Oolong Vendors (Roasted, heavier teas)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 16th, '15, 20:19

Oolong Vendors (Roasted, heavier teas)

by tst » Nov 16th, '15, 20:19

Since our Tea Vendor guides are rarely updated (and with frequent vendor turn-over), I'm looking for some information on where you all buy your oolongs.

Specifically, I'm looking for more roasted teas (no high mountain, nuclear green teas here). Taiwanese, Fujian, Wuyi ... any of these I'd be interested in.

Any vendors with pretty solid offerings across the board?

Thanks.

Nov 18th, '15, 02:00

Re: Oolong Vendors (Roasted, heavier teas)

by Tead Off » Nov 18th, '15, 02:00

TST,

You can try with confidence JK Tea Shop and Tea Hong, both in Asia with online stores.

Tea Hong's Cassia Extraordinaire is something you should try and it will be out of stock very soon, so don't wait. I found this one to be their best.

JK Teas has a solid lineup with very reasonable pricing. Their sample Wuyi packs are well worth the price and will give you something to ponder for quite some time. Some are better than others, but nothing stands out as much as Cassia Extraordinaire at Tea Hong. Nevertheless, JK should be tried.

I haven't bought from Jing in a very long time. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Yunnan Sourcing falls quite short for me, but their new venture, Taiwan Sourcing may have some good roasted choices and I will try them at some time.

EOT and Tea Urchin are also popular choices, generally more expensive than others. I haven't had any EOT, but Tea Urchin has very decent Yancha. I haven't tried them in a long time.

This should keep you busy for quite awhile. :D

Nov 18th, '15, 14:00

by wyardley » Nov 18th, '15, 14:00

There are some exceptions, but I've found that generally, vendors will have the best connections for oolongs of one region, possibly 2. If you want to find good heavier-fire oolongs, you may need to look to a number of vendors.

Nov 18th, '15, 15:39

by Frisbeehead » Nov 18th, '15, 15:39

wyardley wrote:There are some exceptions, but I've found that generally, vendors will have the best connections for oolongs of one region, possibly 2. If you want to find good heavier-fire oolongs, you may need to look to a number of vendors.
Agreed. I use a different vendor for each type/region of tea for the most part. There are some exceptions, but for the most part this is completely true for quality tea.

tst, Tead mentioned the ones I was going to recommend. So there you go :)

Nov 18th, '15, 20:16

by JRS22 » Nov 18th, '15, 20:16

Tead Off wrote:Tea Hong's Cassia Extraordinaire is something you should try and it will be out of stock very soon, so don't wait. I found this one to be their best.
Stock update - I just bought the last bag. Thanks for the tip.

Nov 18th, '15, 22:40

by Frisbeehead » Nov 18th, '15, 22:40

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Tea Hong's Cassia Extraordinaire is something you should try and it will be out of stock very soon, so don't wait. I found this one to be their best.
I just bought some right after I read tead's post...and you're right, it's sold out now.

Wow, good timing :mrgreen:

Nov 19th, '15, 04:29

by Tead Off » Nov 19th, '15, 04:29

JRS22 wrote:
:evil: :evil: :D

Nov 19th, '15, 12:54

by tst » Nov 19th, '15, 12:54

Thanks for the help gang. I've had a few of EoT's offerings ... steep for sure. Can't say I've ever tried any of the others though. Will check them out for sure.

Thanks again.

Nov 19th, '15, 16:32

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Nov 19th, '15, 16:32

PM sent..... :D

Nov 19th, '15, 18:35

by BioHorn » Nov 19th, '15, 18:35

This roasted DHP is very similar to roasted Rou Gui:

http://yunnansourcing.com/en/wuyimounta ... ntain.html
It is an excellent bargain for the price. I use it as a daily drinker.

You may find the write-up here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=3570

I have liked TeaHong's DanCong oolongs. They seem like a very high quality source.

+ Post Reply