On Dongding and highest quality tea

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 17th, '16, 01:57

Re: On Dongding and highest quality tea

by Bok » Aug 17th, '16, 01:57

kyarazen wrote: yes.. that is a very "southern" way of doing things to achieve the flavour/profile they are looking for.
Thanks!

So what would you recommend in terms of how long to age it (minimum > optimum)?
And also, ceramic jar with wax seal is probably best as storage, isn’t it?

Aug 17th, '16, 02:51

by Haddemall » Aug 17th, '16, 02:51

Bok wrote:So back to the valleys of Lugu and Dong Ding tea…

All the talk in the group buy got me curious about Chen Hauyings tea.
Got me some heavy roasted Dong Ding. After the recommended awakening procedure (took only about a tea in my climate), I started to brew it.

Finished two sessions before passing on my opinion. One with a porcelain pot, the second with simple Taiwanese glazed clay and porcelain cups.

My comparisons to this tea would be a similarily roasted Lishan from my usual sources, various Dong Ding of unknown provenance which I had been gifted over the years and a Hung Shui oolong from the Jade Leaf. His would probably come closest to CHY Dong Ding, both are charcoal roasted.

What sets CHY’s apart from the others is, apart from the pricetag, the lack of any sour notes which tend to come up in all the others I had. Especially if pushed too hard, or forgotten about. Very clear mouthfeel and some interesting flavours going on. Hints of some flavours I previously had with some very good Laocha. Altogether nicely rounded and very balanced profile. Can‘t put my finger on it but a lot what is sold as DD has a “dirty” ruggedness about it, this tea is the opposite and feels clean.

What I was missing is a bit more throatfeel and aftertaste, but maybe that is due to being a real Dong Ding and thus from a lower elevation? Also not going for as long as I had expected, around 3 very good, six good and a couple more of ok-ish infusions. Either need to change my brewing parameters or stop after six. I have too much tea too drink to max out one session. Some people do that, but I do not see the point of drinking lightly flavoured water :lol:

All in all pretty good stuff and definitely something different to most other DD I had.
Hi Bok,

I think that is what I wanted to say but couldn't. My english is not that great after all. I think you nailed it pretty well.

Aug 17th, '16, 10:38

by Bok » Aug 17th, '16, 10:38

just found something on the topic http://www.marshaln.com/2016/05/competition-trouble/
Guess that answers a lot of my original question :mrgreen:

Aug 17th, '16, 12:08
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 17th, '16, 12:08

Bok wrote:just found something on the topic http://www.marshaln.com/2016/05/competition-trouble/
Guess that answers a lot of my original question :mrgreen:
That blogpost says that competitions raise tea prices; that we benefit & suffer from competitions. When we read about a "winnter", we still may not know all that we want to know about that tea. E.g., we consumers often remain ignorant of whether a tea will provide mouthfeel or abundant pleasant aftertaste. Pay a fortune on-line? Even tasting in person does not tell all.

Highest quality Taiwan oolong has provided pleasant mouthfeel & aftertaste when drunk in quantity. Having one large cup or a few small cups quickly, gave that & great flavor. Spreading rounds out over 15 - 30 hours did not always work out quite as well. Sometimes bitterness came into play. How would we know this from usual tasting sessions? (However, when tea is that good, why not devote some time for proper, extended sessions?)

Marshain warns that paying a fortune may not get one satisfaction & reminds us that there is good tea that is not the highest priced. On the other hand kyarazen's recent distribution of high-end foushoushan has many teachatters posting that their $ was well spent.

Living in Taiwan, Bok, I expect you will find an opportunity once or twice a year to get the best w/o worrying you won't be able to send your child to college. Please, save a taste of that tea for me. Cheers

Aug 18th, '16, 06:10

by Tead Off » Aug 18th, '16, 06:10

This thread has me wondering about the Dong Ding market. For example, most good to high quality gaoshan from Lishan fetches much higher prices when NOT processed into a Dong Ding 'style'. Why would a farmer or tea master do this to fetch a lower price? Of course, if you win a competition, the price soars.

