Storing my Dan Congs more attractively - IF ONLY

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 28th, '08, 14:00
Scrolling: scrolling

Storing my Dan Congs more attractively - IF ONLY

by Herb_Master » Dec 28th, '08, 14:00

I have been keen to find more attractive ways of storing my Oolongs. Have any of you got any novel really attractive solutions?

I have purchased many, many Oolongs and a good many of them come in Ziplock bags. Some of them however do not, So I have been steadily acquiring a collection of canisters, some of which are very small and some of which are medium, none of them will easily, if at all, accomodate tea retained in a ziplock packet. I have therefore, either been keeping them just as is in the ziplock, or further entrusting the ziplock to a large Kicthen type canister with a clamp down lid. Some of these kitchen canisters are not hugely attractive so would best suit a display type environment.

I was browsing a site referenced by a post looking for double walled cups and came across this magnificent medicine chest. Just as I am expanding my Dan Cong collection to over 10.

http://www.korean-arts.com/furniture/ei ... _chest.htm

Eighteen drawer medicine chest in wood and brass with names of the medicines and herbs on each drawer. The bottom of the cabinet has two doors and a drawer. Styled after those used used by physicians of the 1700-1800s
Presumably a 100gm or even maybe 200gm ziplock would fit in a drawer, Canisters could display on top, and unopened packets in the cupboard, or in the drawers. It looks superb, and a snip at only $178 :D - But you need to buy
* Due to its size this item is shipped in a small shipping container which takes 3-4 weeks and must be picked up from your local shipping delivery center, or delivered to your door for an additional charge.
a shipping container which costs and additional $390 :(

but hang on the container
Up to 4 pieces of furniture will fit into 1 shipping container. Please add the shipping container option 1 time for each 4 pieces of furniture ordered. Contact us for more details.
can hold 4 Medicine chests
1 for Dan Cong
1 for Min Nan
1 for Min Bei
1 for Taiwan
:D

IF ONLY I had room for 4 Chests
IF ONLY I had money for 4 Chests
IF ONLY

Dec 28th, '08, 14:21

by Victoria » Dec 28th, '08, 14:21

I hear ya. I wish I had room for a beautiful
cabinet devoted only to tea.
<sigh>

Dec 28th, '08, 14:25

by ABx » Dec 28th, '08, 14:25

Hehe, the cheaper option would probably be to get an oriental or Asian inspired shelf/cabinet, and some nice ceramic canisters for the tea. You could then display the canisters on the shelf/cabinet. There are some nice ones on Amazon or you could check some local stores (you might be able to find something nice at a second hand store). There are also some nice linen cabinets with a Chinese flair that aren't too expensive and would save space.

This is what I eventually plan to do, although the display will be more focused on teaware with the tea itself in tins and probably hiding in a cabinet, with the exception of a few particularly nice canisters. I recently picked up THIS CANISTER, for example :) (Though it's yet to arrive due to the [30 second beep] snow.) I've got enough tea stuff that I'm getting to the point that I need something dedicated to tea. I like the idea of a linen cabinet, both for looks and space. I just don't know if it would hold everything.

Dec 28th, '08, 14:40

by Victoria » Dec 28th, '08, 14:40

HA! I have been looking at that one too, but on Home Decorators site.

They have $30 off today.

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Wuchow_ ... binet/210/

A drawer for green, white and black and the bottom for oolongs. And all my decorative canisters on the shelves.
I seriously want.
I just need room.

Dec 28th, '08, 14:55
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 28th, '08, 14:55

For canisters, a friend told me most people in Chao Zhou use this kind:

Stainless steel, not even double lidded, but very much air tight, works perfectly and very inexpensive. I *almost* want to write to speciatybottle and ask them to carry some of these. :D

Dec 28th, '08, 14:59

by Victoria » Dec 28th, '08, 14:59

Bird Pick has something similar:

http://www.birdpick.com/storage.html

Dec 28th, '08, 15:34

by ABx » Dec 28th, '08, 15:34

Victoria wrote:HA! I have been looking at that one too, but on Home Decorators site.
Hehe, I love the style, but I would want a couple more shelves rather than drawers.

Right now I have two 48" mounted shelves full of teaware, although it's not well organized and I only really want to show off about half that, and would want one shelf for 3-5 decorative canisters. I also have a full cupboard (probably 36"x18" shelves x3) full of tea, although one of those is for puerh and I will probably separate that out. I'm also getting smaller tins to consolidate space. The only reason I would want drawers is for cups, accessories, and samples - so maybe 3 drawers max, depending on size. Cupboards instead of drawers would be ideal.

I'm too picky - I'm going to have a hell of a time when I move :) I might just have to have someone make what I want.
Last edited by ABx on Dec 28th, '08, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 28th, '08, 15:44

by ABx » Dec 28th, '08, 15:44

gingko wrote:For canisters, a friend told me most people in Chao Zhou use this kind:

Stainless steel, not even double lidded, but very much air tight, works perfectly and very inexpensive. I *almost* want to write to speciatybottle and ask them to carry some of these. :D
Yeah, you see these around. Personally I think that most of the ones you see look a bit cheap - obviously pressed tin - although that particular one looks nice enough. There are some that are quite nice, though. I tend to prefer the casted metal (often pewter, but I have a copper one) or ceramic canisters, but that's just me :) Some of the glass ones (like the one I linked) are gorgeous, but even more expensive than the casted metal ones (I paid $100 for mine).

