Flash Brewing (touch-and-go)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 5th, '17, 16:01

Flash Brewing (touch-and-go)

by Noonie » Jan 5th, '17, 16:01

I was on Hojo's site and there are several times he references "touch-and-go" brewing, where you steep the tea for as long as it takes you to put the kettle down and pour out the liquor. Up to now, I've been using what I thought was gong fu (shorter than "western" method using a large teapot)...where for something like Wuyi I would fill the yixing a 1/3rd of the way and brew for maybe 20s, 20s, 30s, 45s, etc. For high mountain oolong, I start at a lower temp than Wuyi and the first brew (after rinse) is maybe 30s, and then I increase time/temp from there. This is much longer than these 3-5 second flash brews.

I'm about to brew up some new Dan Cong I just received, and because I haven't had it for a while, I searched for some starting parameters...and I came across Hojo's recommendation. I'm wondering if I should try a session with flash brews (of course, when I have the time), which would require more tea leaves (Dan Cong is tricky because of the size of the dry leaves, when brewed in a small gaiwan). I'll probably stick with something closer to my Wuyi brewing parameters (using a gaiwan), but would like to get your thoughts for next time!

Jan 5th, '17, 20:01

Re: Flash Brewing (touch-and-go)

by Tead Off » Jan 5th, '17, 20:01

Noonie wrote:I was on Hojo's site and there are several times he references "touch-and-go" brewing, where you steep the tea for as long as it takes you to put the kettle down and pour out the liquor. Up to now, I've been using what I thought was gong fu (shorter than "western" method using a large teapot)...where for something like Wuyi I would fill the yixing a 1/3rd of the way and brew for maybe 20s, 20s, 30s, 45s, etc. For high mountain oolong, I start at a lower temp than Wuyi and the first brew (after rinse) is maybe 30s, and then I increase time/temp from there. This is much longer than these 3-5 second flash brews.

I'm about to brew up some new Dan Cong I just received, and because I haven't had it for a while, I searched for some starting parameters...and I came across Hojo's recommendation. I'm wondering if I should try a session with flash brews (of course, when I have the time), which would require more tea leaves (Dan Cong is tricky because of the size of the dry leaves, when brewed in a small gaiwan). I'll probably stick with something closer to my Wuyi brewing parameters (using a gaiwan), but would like to get your thoughts for next time!
I regularly use 'flash' brewing for many oolongs, both roasted and green type when I'm using smaller pots under 100ml. Many subtle flavors and aroma can be enjoyed when you do shorter brews. I also think your taste buds develop more sensitivity. Dancong teas, in particular, do very well when flashed brewed. It is a good way to avoid astringency and bitterness in teas. Good oolongs do not have to be brewed very long to bring out their qualities.

Jan 6th, '17, 00:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 6th, '17, 00:16

I am doing this as we speak with some Spring 2016 BaiYe Dancong. I am using a stuffed 60ml gaiwan. The first few infusions were 10 seconds long and were too bitter, so now I'm flash infusing and although the flavor is milder, the bitterness and sourness is much less intense.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5ct8dD_7w ... =tealifehk < ---- dry leaf to the top. Once you pour water on, all the leaves will fall into place

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5dV1ODDmo ... =tealifehk First infusion

Jan 6th, '17, 05:57

by Noonie » Jan 6th, '17, 05:57

I tried it last night, using 5g of leaf and 100ml of water. Had about 10 infusions. The last few started to fade slightly, but we're still flavourful.

jayhink- do you know how much leaf (grams) you used for your 60ml gaiwan?

I will probably increase the amount of leaf next time, or simply use less water, as I would like the tea to be a bit stronger, though without any bitterness.

Jan 6th, '17, 06:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 6th, '17, 06:26

Noonie wrote:I tried it last night, using 5g of leaf and 100ml of water. Had about 10 infusions. The last few started to fade slightly, but we're still flavourful.

jayhink- do you know how much leaf (grams) you used for your 60ml gaiwan?

I will probably increase the amount of leaf next time, or simply use less water, as I would like the tea to be a bit stronger, though without any bitterness.
I almost never weigh tea before a session unfortunately--I go by eye. That was one of the fullest gaiwans I've ever dealt with and 10 seconds was too long for the first two infusions. 5g/100ml is standard. 8-10g per 100ml is what a lot of Chaozhou folks like to do. 10 infusions with the last few fading out really isn't bad though!

For Wuyicha I fill teapots to halfway and use the same approximate times you use for 1/3.

Jan 6th, '17, 10:48

by debunix » Jan 6th, '17, 10:48

My first brewing with Dan Cong is always a semi-flash brew: I use a small pot or gaiwan, and the leaves are too long to fit. So I pour the hot water over, push the leaves down into the water as fast as they will soften to do so without breaking, using the lid to herd them in, and pour out as quick as I can once the lid is on.

After that, a bunch of flash infusions until they're too dilute, then I go longer.

I haven't weighed the leaf recently, but I use less leaf than most of my other teas, because it doesn't need much, I like my tea a bit on the dilute side, and because it's very pricey stuff. But still, I get 3-5 flash infusions or more sometimes before I start extending the times.

Jan 9th, '17, 05:43

by Noonie » Jan 9th, '17, 05:43

I've used flash brewing with the same Dan Cong a few times now. I using around 8g / 100ml. The first couple of times I found the tea slightly pungent, so yesterday I used a yixing, that I usually use only with wuyicha, it smoothed it out nicely. Now that the pot is "seasoned" with the Dan Cong I'll likely keep using it for this tea.

+ Post Reply