Yunnan sourcings Yancha

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 8th, '16, 00:34

Re: Yunnan sourcings Yancha

by LouPepe » May 8th, '16, 00:34

DVS wrote:Its Funny gasninja was asking about recommendations for good lower cost yancha from YS, and the thread turned into people talking about their preferred brewing methods. lol

I haven't ordered wuyi from YS before. But this vendor has gotten good reviews, and its under a dollar a gram.

http://tea-yuan.com/collections/frontpa ... 14-rou-gui
Good pointing this out :). There's no one right or wrong theory or technique to just about anything. Too much arguing in ones favor blinds and stunts forward thinking and innovation.

As for the YS Yancha, I too have found most of it lacking. Sure many offer good aroma but the liquor IMO leaves much to be desired in complexity and aftertaste. Maybe there is an offering or two which is exceptional, but I've not come across it. But, as with most all YS tea, price is not bad, and they are generous with samples and sales.

May 8th, '16, 04:16

by .m. » May 8th, '16, 04:16

Tead Off wrote: YS teas are not my idea of everyday drinking teas. There may be some that could pass that test like their black teas and some puerh cakes, but I found the Yancha lacking as well as other oolongs they sell. I actually tire of drinking them. This is an observation made over time, years, in fact. This is not the only vendor that I've bought from and changed my opinion of over time. For me, the teas have to stand up for more than a few months, especially roasted oolongs. I don't mind paying a bit more if the quality is there.
I haven't tried many of their Yanchas, and nothing from their current offering, but my past experience was similar to what Tead Off is saying. I've got a few hundred grams of a Rougui I've ordered about 3 or 4 years ago in order to age, which had some positive reviews back then as a good everyday tea, so i taste it once in a while, find it unsatisfying, and return back to storage with not much hope.

May 8th, '16, 06:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 8th, '16, 06:21

Well, good yancha ain't cheap. TeadOff is right on. Cheap = mediocre or even bad yancha, unless you have a heck of a hookup.

May 8th, '16, 06:31

by Tead Off » May 8th, '16, 06:31

.m. wrote:
Tead Off wrote: YS teas are not my idea of everyday drinking teas. There may be some that could pass that test like their black teas and some puerh cakes, but I found the Yancha lacking as well as other oolongs they sell. I actually tire of drinking them. This is an observation made over time, years, in fact. This is not the only vendor that I've bought from and changed my opinion of over time. For me, the teas have to stand up for more than a few months, especially roasted oolongs. I don't mind paying a bit more if the quality is there.
I haven't tried many of their Yanchas, and nothing from their current offering, but my past experience was similar to what Tead Off is saying. I've got a few hundred grams of a Rougui I've ordered about 3 or 4 years ago in order to age, which had some positive reviews back then as a good everyday tea, so i taste it once in a while, find it unsatisfying, and return back to storage with not much hope.
The best thing to do with their Yancha is refresh them in a roaster of your choice. Just a light heating to reduce moisture and perk up the oils. It's never a bad idea to try this with many teas.

May 8th, '16, 07:19

by .m. » May 8th, '16, 07:19

Tead Off wrote: The best thing to do with their Yancha is refresh them in a roaster of your choice. Just a light heating to reduce moisture and perk up the oils. It's never a bad idea to try this with many teas.
Good idea :) i should definitely try that.

May 8th, '16, 18:20

by bagua7 » May 8th, '16, 18:20

Here's a page I found that offers a review of several vendors in the low, middle and high level classes:

Wuyi Oolong Tea Vendors

Hope this is useful and especially to "Mr ninja" as he's the one that opened this thread. :mrgreen:

May 25th, '16, 02:56

by theredbaron » May 25th, '16, 02:56

With Yancha often you get what you pay for. I would say that Essence of Tea may quite possibly have the best Yancha one can get online, but at a very high though appropriate price.
Some of Yunnansourcing's Yanchas are very good for every day drinking, they are solid mid range teas, but of course will not come close to the much higher priced teas by Essence of Tea.
Some of Yunnansourcing's Shui Xiens are quite OK, and i also liked the Fu Shou.
I drink my more expensive and rare Yancha once a while, to save on them, and mid range Yancha on an every day basis. Each has its place in my tea line up.

Jul 2nd, '19, 03:32

by kagemi » Jul 2nd, '19, 03:32

jayinhk wrote: Gotcha. I tend to buy yancha in HK or from Taobao myself, but YS and Chawang do have some interesting teas. I'd buy 50g of each of the ones that interested me. I almost did just that a few days ago, but I have 500g of charcoal baked dancong coming in. I'm trying to be good! ;)
Hi, would you might recommending me some of your favorite Taobao stores to buy yancha from? Thank you! :D

+ Post Reply