All about Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 5th, '08, 11:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Sep 5th, '08, 11:15

Some razor sharp posting there tony.

Sometimes a little devil appears on my shoulder and makes me brew tea in the wrong pot, just to see what happens. Pretty rock 'n' roll, eh?

Sep 5th, '08, 11:24

by Salsero » Sep 5th, '08, 11:24

Proinsias wrote: Some razor sharp posting there tony.
Yes, indeed. For a minute I thought I'd stumbled into a the Philosophy Forum by accident!

Sep 5th, '08, 11:31

by tony shlongini » Sep 5th, '08, 11:31

Every now and then, I may be caught in a brief moment of sobriety. :roll:

Sep 5th, '08, 11:55

by chrl42 » Sep 5th, '08, 11:55

On teaware section, there is a yixing criteria somethin..with a title. I worked my ass off to write such a long article.

And I agree with Tony, that you need to trust your instinct. Not like tea itself is made by computer programming and even the same Da Hong Pao, the taste will be deeply different by any chances of options. No such perfection exists in tea industry, even Gu Jing Zhou's yixing teapot at Shanghai museum might show a defect in shape. Or is the tea you are drinking made from year's first crop at guard-watching area by first-rated master's hand?

For amount of leaves, I recommend LARGE amount as possible. Reason is even those cheapskate-Chinese would fill the whole gaiwan while sampling. Very quick brewing and over and over. Reason is yes, to hallucinate the customers..

Sep 5th, '08, 12:04

by Salsero » Sep 5th, '08, 12:04

chrl42 wrote: On teaware section, there is a yixing criteria somethin..with a title. I worked my ass off to write such a long article
I think CHRL42 is referring to his article at http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#59561

Sep 5th, '08, 15:12

by Bubba_tea » Sep 5th, '08, 15:12

tony shlongini wrote:I know little about brewing tea, and nothing of archery, but I do know a bit about sharpening knives. The goal is similar- perfection that is unattainable, only asymptotically approachable. By dint of constant practice, the goal eventually comes within view, whether it's drawing a bow, cooking a steak, or brewing a cup.
Brilliant. You mean perfecting your spirit. I love the old Lone Wolf & Cub movies where the best blacksmiths wouldn't even sharpen your sword if your spirit wasn't up to snuff. I'm in an annoying profession where many people try to just skip the menial basics to 'intuit' everything. Those masters who just 'do' do so after many many many repetitions of 'boring' basics. Oh.. don't get me started... uh.. guess I did a little, sorry! /offsoapbox

BTW - is that your daughter in your avatar? Uhh... is she single??? :lol:

Sep 5th, '08, 16:06

by tony shlongini » Sep 5th, '08, 16:06

Bubba_tea wrote:I love the old Lone Wolf & Cub movies where the best blacksmiths wouldn't even sharpen your sword if your spirit wasn't up to snuff.
On another site, I've recommended varying levels of Japanese cutlery to members, many of whom have purchased, and subsequently become hooked on, chef's knives. Almost to a man, they comment something along the lines of "it was the sharpest out of the box knife I ever bought". The punch line is that, particularly with more expensive knives, it's assumed that the buyer will finish the edge to his own requirements, and that it's considered something of an insult for the factory to presume to do it for you.
An edge is an elusive and evolving thing- bringing two planes together to a single "point", that which Euclid described as "that which hath no part".
Fortunately, living in the NYC area, we have access to a very fine knife shop with one of the most accomplished sharpening masters in the country, and I've had the pleasure of receiving lessons from him.
Bubba_tea wrote:BTW - is that your daughter in your avatar? Uhh... is she single??? :lol:
That picture is a few years old now, but that would be the lovely Mrs. Shlongini. :roll:

Sep 5th, '08, 16:10

by silverneedles » Sep 5th, '08, 16:10

HI TONY
where can i get 1-2 sharp knives in NYC ?????? ... ?

Sep 5th, '08, 16:14

by tony shlongini » Sep 5th, '08, 16:14

silverneedles wrote:HI TONY
where can i get 1-2 sharp knives in NYC ?????? ... ?
http://www.korin.com/

