Which flowers are commonly associated with oolongs?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 29th, '17, 11:48

Which flowers are commonly associated with oolongs?

by absence » Nov 29th, '17, 11:48

Many oolongs have floral aromas, and I've noticed that the same floral aroma can occur in teas from different areas or produced in different ways. It would be useful to be able to name those aromas, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the names or smells of different flowers. What are the most common flowers that certain styles of oolong are associated with? I'm thinking the most "obvious" ones that most people can agree on, and not the very subtle nuances or unusual variants of a style.

Nov 29th, '17, 12:10

Re: Which flowers are commonly associated with oolongs?

by CWarren » Nov 29th, '17, 12:10

Honeysuckle, gardenia even clover blossoms come across in many of the oolongs I drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 29th, '17, 12:11

by Aya » Nov 29th, '17, 12:11

absence wrote: Many oolongs have floral aromas, and I've noticed that the same floral aroma can occur in teas from different areas or produced in different ways. It would be useful to be able to name those aromas, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the names or smells of different flowers. What are the most common flowers that certain styles of oolong are associated with? I'm thinking the most "obvious" ones that most people can agree on, and not the very subtle nuances or unusual variants of a style.
Orchid for Dan Cong, especially Mi Lan Xian, as it's named. Some of greener Anxi oolong has strong orchid aroma too.

Nov 30th, '17, 05:52

by RitikaAmble » Nov 30th, '17, 05:52

absence wrote: Many oolongs have floral aromas, and I've noticed that the same floral aroma can occur in teas from different areas or produced in different ways. It would be useful to be able to name those aromas, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the names or smells of different flowers. What are the most common flowers that certain styles of oolong are associated with? I'm thinking the most "obvious" ones that most people can agree on, and not the very subtle nuances or unusual variants of a style.
You can easily find oolong tea mostly associated with the jasmine, rose and orchid flowers. Here also shared link from where you can get some flavored oolong teas.

https://techatea.com/oolong-tea/

Nov 30th, '17, 07:00

by absence » Nov 30th, '17, 07:00

So, orchid is common for Dan Cong. Any other specific examples? What about Tie Guan Yin? Bao Zhong? Others?

Nov 30th, '17, 08:23

by Senlin » Nov 30th, '17, 08:23

absence wrote: So, orchid is common for Dan Cong. Any other specific examples? What about Tie Guan Yin? Bao Zhong? Others?
Tie Guan Yin : Lily of the valley, acacia flower
Bao Zhong : white Lilac, peony

Nov 30th, '17, 09:06
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 30th, '17, 09:06

Narcissus for shuixian!

+ Post Reply