What is your favorite Oolong tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

What is your favorite Oolong?

Tie Guan Yin (aka iron godess)
32%
Wuyi
32%
Dan Cong (aka phoenix)
5%
Dong Ding
12%
Bai Hao
7%
Bao Zhong (aka pouchong)
12%

Total votes: 41

Apr 14th, '08, 19:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 14th, '08, 19:21

In the "old days" of 5 years ago or so, green oolongs were simply Pouchongs...around 15% oxidized or so. We referred to greener oolongs as anything 18-around 25%...some would go up to 40%, but that is pretty high for a greener oolong.

Today, it seems acceptable to call anything up to around 25% a green oolong.

Many Taiwan and many Ti Kuan Yin from China fall into this category...and they are my fav oolongs. Although a good Dong Ding is also up there on my list.

Apr 14th, '08, 21:11

by Katrina » Apr 14th, '08, 21:11

Salsero wrote:The world is more complicated and subtle than you ever dreamed, my child.
Ahhh, no worries that I thought this was going to be easy! I'll definitely settle in with wikiCHA sometime soon. Thanks.

Humbly,
Grasshopper

Apr 28th, '08, 04:07

by rosenkraftlos » Apr 28th, '08, 04:07

I have to say the Pouchong is my favorite oolong, and one of my favorite teas. I think the Pouchong from adagio is pretty good.

I like ti kaun yin too, I really like the rose kaun yin from red Blossom Tea Company.

Can someone possibly recommend some others that I might like?

(Please forgive me if I spelled the names of those teas wrong)

Jun 29th, '08, 21:30

by Riene » Jun 29th, '08, 21:30

Is there an Oolong tea (commonly found at a grocery store for a non-astronomical price) that is worth trying? I love my black teas, am experimenting with greens in bags, and would like to try an Oolong.

Also humbly,

Riene
Although my neighbors are all barbarians,
And you, you are a thousand miles away,
There are always two cups on my table.
--Tang Dynasty

Jun 29th, '08, 21:40

by Victoria » Jun 29th, '08, 21:40

Riene wrote:Is there an Oolong tea (commonly found at a grocery store for a non-astronomical price) that is worth trying? I love my black teas, am experimenting with greens in bags, and would like to try an Oolong.

Also humbly,

Riene
Hummm I don't know about a grocery store. Haven't noticed, and they wouldn't be the best representation of oolongs anyway. You don't want to try Adagio's?

Jun 29th, '08, 21:45

by Riene » Jun 29th, '08, 21:45

Victoria wrote:
Riene wrote:Is there an Oolong tea (commonly found at a grocery store for a non-astronomical price) that is worth trying? I love my black teas, am experimenting with greens in bags, and would like to try an Oolong.

Also humbly,

Riene
Hummm I don't know about a grocery store. Haven't noticed, and they wouldn't be the best representation of oolongs anyway. You don't want to try Adagio's?
:oops: I wouldn't know where to begin, with an order. I know nothing about the various steeping methods and times. As much as I love black teas, I don't know enough about the different specific varieties to order those, either.

I may as well hold up a sign that says "NOOB." :roll:

Jun 29th, '08, 22:00

by Chip » Jun 29th, '08, 22:00

Oolong 18 from adagio is a good representation of a greener Taiwan oolong. TKY is another good one to try. But I tend t go for greener representations of oolong.

We were all noobies at one point or another...and only a fool would say they know it all. This does not mean that you cannot enjoy oolong...quite to the contrary!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 29th, '08, 22:03

by RussianSoul » Jun 29th, '08, 22:03

Riene wrote:I wouldn't know where to begin, with an order. I know nothing about the various steeping methods and times. As much as I love black teas, I don't know enough about the different specific varieties to order those, either.
Riene, if I can be so bold, I suggest getting these samples from Adagio:

ti kuan yin
pouchong
oolong #18
oolong #8
peach oolong

They are quite nice and will give you a good variety. We'll guide you through brewing when they will arrive.

Alternatively, you can get an Oolong Sampler, which is highly regarded. Personally, I have reservations about Jasmine #5, but I generally have a dislike for flavored tea. So don't listen to me if you like flavored.

Hope this is helpful.

Jun 29th, '08, 22:23

by Victoria » Jun 29th, '08, 22:23

Yeah the jasmines in the Adagio samplers are not a good idea if you ask me.
Russian Soul has made some excellent recommendations.

Get 'em, come back here, and we'll help you brew them up!

Don't worry! This is how we all got started!

Jun 29th, '08, 23:12

by Riene » Jun 29th, '08, 23:12

Victoria wrote:Don't worry! This is how we all got started!
:lol: There's a fun thought!

OK..I took the plunge and ordered the above, along with a couple black samples as well. I'll let you know when they come in, and will beg for advice!

Jun 29th, '08, 23:38

by Victoria » Jun 29th, '08, 23:38

We'll be right here.
:)

Jun 30th, '08, 11:39

by Tadpole » Jun 30th, '08, 11:39

Libertatis wrote:Li Shan (high mt oolong) and Wen Shan Bauzhong are hands down my favorite teas!
ME TOOOOOoooooo!

My next favorites are TKY and Wuyi.

Jun 30th, '08, 11:42

by cane » Jun 30th, '08, 11:42

I love Wuyi oolongs. The natural chocolatey tones that you can pick up from these are amazing. I love sitting down after a great meal and sipping on a hot cup of Wuyi oolong. I usually find it helps feel better if I have eaten too much as well!

Jul 1st, '08, 08:38

by TimeforTea » Jul 1st, '08, 08:38

Victoria wrote:Yeah the jasmines in the Adagio samplers are not a good idea if you ask me.
Just quickly skimming the posts here, and was curious, V, why you don't think the jasmines in the adagio samplers aren't a good idea? :?

How do you tell the difference between a jasmine tea that uses real jasmine, vs. one which has the jasmine sprayed on?

Jul 1st, '08, 09:56

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '08, 09:56

TimeforTea wrote:
Victoria wrote:Yeah the jasmines in the Adagio samplers are not a good idea if you ask me.
Just quickly skimming the posts here, and was curious, V, why you don't think the jasmines in the adagio samplers aren't a good idea? :?
Just my opinion, if someone is just learning oolongs, and they buy a "sampler" they should have the true taste and aroma of an oolong - nothing added.

+ Post Reply