long time of rest before they are optimal for drinking.

Also, the baisuixiang and yanzhonglan are scarce. If you want to try these varietals, try now, since they are close to being sold out. Baisuixiang is not impossible to find from other sources (though the quality may not be as good), but yanzhonglan is not an easy qizhong to find at all. Good price-to-quality ratio too. I recently saved myself a little of those two.

Jan 9th, '15, 05:15

by Haddemall » Jan 9th, '15, 05:15

I think you gave me some really great advice, thank you very much! I placed an order for some Bai Sui Xiang and Yan Zhonglan. The rest of the more common varietals I can explore later perhaps. Good thing with EoT is that you can order per the gram which makes sampling teas easy.

I really do need to work more on my brewing technique, though. I usually just throw 5 or 6 grams in a 100 ml gaiwan and go from there, with no regard to how old the tea is.

Thanks again, puyuan!

+ Post Reply