What do you make Dan Cong in?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 21st, '17, 16:00

What do you make Dan Cong in?

by dizzo » Sep 21st, '17, 16:00

Curious to see if more people use porcelain or clay with these teas.

Sep 21st, '17, 16:43

Re: What do you make Dan Cong in?

by Frisbeehead » Sep 21st, '17, 16:43

I pretty much always use a porcelain gaiwan for phoenix dan cong, usually one of smaller size. I have a 60ml (really small) gaiwan and an 100ml gaiwan, both are good for it. I like thinner porcelain for phoenix dan cong.

I've read a bit about phoenix dan cong and clay, but given that a big draw to phoenix dan cong is its aromatic, floral qualities, pairing phoenix dan cong with clay can be tricky. I have searched through this forum and read blog posts from several tea bloggers, and ultimately it seems the best way is to just test it our yourself and see what you think. High fired clay would be the way to go I think, so you don't lose those aromatic qualities.

Sep 21st, '17, 16:45

by victoria3 » Sep 21st, '17, 16:45

dizzo wrote: Curious to see if more people use porcelain or clay with these teas.
At Imen's tea tastings here in Los Angeles she uses a porcelain gaiwan. She is owner of TeaHabitat and a DanCong expert. I have also used O-Cha's shiboridashi since it is glazed inside. Here is a shot of the shibo with Crystal White Long Jing.
Tea Habitat Crystal White Long Jing Green Tea 2016sm.jpg
Tea Habitat Crystal White Long Jing Green Tea 2016sm.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
And imen at a tasting
Imen TeaHabitat IMG_5758_sm.jpg
Imen TeaHabitat IMG_5758_sm.jpg (295.51 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

Sep 21st, '17, 17:05

by Frisbeehead » Sep 21st, '17, 17:05

Wow, wish I lived near Los Angeles...I've wanted to order from Tea Habitat for some time now, I really want to try her phoenix dan cong. I've read through her blog there's some good information on there about this type of tea.

Oh and you mentioning your O-Cha shibo reminded me that I've used my Hokujo shiboridashi for dan cong before, and the results were very good. The clay Hokujo uses certainly works well with dan cong imo. It's high fired and not too porous, and it doesn't take away from the aromatic and floral qualities of dan cong.

Sep 21st, '17, 17:10

by victoria3 » Sep 21st, '17, 17:10

Frisbeehead wrote: Wow, wish I lived near Los Angeles...I've wanted to order from Tea Habitat for some time now, I really want to try her phoenix dan cong. I've read through her blog there's some good information on there about this type of tea.

Oh and you mentioning your O-Cha shibo reminded me that I've used my Hokujo shiboridashi for dan cong before, and the results were very good. The clay Hokujo uses certainly works well with dan cong imo. It's high fired and not too porous, and it doesn't take away from the aromatic and floral qualities of dan cong.
Yes her blog has good DanCong information. I'll try Hokujo next time, I hadn't considered that idea.

Sep 21st, '17, 22:32
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 21st, '17, 22:32

Usually a 60ml gaiwan from Chaozhou, occasionally a Chaozhou clay pot!

Sep 22nd, '17, 00:17

by debunix » Sep 22nd, '17, 00:17

Chaozhou clay pot, porcelain gaiwan, porcelain pot. Occasionally tiny cheapo ''Yixing' pot.

Sep 22nd, '17, 00:31

by Frisbeehead » Sep 22nd, '17, 00:31

jayinhk wrote: Usually a 60ml gaiwan from Chaozhou, occasionally a Chaozhou clay pot!
Yeah there's something special about loading up my thin 60ml plain white gaiwan with dan cong leaves, doing a nice medium-height swirly pour, scraping the foam/bubbles off the top, and waiting for that aroma to hit.

Sep 22nd, '17, 01:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 22nd, '17, 01:22

Frisbeehead wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Usually a 60ml gaiwan from Chaozhou, occasionally a Chaozhou clay pot!
Yeah there's something special about loading up my thin 60ml plain white gaiwan with dan cong leaves, doing a nice medium-height swirly pour, scraping the foam/bubbles off the top, and waiting for that aroma to hit.
I don't scrape bubbles much anymore...after a good rinse I get to brewing! But yeah, porcelain preserves the aroma and hides nothing. Clay is good for rougher dancong and can make stuff that is otherwise unpleasant very drinkable!

+ Post Reply