All about Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 6th, '08, 17:46

by chrl42 » Sep 6th, '08, 17:46

silverneedles wrote:Chrl42, dear, i have a spare room,
if you bring some good tea and teach me about stuff
mi casa su casa*

*some restrictions apply. offer valid only for the next 10 seconds. not redeemable for cash.
Ha, that'd be nice. But I hope the ticket should be a round-trip one, urgeing you to visit Beijing's Maliandao where you can find over 10 different silver needle!

Sep 10th, '08, 14:10

by Maitre_Tea » Sep 10th, '08, 14:10

taitea wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. Can I dedicate one yixing to all dark oolongs? I'm guessing "no". Wuyis just seem so much stronger and different from say, an oriental beauty. On the other hand, I think it might be ok to dedicate one yixing to wuyis in general.
To add onto this I believe that it's better to have a yixing teapot dedicated to a general category of teas, i.e. one for wuyis, one for High Mountain oolongs, etc.
I read on someone's blog that it's a choice between having a few really well-seasoned teapots or dozens upon dozens of poorly-seasoned teapots...
so for me, until I have enough money to buy that large amounts of teapots...I'll stick to having core teapots dedicated to categories, rather than specific teas

Sep 10th, '08, 14:34

by PolyhymnianMuse » Sep 10th, '08, 14:34

Maitre_Tea wrote:
taitea wrote:I'm wondering the same thing. Can I dedicate one yixing to all dark oolongs? I'm guessing "no". Wuyis just seem so much stronger and different from say, an oriental beauty. On the other hand, I think it might be ok to dedicate one yixing to wuyis in general.
To add onto this I believe that it's better to have a yixing teapot dedicated to a general category of teas, i.e. one for wuyis, one for High Mountain oolongs, etc.
I read on someone's blog that it's a choice between having a few really well-seasoned teapots or dozens upon dozens of poorly-seasoned teapots...
so for me, until I have enough money to buy that large amounts of teapots...I'll stick to having core teapots dedicated to categories, rather than specific teas
Thats a good suggestion. What about roasted versus green oolongs? Would you want one dedicated specifically to green oolongs and than another one for say lighter and medium roasts?

Sep 10th, '08, 14:41

by Maitre_Tea » Sep 10th, '08, 14:41

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Maitre_Tea wrote:
Thats a good suggestion. What about roasted versus green oolongs? Would you want one dedicated specifically to green oolongs and than another one for say lighter and medium roasts?
Yes, that's what I would suggest, and I'm no expert on how to put what teas in what categories. I mean, within Taiwanese oolongs there are certainly many differences. And what about aged teas? The categories go on and on, but i think you need to work on a level that you're comfortable with, and don't do anything crazy like brewing TGY in the same yixing as say, a Wuyi

+ Post Reply