One of the two best places I know. for those out of the NY vicinity, try-

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/

Sep 5th, '08, 16:23

by Bubba_tea » Sep 5th, '08, 16:23

tony shlongini wrote:The punch line is that, particularly with more expensive knives, it's assumed that the buyer will finish the edge to his own requirements, and that it's considered something of an insult for the factory to presume to do it for you.
An edge is an elusive and evolving thing- bringing two planes together to a single "point", that which Euclid described as "that which hath no part".
Sorry for going off topic... And then there's the story about one of the famous characters from Chinese history who was the most famous butcher. The emperor had a competition for butchering a cow and had all the famous butchers come from all around. They all came and did a great job, and then it was Mr. Butcher's turn. He sat and looked at the cow for a long time and everyone wondered what he was doing. He took out his knife, made a couple of small cuts and the cow fell apart into perfectly separated steaks and roasts. (paraphrasing from memory here... maybe someone knows the story). Anyways - they said even after 20 years his knifes were razor sharp without ever being sharpened (he never hit a bone). [/storytime]

Fortunately, living in the NYC area, we have access to a very fine knife shop with one of the most accomplished sharpening masters in the country, and I've had the pleasure of receiving lessons from him.
Bubba_tea wrote:BTW - is that your daughter in your avatar? Uhh... is she single??? :lol:
tony shlongini wrote:That picture is a few years old now, but that would be the lovely Mrs. Shlongini. :roll:
Bravo!! :mrgreen:

--

PS - that isn't the lovely Mrs. Bubba_tea in my avatar in case you were wondering...

Sep 5th, '08, 19:31

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 5th, '08, 19:31

Salsero wrote:
chrl42 wrote: On teaware section, there is a yixing criteria somethin..with a title. I worked my ass off to write such a long article
I think CHRL42 is referring to his article at http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#59561
Wow that is very good information to know. Thanks chrl42, I will most deff take it into consideration when buying any yixing.

Kind of off-topic/pointless question, but I'm wondering about yellow yixing pots (yes, its my favorite color :lol: ) How do you actually get a yellow one, is something added to the clay or are certain clays within that color scheme?
chrl42 wrote:For amount of leaves, I recommend LARGE amount as possible. Reason is even those cheapskate-Chinese would fill the whole gaiwan while sampling. Very quick brewing and over and over. Reason is yes, to hallucinate the customers..
They fill the entire gaiwan with leaf? fill as in before any water? lol :shock:

Sep 5th, '08, 20:53

by wyardley » Sep 5th, '08, 20:53

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:Kind of off-topic/pointless question, but I'm wondering about yellow yixing pots (yes, its my favorite color :lol: ) How do you actually get a yellow one, is something added to the clay or are certain clays within that color scheme?
Well duan ni pots are naturally kind of yellow or orange. But I think most of the ones that actually like like a pure yellow, rather than a kind of sandy color, probably have pigments added. To me, the ones that are actually pure bright yellow looking are kind of ugly.

Here are some fairly typical ones:
chrl42 wrote:For amount of leaves, I recommend LARGE amount as possible. Reason is even those cheapskate-Chinese would fill the whole gaiwan while sampling. Very quick brewing and over and over. Reason is yes, to hallucinate the customers..
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:They fill the entire gaiwan with leaf? fill as in before any water? lol :shock:
Sure, especially with wiry-type oolongs, because even though the leaves will expand, there's a lot of space between the dry leaf. Some teas will work much better this way. Usually you wouldn't use more than 1/4 full by volume for rolled type oolongs, though I've seen people do up to 1/2 or 3/4 full on occasion (this will literally lift the lid off the pot, but it does squeeze all the juices out of the leaves too).

Sep 5th, '08, 22:04

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 5th, '08, 22:04

That second one is exactly the kind im looking for :)

Sep 5th, '08, 22:30

by chrl42 » Sep 5th, '08, 22:30

wyardley wrote:Well duan ni pots are naturally kind of yellow or orange. But I think most of the ones that actually like like a pure yellow, rather than a kind of sandy color, probably have pigments added. To me, the ones that are actually pure bright yellow looking are kind of ugly.
Yup, Duan ni usually show a yellowish hint to it. As it is originally mixed clays of Luni and Zini from mid part of an ore.

But Duan ni itselt has too many kinds. There is Tian Ceng Duan ni, original Huang Long Duan ni, Kui Huang Duan ni(orange-ish), Zi Ma Duan ni(shows numberous dark dots) or Hu Fu Duan ni(modern Duan ni)..etc. Plus temeperature of heating, proportion of Zi ni/Lu ni, period of storing will define the color of clay from A to Z.

Duan ni that exihibits strong yellowish I suspect is by containing oxide bronze or iron yellow powder to cheap Zhejiang clays(not yixing clay).. :shock:

Sep 5th, '08, 22:34

by silverneedles » Sep 5th, '08, 22:34

Chrl42, dear, i have a spare room,
if you bring some good tea and teach me about stuff
mi casa su casa*

*some restrictions apply. offer valid only for the next 10 seconds. not redeemable for cash.

+ Post Reply