For the bulk of my teas I just use plain black tins that don't look too cheap, and then print out nice labels for them (I spend some time in Photoshop and Word to make nice graphics/logos and use decorative fonts). So even though they're not as nice as the decorative canisters, at least they look clean and organized, and they are much more space efficient.

If you've got a local Chinese tea store then you might also ask if they have any empty cardboard cartons/canisters. My local shop has some really nice ones for puerh and yancha. I suppose if someone was so inclined, they could also decorate some jars/cansiters to keep bags in. However you do it, it does pay to get creative :)

Dec 28th, '08, 16:39

by Herb_Master » Dec 28th, '08, 16:39

gingko wrote:For canisters, a friend told me most people in Chao Zhou use this kind:

But would not most people in Chaou Zhou stick to one or two regular teas?
It is a different ball game when you have 30+ teas to look after, and identify.

I have 1 very similar to this, test purchase intending to get more thinking I wanted larger canisters that could hold the whole packet. I thought my ceramic canisters were ideal for smaller rolled Oolongs from Anxi and Taiwan, but found they could not accomodate a 40z packet of large leaved Dan Congs or some wuyis.

Now it has arrived I have realigned my Strategy, I don't really want twenty like this.

Dec 28th, '08, 17:32
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Dec 28th, '08, 17:32

Victoria wrote:Bird Pick has something similar:

http://www.birdpick.com/storage.html
Oh I guess it's exactly the same. Their description says it has 2 covers, but I think most of them have only single cover, but with a bulk under the cover, so when pushed in the bulk can push some air out of the can.

The stainless steel ones, they are supposed to be cheap. I was just thinking if I could find a cheap source, I would get a few dozens and store most of my tea in them (and with them labeled) :D

ABx, your new canister is very beautiful! :D

The pewter canisters, I wish to get some too. I heard good ones last forever. But a friend told me not to get those with seam at the bottom since the glue for the pewter seam has slight odor and may be absorbed by the tea (however I am not sure how true it is and I have no experience dealing with pewter cans).

I do have a bunch of carton tea cans (since I never throw away any container :P ). I put some tea in the plastic with metal looking kind of bags and then put them in some carton cans, to get them further shaded. We don't have local Chinese tea store. And the local Chinese restaurant I know of, I guess they get their cheap tea not in cans, but in buckets :P
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Dec 28th, '08, 17:49

by Victoria » Dec 28th, '08, 17:49

gingko wrote: The stainless steel ones, they are supposed to be cheap. I was just thinking if I could find a cheap source, I would get a few dozens and store most of my tea in them (and with them labeled) :D
Yeah, me too. I am trying to find basic double lidded at a good price.
I would love to have at least 25. Oy.

Dec 28th, '08, 18:19

by Herb_Master » Dec 28th, '08, 18:19

Victoria wrote:
gingko wrote: The stainless steel ones, they are supposed to be cheap. I was just thinking if I could find a cheap source, I would get a few dozens and store most of my tea in them (and with them labeled) :D
Yeah, me too. I am trying to find basic double lidded at a good price.
I would love to have at least 25. Oy.
Mine has 2 lids

both lids off

both lids on

one on one off
Best wishes from Cheshire

Dec 28th, '08, 18:27

by Victoria » Dec 28th, '08, 18:27

But at a good price? Where is it from?

Dec 28th, '08, 18:44

by ABx » Dec 28th, '08, 18:44

gingko wrote:ABx, your new canister is very beautiful! :D

The pewter canisters, I wish to get some too. I heard good ones last forever. But a friend told me not to get those with seam at the bottom since the glue for the pewter seam has slight odor and may be absorbed by the tea (however I am not sure how true it is and I have no experience dealing with pewter cans).

I do have a bunch of carton tea cans (since I never throw away any container :P ). I put some tea in the plastic with metal looking kind of bags and then put them in some carton cans, to get them further shaded. We don't have local Chinese tea store. And the local Chinese restaurant I know of, I guess they get their cheap tea not in cans, but in buckets :P
Thanks :) I love it - I just can't wait to actually get it (it's been nearly 2 weeks, and should have only been 2 days) :P

I don't know about the pewter ones either. I actually see steel ones more than anything these days. My local shop has some nice ones (probably steel, but the pewter style) but they're like $45 ea. I know I paid more than double that for my glass one, but that's a bit of an exception.

eBay has a lot of nice canisters of all types; some are very reasonably priced, some are expensive (like mine). Here's one by the same seller that I got mine from. He has a few others that are nice, though not as nice as mine :D
(If I had a tea shop I would definitely have one of these on the top shelf, even if empty.)

Personally I would rather have a few expensive canisters like this sitting on a nice decorative cabinet with some yixing on stands, rather than one big shelf full of canisters. Make it more of a 'tea shrine' rather than a tea shop's inventory.

I've also got this one on order (the embossed one); hopefully it will be here this week

That's too bad that you don't have anywhere local to get the carton ones. My local shop has some beautiful ones.

Dec 28th, '08, 19:47

by Herb_Master » Dec 28th, '08, 19:47

Victoria wrote:But at a good price? Where is it from?
I got it from

Nothing But Tea - a UK Site

£10

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Accesories.html

along with

100gm Burgundy Tin

and

200gm Blue Tin

+ Post Reply