Sourness in young high roasted/high oxidized oolong?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 23rd, '15, 19:28

Sourness in young high roasted/high oxidized oolong?

by Zacherywolf7 » Oct 23rd, '15, 19:28

Any one have any thoughts or opinions about finding sourness in young high roasted/high oxidized oolong? I have a Buddha's Hand (maybe it is the cultivar) and I want to love it but sourness gets in the way. It was harvested and roasted this year so storage can not be to blame (not too mention I am in the pacific northwest of the US). It borders near a black tea which I have very little experience with - do black teas have sourness? Here is the link to the tea:https://songtea.com/tea/oolong/buddha-hand

Thank you.

Oct 23rd, '15, 23:48

Re: Sourness in young high roasted/high oxidized oolong?

by Tead Off » Oct 23rd, '15, 23:48

Zacherywolf7 wrote:Any one have any thoughts or opinions about finding sourness in young high roasted/high oxidized oolong? I have a Buddha's Hand (maybe it is the cultivar) and I want to love it but sourness gets in the way. It was harvested and roasted this year so storage can not be to blame (not too mention I am in the pacific northwest of the US). It borders near a black tea which I have very little experience with - do black teas have sourness? Here is the link to the tea:https://songtea.com/tea/oolong/buddha-hand

Thank you.
It's very difficult to comment on what you are tasting without sharing the same tea. Some people like sourness.

Some suggestions to how you are brewing the tea, what kind of vessel you use, and the actual quality of the tea, all come to mind. What I usually do with a tea that I'm not satisfied with is change how I'm brewing it. If I can't find a satisfactory way, I don't bother with the tea. It's not worth the effort if you don't like it.

Oct 24th, '15, 02:47

by kyarazen » Oct 24th, '15, 02:47

Zacherywolf7 wrote:Any one have any thoughts or opinions about finding sourness in young high roasted/high oxidized oolong? I have a Buddha's Hand (maybe it is the cultivar) and I want to love it but sourness gets in the way. It was harvested and roasted this year so storage can not be to blame (not too mention I am in the pacific northwest of the US). It borders near a black tea which I have very little experience with - do black teas have sourness? Here is the link to the tea:https://songtea.com/tea/oolong/buddha-hand

Thank you.
check the water content of the leaf! crush one of the leaves and see if it becomes a fine powder easily. if not, it probably had picked up some moisture and the sourness can be rid by a light bake

Nov 5th, '15, 01:50

by tingjunkie » Nov 5th, '15, 01:50

In my experience, high fire Taiwanese gaoshan can not be brewed the same way as high fired mainland Anxi oolongs on account of the stems. If you try to really fill a pot or gaiwan with roasted gaoshan and push it even a little, a lot of sourness will come out. Try reducing the leaf to water ratio and see if that helps.

Nov 6th, '15, 01:12

by Zacherywolf7 » Nov 6th, '15, 01:12

I did crush a leaf, most of it powdered easily and there was a chunk that was very hard and pointy and small so I couldn't crush it. Don't know if that counts though. I brewed it up once more with quicker steeps and less tea using my usually 205 f water (Almost consistently for me this is good for high and medium roast tea) with a slow smooth pour and it did not really help.

I am putting it away for a while. If the tannins are what are causing acid which I might be perceiving as sour then I will hope that tannins integrate into the tea over the years as they do in aging a red wine. Maybe this is only wishful thinking? And, for storing oolong should the tin be full or have room for air?

Thank you.

Nov 6th, '15, 22:25

by tingjunkie » Nov 6th, '15, 22:25

Hmmm... sounds poorly roasted then. Doing a quick re-roast as kyarazen mentioned might help. Letting it sit a while might too. Good luck and hope it improves.

+ Post Reply