Subjectively speaking, most of the Dong Ding I've drunk seems like a lower grade tea to me, even the ones from higher altitudes. Most of them have a roughness to them appearing at some point in the brewing session. Too many have lost the refined flavors and aromas of the original gaoshan. Granted, there may be gems hidden amongst all the offerings, but to wade through so much mediocre tea doesn't seem worth it to this drinker. I am seriously wondering if most of the teas labeled Dong Ding are lower grade teas?

I remember some years ago I bought some baked Lishan from EOT that was quite good. Nothing like what most of the online sellers are offering now. I am very much turned off by the direction that most of these roasted Taiwanese teas have taken. OTOH, the green gaoshans of Lishan still outclass all of the other teas and remain 'King', or Wang, for me. If I want roasted teas, I turn to the mainland for Wuyi and TGY, and some Dancong varieties. For me, incomparable and in another 'zone' than Dong Ding.

Aug 18th, '16, 06:50

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '16, 06:50

dongding style of making is related to the cultural and tea history of taiwan. one doesnt simply take a dump at this tea profile in preference of lighter oxidations, but of course if there isnt any respect for other's cultures then its altogether another subject.

the heavier oxidation, heavier roast, and the profile of teas along this line, be it wuyi, dancong, dongding, tgy, muzha. apart from tea, i play with fragrances, oud, agarwood oils, my focus is always on the classical, the historical, the culture behind these. some of the oils can be rancid, foul, animalic, fecal, but beautiful in its own right.

it is like sheng pu, i've had enough fun there, the profile of gushu styled tea is a decade to a decade and a half old, not something that i would actively seek out nor shell out big dollars for (having had done a little of that), but everyone has their own preferences and i'm not going to say oolong is superior or inferior to gushu (since the kneading/processing of gushu does make it somewhat "oolongish" on the oxidation scale)

Aug 18th, '16, 07:56

by Tead Off » Aug 18th, '16, 07:56

kyarazen wrote:dongding style of making is related to the cultural and tea history of taiwan. one doesnt simply take a dump at this tea profile in preference of lighter oxidations, but of course if there isnt any respect for other's cultures then its altogether another subject.

the heavier oxidation, heavier roast, and the profile of teas along this line, be it wuyi, dancong, dongding, tgy, muzha. apart from tea, i play with fragrances, oud, agarwood oils, my focus is always on the classical, the historical, the culture behind these. some of the oils can be rancid, foul, animalic, fecal, but beautiful in its own right.

it is like sheng pu, i've had enough fun there, the profile of gushu styled tea is a decade to a decade and a half old, not something that i would actively seek out nor shell out big dollars for (having had done a little of that), but everyone has their own preferences and i'm not going to say oolong is superior or inferior to gushu (since the kneading/processing of gushu does make it somewhat "oolongish" on the oxidation scale)
How old would you say the culture of Dong Ding is in Taiwan?

I believe I mentioned my post as 'subjective'. But you didn't address any of my questions, just added your subjective approach to it which is fine by me. Questioning can be the beginning of discovery. After all, what is tradition or nouveau based on?

Aug 18th, '16, 09:32

by Bok » Aug 18th, '16, 09:32

I heard that in recent years the weather has been more unpredictable due to the climate change. So one way to cover imperfections in tea leaves is to process them as roasted or black teas. In a greener tea those lower quality leaves could not been hidden as easily.

Dong Ding or roasted teas are also the - if you can call it that - the tea of the street. Working class and older generations prefer it to the greener ones. Go down south or anywhere outside of Taipei and there are a lot more people drinking roasted teas.

One has to remember that until the 80ies DD was the highest elevation and most expensive tea!
Times change...

Aug 18th, '16, 10:12

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '16, 10:12

Tead Off wrote: How old would you say the culture of Dong Ding is in Taiwan?

I believe I mentioned my post as 'subjective'. But you didn't address any of my questions, just added your subjective approach to it which is fine by me. Questioning can be the beginning of discovery. After all, what is tradition or nouveau based on?
two separate records. one approx mid qing, the other early qing.

Aug 18th, '16, 10:19

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '16, 10:19

Bok wrote:I heard that in recent years the weather has been more unpredictable due to the climate change. So one way to cover imperfections in tea leaves is to process them as roasted or black teas. In a greener tea those lower quality leaves could not been hidden as easily.

