First oolongs

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 18th, '09, 00:56

First oolongs

by thirtysixbelow » Apr 18th, '09, 00:56

I just got my first oolong teas ever from adagio. I purchased the oolong #40, wuyi, ali shan, and tky. I am a green tea drinker but decided to branch out to some new teas. The first one I had was the tky. It was definitely different from what i'm used to. It was very earthy and floral. I decided to try another tonight so I'm drinking the ali shan. This is much more what I was expecting. It still has that distinctive earthy taste the other did but this one also has a sweet fruity flavor to it and is very smooth. Something odd about tea for me is that I can drink a tea a few times and not like it but then it will just hit me and i'll enjoy it. I say this because i'm not exactly in love with either of these teas, though if I see myself liking one after a few more times it's definitely the ali shan over the tky.

Apr 18th, '09, 02:41

Re: First oolongs

by bi lew chun » Apr 18th, '09, 02:41

thirtysixbelow wrote:Something odd about tea for me is that I can drink a tea a few times and not like it but then it will just hit me and i'll enjoy it.
Many of the best things in life are acquired tastes. If we never ventured beyond what we liked at first taste, we'd all be drinking breast milk, eating candy, and listening to Milli Vanilli.

Apr 18th, '09, 15:10

by thirtysixbelow » Apr 18th, '09, 15:10

bi lew chun wrote: Many of the best things in life are acquired tastes. If we never ventured beyond what we liked at first taste, we'd all be drinking breast milk, eating candy, and listening to Milli Vanilli.
I agree. It just seems to be very black and white with tea. I will try a new tea and it tastes funky but then literally overnight something will happen and I enjoy it the next day.

I tried the oolong #40 and wuyi today. The #40 was geat. It kind of reminded me of a light earl grey, but obviously with a different character. The wuyi is definitely interesting. It seems very roasted and nutty. What a huge difference between the ali shan and wuyi, while both are considered oolong teas. :shock:

Apr 18th, '09, 15:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by hooksie » Apr 18th, '09, 15:31

thirtysixbelow wrote:
bi lew chun wrote: Many of the best things in life are acquired tastes. If we never ventured beyond what we liked at first taste, we'd all be drinking breast milk, eating candy, and listening to Milli Vanilli.
I agree. It just seems to be very black and white with tea. I will try a new tea and it tastes funky but then literally overnight something will happen and I enjoy it the next day.

I tried the oolong #40 and wuyi today. The #40 was geat. It kind of reminded me of a light earl grey, but obviously with a different character. The wuyi is definitely interesting. It seems very roasted and nutty. What a huge difference between the ali shan and wuyi, while both are considered oolong teas. :shock:
Unfortunately I was never as successful with my Adagio wuyi.... probably some of my parameters were off, but alas, no more to experiment with.
We were fated to pretend.

+ Post Reply