Anyone tried Hojo Oolongs ?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 24th, '09, 14:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Anyone tried Hojo Oolongs ?

by Herb_Master » Feb 24th, '09, 14:49

I had always assumed that Hojo was out of Japan, now, by clicking on the (show page in) English button, I discover that it is based (or at least has 2 further bases) in Malaysia and has an outlet in the Mid Valley Mall Garden not far from where I will be staying.

Not far but a pain to get to by public transport. The Chinatown, Bukit Bintang and Kelana Jaya outlets are so easy for me to visit, I am wondering if it is worth going to Hojo.

Has anyone got any view on Hojo generally, Hojo oolong particularly, and Hojo's Greenfly aided Muscatel Flavoured Oriental Beauty specifically?

Feb 25th, '09, 03:17

What's Hojo OOlong?

by jazzi » Feb 25th, '09, 03:17

Do you mean Hojo Oolong come from Malaysia? Do you have any links about it?

I've nerver heard Japan or Malaysia can plant Oolong tea.

Feb 25th, '09, 07:13
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: What's Hojo OOlong?

by Herb_Master » Feb 25th, '09, 07:13

jazzi wrote:Do you mean Hojo Oolong come from Malaysia? Do you have any links about it?

I've nerver heard Japan or Malaysia can plant Oolong tea.
Anywhere that has Tea plants CAN make Oolong if they want to (it's all down to the tea processes that are used). However Hojo in Malaysia simply brings tea from Japan, China, India etc for selling to Malaysians (or overseas)

This page gives an address in Penang
http://hojotea.com/indexe.html

This page gives an address in Kuala Lumpur
http://hojotea.com/newsletter/NL_malaysia_3.html

Malaysia has extensive Tea Plantations in the Cameron Highlands where they almost exclusively as far as I am aware concentrate on Black Tea in the English Breakfast tea style. The locals (old men) like their tea (black) thick and strong - "kampong teh". Others prefer it with milk and/or sugar.

The national drink of Malaysia is Teh Tarik, the black tea is made doubly strong and added to a hefty allocation of condensed milk and poured rapidly between 2 containers at great height, back and forth until it is frothy.

The youngsters are moving away from Tea - a profusion of Starbucks, Dome and other chains sweeping the malls, hotels and big cities.

However 23% of the population is Chinese and in every Chinatown you can find restaurants, and tea shops selling Pu-Erh, Oolong and Green imported from China.

+ Post Reply