Do you like Dan Cong tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 7th, '16, 13:10

Re: Do you like Dan Cong tea?

by benm3 » Dec 7th, '16, 13:10

jayinhk wrote:
ethan wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Dancong appears to be a lot like baozhong as far as flavor profile and processing, but with different terroir. Good baozhong is cheaper than good DC, so if you're chasing the orchid flavor, go with baozhong IMO! Still, they are sufficiently different that I like having both around.
Hmmn

I thought dancong was like baozhong only when both are at the less impressive range of how good they can be. In my very limited experience w/ dancong, some have been a bit like very good rui (again limited experience) including the taste of stone fruits which I don't associate w/ baozhong unless it is aged.

Good aged baozhong had wonderful flavor of dried stone fruits for me.

Gets confusing. I have Baozhong that was floral but no longer is. ( Now it is like a good light-medium roasted gaoshan.) Perhaps it is moving towards dancong, but I do not think it will be like best dancong.
I believe all dancong is shuixian varietal, but with different processing. Not sure about baozhong. Fresh dancong (green) tastes a lot like fresh baozhong because of the low temperature roast (around 100 degrees)--orchid and fruit. I've had much more complexity from fresh baozhong, but I think that's just because you get more for your money with baozhong than dancong nowadays. Rougui can be similar to dancong at times too. You're right that the stone fruit with baozhong is only present in higher roast stuff (like higher roast dancong and rougui). Aged baozhong is always reroasted. Roast temperature changes the aroma and flavor profile more than anything else with the three varietals it seems.
"Shui Xian" varietal Dan Cong is not, for instance, the same varietal as Shui Xian Yan Cha. It is its own distinct varietal.

Dec 7th, '16, 19:54
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 7th, '16, 19:54

benm3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
ethan wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Dancong appears to be a lot like baozhong as far as flavor profile and processing, but with different terroir. Good baozhong is cheaper than good DC, so if you're chasing the orchid flavor, go with baozhong IMO! Still, they are sufficiently different that I like having both around.
Hmmn

I thought dancong was like baozhong only when both are at the less impressive range of how good they can be. In my very limited experience w/ dancong, some have been a bit like very good rui (again limited experience) including the taste of stone fruits which I don't associate w/ baozhong unless it is aged.

Good aged baozhong had wonderful flavor of dried stone fruits for me.

Gets confusing. I have Baozhong that was floral but no longer is. ( Now it is like a good light-medium roasted gaoshan.) Perhaps it is moving towards dancong, but I do not think it will be like best dancong.
I believe all dancong is shuixian varietal, but with different processing. Not sure about baozhong. Fresh dancong (green) tastes a lot like fresh baozhong because of the low temperature roast (around 100 degrees)--orchid and fruit. I've had much more complexity from fresh baozhong, but I think that's just because you get more for your money with baozhong than dancong nowadays. Rougui can be similar to dancong at times too. You're right that the stone fruit with baozhong is only present in higher roast stuff (like higher roast dancong and rougui). Aged baozhong is always reroasted. Roast temperature changes the aroma and flavor profile more than anything else with the three varietals it seems.
"Shui Xian" varietal Dan Cong is not, for instance, the same varietal as Shui Xian Yan Cha. It is its own distinct varietal.
Actually, I was wondering about that yesterday. I hear the Wuyi shuixian was actually taken over from the Phoenix mountains and isn't native to Wuyi. I was wondering if the difference taste was just a difference in oxidation/processing.

Dec 19th, '16, 08:04
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '16, 08:04

The seller just messaged me asking if I was Haddemall. I said I wasn't, but what he said is true--her teas are subpar and I'm sorry I spent the money on them. She asked me to send them back for a refund, but it won't make it through Chinese Customs (not even from Hong Kong).

Dec 19th, '16, 08:46

by Haddemall » Dec 19th, '16, 08:46

Thats really an insult, Jay. You're much more good looking than I.

Dec 19th, '16, 09:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '16, 09:02

Haddemall wrote:Thats really an insult, Jay. You're much more good looking than I.
:lol: She kept insisting I was you. I eventually asked her how many times she was going to ask me, and then she asked if you sold dancong. She told me her father and grandfather were offended. I was like lady, we don't care what your father or grandfather think, we care about tea quality. If you're dealing with Western consumers, we call crap crap when we see it (or taste it, in this case).

I wonder how she found this thread? Regardless, we gave her a chance, and she sent substandard tea. If she's reading this she needs to sell better tea at better prices, because there are lots of places to buy good dancong nowadays. I suspect she'll continue selling bad tea at high prices and will continue to do well, because she is very aggressive on Instagram (downright annoying, actually). I respect her hardworking nature, but I blocked her on there earlier tonight.

Dec 19th, '16, 09:11

by organictealin » Dec 19th, '16, 09:11

Haddemall wrote:I'm sure many of you have noticed a chinese seller offering ''free'' samples for 25 USD on instagram. Well, I went for it a got 4 samples of different teas. I must have been sent the wrong tea because they were some the worst teas I have ever come across. Which is strange, I've seen vendors selling them and bloggers rave about them. My samples went into the trash, they were that strange tasting. I normally buy superb DC from Hojo, Tea hong and a local seller who carries a nice selection. The instagram DC tasted vegetal and watery.

