Gauging interest in group purchase from "Mountain Tea"

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 24th, '15, 16:10

Gauging interest in group purchase from "Mountain Tea"

by Tea Fiend » May 24th, '15, 16:10

Hello,

I saw an older posts from this forum about buying in bulk from Mountain Tea Garden. http://mountainteagarden.com/teas-by-garden/

Is there anyone in the continental US interested in putting an order together? If so, is there any ideas on how we can make this work?

Thanks

May 24th, '15, 20:32

Re: Gauging interest in group purchase from "Mountain Tea"

by Muadeeb » May 24th, '15, 20:32

PM sent, I'd be willing to buy some more of the dark roast TKY, even though I did just get 20oz from them. Such a a great tea for the price!

I brought my brewing rig to a friend's house for the Mayweather fight and everyone loved this tea, especially the coffee drinkers.

May 24th, '15, 23:34

by Tewa » May 24th, '15, 23:34

Count me in for one pound of the dark roast TGY. Can't pass up ~1.50/oz for something that good 8)

May 25th, '15, 03:33

by .m. » May 25th, '15, 03:33

i wanna make an order too, but i'm in europe :(

May 25th, '15, 07:53

by Tea Fiend » May 25th, '15, 07:53

As long as we have a group interest in buying a total of 4 lbs of tea, i think we can make this work. :) The way i see it, mountain tea needs a ~100 USD purchase order before they will ship.

Again, it would be great if experienced group buyers can provide advice on how to make this work. I am new to this concept of group buying. Here are some concerns:

How do we handle the separate delivery costs? I assume one person will make the order and deliver the items to the others.

.m is interested in joining. Will you be buying in USD? What tea are you interested in getting?

Thanks for the interest guys. I think I want 1lbs of imperial pearl. =)

May 25th, '15, 08:11
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 25th, '15, 08:11

I'd hold off on anything Sumatran...Incredible rate of deforestation there, and extinction of several species, including the Sumatran tiger and rhino, is probable if they keep clearing jungle.

May 25th, '15, 14:07

by Tea Fiend » May 25th, '15, 14:07

jayinhk wrote:I'd hold off on anything Sumatran...Incredible rate of deforestation there, and extinction of several species, including the Sumatran tiger and rhino, is probable if they keep clearing jungle.
I think the Imperial Pearl is grown in China.

Its ultimately the people in Indonesia who will balance their priorities of either keeping a natural reserve of animals and plants for the world, or to lift themselves out of poverty and make profitable use of their land. They live on an earthquake/tsunami prone place and likely really trying to survive.

Anyways, I'll be mindful of that too, especially next time I get that Sumatran coffee. Thanks

May 25th, '15, 14:41

by mganz42 » May 25th, '15, 14:41

I think the imperial pearl is grown in china... and it's delicious :)

Would anybody be willing to share the imperial pearl or the GABA? I would love to have half a pound of each... if not, I'd want a pound of imperial pearl

May 25th, '15, 15:16

by .m. » May 25th, '15, 15:16

i'd be into the imperial pearl, dark roast TGY, and aged green heart oolong about 1lb of each ... so i guess i could just make an order myself... but if it helps, i'd be glad to join...

May 25th, '15, 17:21

by Tea Fiend » May 25th, '15, 17:21

mganz42 wrote:I think the imperial pearl is grown in china... and it's delicious :)

Would anybody be willing to share the imperial pearl or the GABA? I would love to have half a pound of each... if not, I'd want a pound of imperial pearl

Its easier if we can each order a pound, I think. Unless, if we can find someone who does want to split 1 lb of GABA with you. We can wait a few more days.

May 25th, '15, 17:57
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 25th, '15, 17:57

Imperial Pearl: oolong from China

Black Pearl: about 90% oxidation so can be called oolong or black tea, from Sumatra

As to environmental concerns: Usually, people get pushed around. What they want & need is not what influences what happens. The Black Pearl to me was delicious though very simple in flavor; only good for one infusion. Not to buy this tea is not too great a sacrifice; though a successful challenge to the corrupt bullies who ruin the land, water, & air of Indonesia is almost beyond imagination.

I'd be happy to get 1/2 lb. of Imperial Pearl & 1/2 lb. of Dark Roast TGY, if this can be completed in the next 2 weeks.

Mountain Tea should be willing to break up one-pound orders into half pounds as a service for free. It is a good-sized order & the second from Teachat. I'd even ask if orders of 1 or more pounds in half-pound packaging could be shipped directly to each buyer rather than we all pay for shipping twice; or, ask MT for free shipping to the organizer of the group buy. By the way, thanks for doing this.

May 25th, '15, 18:09

by Muadeeb » May 25th, '15, 18:09

I'd be good for 1 pound of darkroast TKY and 1/2 pound of the green heart oolong if someone would like to split a pound with me.

May 25th, '15, 18:22

by Tea Fiend » May 25th, '15, 18:22

Good idea ethan,
I sent them a message, asking them if they will send to multiple addresses. I'll post their reply once I get it.

Thanks for the interest guys. This is my first time getting this together, and I'll take responsibility for the order. It should work. Unless Mountaintea can really help us out with the logistics, I would prefer to order 4-5 lbs only. So, the response I am getting from you all so far is about the ideal number of lbs i can handle.

May 25th, '15, 18:31

by Tea Fiend » May 25th, '15, 18:31

They havn't replied yet... (its only been less than 10 mins ago... =p)

Apparently their web interface will allow sending to 4 different addresses. I placed some arbitrary address, and they will calculate shipping to each of them.

This simplifies our logistics. However, we will still need to set of some form of web payment. I think i will start a paypal account.

btw, I am not doing this to make money. just want to save money and drink good tea. thats all.

May 25th, '15, 18:39

Re:

by Bef » May 25th, '15, 18:39

Muadeeb wrote:I'd be good for 1 pound of darkroast TKY and 1/2 pound of the green heart oolong if someone would like to split a pound with me.
I'm curious, did you ever tried that Green Heart Oolong? What's your experience with that tea?

+ Post Reply