Hung Shui Oolong and Laocha flavours

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 21st, '15, 04:42

Hung Shui Oolong and Laocha flavours

by Bok » May 21st, '15, 04:42

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience:
Recently, I had the opportunity to drink some Hong Shui Oolong (traditionally made Dongding oolong). The flavour profile reminded me a lot of several Laocha (aged Taiwan Oolong) I had tasted previously… anyone found this as well? Or was this particular Hong Shui a one-off tea?

The Hong Shui was a tad sharper, the Laochas predominantly smoother, although some had what I would call for lack of a better word “punch”.

May 21st, '15, 07:13

Re: Hung Shui Oolong and Laocha flavours

by AdmiralKelvinator » May 21st, '15, 07:13

Bok wrote:I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience:
Recently, I had the opportunity to drink some Hong Shui Oolong (traditionally made Dongding oolong). The flavour profile reminded me a lot of several Laocha (aged Taiwan Oolong) I had tasted previously… anyone found this as well? Or was this particular Hong Shui a one-off tea?

The Hong Shui was a tad sharper, the Laochas predominantly smoother, although some had what I would call for lack of a better word “punch”.
Was the Hong Shui itself aged? It's funny, I have an aged hongshui here that tastes for all the world like yancha; I also have an aged yancha that tastes very much like aged taiwan oolong (that unique dried plum flavor).

It could be that different storage imparts different flavor profiles to tea, but the more aged oolong I drink, the more I tend to ignore what's written on the label; especially the supposed age of the tea. Unlike puer, there isn't really a standardized system (like a factory) behind these teas, so a lot of the classification of it is extremely arbitrary and disorganized. You really can only rely on your tongue and your intuition.

Would love to try some fresh Hongshui and see where it lands flavorwise.

May 21st, '15, 21:54

Re: Hung Shui Oolong and Laocha flavours

by Bok » May 21st, '15, 21:54

AdmiralKelvinator wrote: Was the Hong Shui itself aged? It's funny, I have an aged hongshui here that tastes for all the world like yancha; I also have an aged yancha that tastes very much like aged taiwan oolong (that unique dried plum flavor).
If I go with my tastebuds, I would say no. It still had quite an edge to it.
I agree with ignoring the standard descriptions, especially in Taiwan itself, where people are not very precise with names and origins.

Seems only foreigners care about the exact details where a tea comes from and what it actually is… :lol:

+ Post Reply