Dong Ding or roasted teas are also the - if you can call it that - the tea of the street. Working class and older generations prefer it to the greener ones. Go down south or anywhere outside of Taipei and there are a lot more people drinking roasted teas.

One has to remember that until the 80ies DD was the highest elevation and most expensive tea!
Times change...
in the early days the zhong hua tea culture association of taiwan had branded top 10 teas from taiwan.. dongding is just one of them.. the best were pricey, but other good teas in the list werent much cheaper either. i.e. dongding, wenshan baozhong, baihao, song bo chang qing, muzha tgy, sanxia longjin, alishan zhu lu, gaoshan cha, long quan cha, riyuetan hongchawulong.

anyone remembers the black gold high mountain tea? 黑金典藏?

Aug 18th, '16, 12:39

by Tead Off » Aug 18th, '16, 12:39

kyarazen wrote:
Bok wrote:I heard that in recent years the weather has been more unpredictable due to the climate change. So one way to cover imperfections in tea leaves is to process them as roasted or black teas. In a greener tea those lower quality leaves could not been hidden as easily.

Times change...
in the early days the zhong hua tea culture association of taiwan had branded top 10 teas from taiwan.. dongding is just one of them.. the best were pricey, but other good teas in the list werent much cheaper either. i.e. dongding, wenshan baozhong, baihao, song bo chang qing, muzha tgy, sanxia longjin, alishan zhu lu, gaoshan cha, long quan cha, riyuetan hongchawulong.

anyone remembers the black gold high mountain tea? 黑金典藏?
More info on Dong Ding.

Aug 18th, '16, 13:18

by kyarazen » Aug 18th, '16, 13:18

Tead Off wrote: More info on Dong Ding.
林凤池's descendents and 酥家's 哲园 will give the most authoritative info on dongding origin.

price talk makes lesser sense when compared from different vendors, from different regions, different leaf material, season, and each having different markups, profit margins and bubbles. any of the top 10 teas, at the right grades.. can be incredibly expensive.

Aug 18th, '16, 16:44

by xabi » Aug 18th, '16, 16:44

kyarazen wrote:
Tead Off wrote: More info on Dong Ding.
林凤池's descendents and 酥家's 哲园 will give the most authoritative info on dongding origin.

price talk makes lesser sense when compared from different vendors, from different regions, different leaf material, season, and each having different markups, profit margins and bubbles. any of the top 10 teas, at the right grades.. can be incredibly expensive.
Yeap. I agree. Taiwan tea can be really really expensive.

Especially if it has to be hyped up elsewhere or take a big detour on its way to the final consumer in order to fill some middleman's pockets for the sake of "service to the community" :mrgreen:

Aug 18th, '16, 22:04

by Bok » Aug 18th, '16, 22:04

xabi wrote: Yeap. I agree. Taiwan tea can be really really expensive.

Especially if it has to be hyped up elsewhere or take a big detour on its way to the final consumer in order to fill some middleman's pockets for the sake of "service to the community" :mrgreen:
Well, that is really the nature of business and human behaviour. Nothing is free in life. And we can not expect to have excellent “authentic” tea at a reasonable price by only sitting home and ordering online. Nothing replaces to go and see for yourself in the country of origin. There are lots of interesting things out there that can not be found via the interweb, or are simply unavailable without the proper connections. Even for Taiwanese, a lot of teas are out of reach for the ordinary person.

In Taiwan especially, you will only get a fair price for the tea, when you are:
– Taiwanese
– Have a longstanding relationship via personal introduction by someone preferably Taiwanese.

That is how it is. Which is why I only buy tea from the vendors whom I know, or who know me, else my wife buys the tea for me.
I have an example where I bought from a farmer directly, price given to my wife was less than half (sorry just edited that typo)of what was communicated to me…
Last edited by Bok on Aug 18th, '16, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 18th, '16, 22:07

by Bok » Aug 18th, '16, 22:07

What concerns the “hype” – well if you believe the hype, fault’s on you, you pay the price. Humans are sheep for the most part, one starts to run, the others will follow. In the end it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: everyone says it’s good, I paid a lot for it, so it must be good! Otherwise we would have to admit that our own judgement may have failed :mrgreen:

But if you refer to the recent hype, I do not think it was unjustified.

+ Post Reply