I'm not really that upset but I guess that 25 bucks could have been spent on other stuff.

Haddemall

Dec 19th, '16, 09:17

by organictealin » Dec 19th, '16, 09:17

Haddemall wrote:I'm sure many of you have noticed a chinese seller offering ''free'' samples for 25 USD on instagram. Well, I went for it a got 4 samples of different teas. I must have been sent the wrong tea because they were some the worst teas I have ever come across. Which is strange, I've seen vendors selling them and bloggers rave about them. My samples went into the trash, they were that strange tasting. I normally buy superb DC from Hojo, Tea hong and a local seller who carries a nice selection. The instagram DC tasted vegetal and watery.

I'm not really that upset but I guess that 25 bucks could have been spent on other stuff.

Haddemall

Dec 19th, '16, 09:24

by organictealin » Dec 19th, '16, 09:24

jayinhk wrote:
Haddemall wrote:Thats really an insult, Jay. You're much more good looking than I.
:lol: She kept insisting I was you. I eventually asked her how many times she was going to ask me, and then she asked if you sold dancong. She told me her father and grandfather were offended. I was like lady, we don't care what your father or grandfather think, we care about tea quality. If you're dealing with Western consumers, we call crap crap when we see it (or taste it, in this case).

I wonder how she found this thread? Regardless, we gave her a chance, and she sent substandard tea. If she's reading this she needs to sell better tea at better prices, because there are lots of places to buy good dancong nowadays. I suspect she'll continue selling bad tea at high prices and will continue to do well, because she is very aggressive on Instagram (downright annoying, actually). I respect her hardworking nature, but I blocked her on there earlier tonight.

Dec 19th, '16, 09:30

by organictealin » Dec 19th, '16, 09:30

Dear ,I have told my family about you are the first are not satisfied with our tea , and we have know you have other fenghudang doncong supplier ,my grandfather said why you doing bad publicity on our tea,is there have some misunderstanding ?we would like to understand what you dislike in our tea. We are sincere farmer and we never try to fool customers,We are open to discussion and assume that everyone has his own taste.Wudong village in n the Fenghuang mountains and is grown at high altitude (1000+ meters). These environmental factors play an enormous role (tea friend could google our hometown :wudong village ,fenghuang town ,chaoan,chaozhou guangdong province )feel free to share more details about your impressions or feeling on our teas, spring april is the best time to come to my hometown

Dec 19th, '16, 09:31

by Haddemall » Dec 19th, '16, 09:31

One sad effect is that I now feel reluctant to buy from other farm direct sellers. Which is a bit of a shame really.

Dec 19th, '16, 10:17
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '16, 10:17

organictealin wrote:Dear ,I have told my family about you are the first are not satisfied with our tea , and we have know you have other fenghudang doncong supplier ,my grandfather said why you doing bad publicity on our tea,is there have some misunderstanding ?we would like to understand what you dislike in our tea. We are sincere farmer and we never try to fool customers,We are open to discussion and assume that everyone has his own taste.Wudong village in n the Fenghuang mountains and is grown at high altitude (1000+ meters). These environmental factors play an enormous role (tea friend could google our hometown :wudong village ,fenghuang town ,chaoan,chaozhou guangdong province )feel free to share more details about your impressions or feeling on our teas, spring april is the best time to come to my hometown
The quality of your tea was subpar and you are asking for too much money for what you're selling. End of story. Look back to page one to see what I didn't like specifically. One tasted of mold and the other was lacking in flavor. One was ok, and I have one left to try, but I'm not really all that excited about trying it!
Last edited by jayinhk on Dec 19th, '16, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 19th, '16, 10:17

by organictealin » Dec 19th, '16, 10:17

Hi again ,my father said ,good tea depends on : 1,  high altitude 2, soil 3,varieties of tea 4 age of tree 5 good timing, geographical convenience and good human relations Production of the tea in the mood
Tea is a life, it in each person's hand, because the brewing method is not the same, showing a different style, but its essence will not change.
i would be pleased to search with you what you didn't like in our teas. Is it the aroma ? The hui gan ? Mouth or body feeling ? What are your references as "good DanCong" and let me know what you are looking for when you drink such tea. I am confident in being able to propose you something you may enjoy."
my family are ready to propose some other tea range that may suits better there taste.

it is better to drink tea with low mineral water and with a pH between 6.5 and 7.5
older trees often have less aroma than younger ones .But stronger body feeling

Dec 19th, '16, 10:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 19th, '16, 10:21

Good dancong has a pleasant flavor that lasts through several infusions, is clean and has no off flavors at all. None of your teas fit the bill. I'm sorry, I'm not interested in buying any tea from you now.

Dec 19th, '16, 13:45

by Haddemall » Dec 19th, '16, 13:45

I agree with Jay 100 per cent.

I mean no disrespect to you or your family but the tea I was sent has nothing to do with high quality dan cong. Such tea has an incredible taste and aroma and can be brewed 15+ times.

+ Post Reply