70s oolong from Nadacha

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 9th, '09, 20:50
Scrolling: scrolling

70s oolong from Nadacha

by Drax » Jun 9th, '09, 20:50

So, wow. This stuff was amazing. I had a sample with my last order and it really surprised me. It had a roasted flavor, yet also seemed to have qualities of an aged pu'erh.

This was the oldest oolong I've had. Is that normal for an aged oolong?

Any recommendations for other experiences with aged oolongs?

Jun 9th, '09, 21:00

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 9th, '09, 21:00

Though I haven't had much experience with aged oolongs, I also got a bit of the earthy pu-erh taste in the scent of the wet leaves of the one that I had, 90s Select Aged Nan Tou from Hou De. I highly recommend that tea. It has a lovely toasty flavor with all sorts of fun nuances to it, and it resteeps incredibly well.

Jun 9th, '09, 21:29

Re: 70s oolong from Nadacha

by wyardley » Jun 9th, '09, 21:29

Drax wrote:So, wow. This stuff was amazing. I had a sample with my last order and it really surprised me. It had a roasted flavor, yet also seemed to have qualities of an aged pu'erh.

This was the oldest oolong I've had. Is that normal for an aged oolong?
It's one kind of normal. Whether the tea is roasted or green to start with, it will usually start to develop some of those pu'er like characteristics if it isn't periodically re-roasted to keep the moisture out. So generally speaking (and this is a gross oversimplification), aged oolongs will tend towards more sweet tasting or more earthy tasting (or, in some cases, sour tasting). This depends on the degree of initial roasting, storage container, storage environment / humidity, degree and frequency of subsequent roasts, if any, the age (of course), and so on. As you try more, you'll see the tendencies that tend to develop over time.

Have a read of the following threads if you haven't already:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=9057
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=64348
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=8713
Any recommendations for other experiences with aged oolongs?
The aged baozhongs from Stephane at Teamasters (the '76 one if he still has it), as well as most of his other aged oolongs are quite good. Also, Red Blossom's aged baozhong is pretty nice, and hasn't been re-roasted much.

I would also recommend trying some 90s or so Taiwanese gaoshan that's been re-roasted very little or not at all. The taste will be considerably younger / fresher than stuff from the 70s / 80s, and the aftertaste should be really long lasting, but without much astringency or other harsh flavors. Stephane may have something along these lines (his '91 "dong ding" was very nice IMO, but I think isn't available anymore).

Shiuwen at Floating Leaves has some aged teas in stock, so you might want to give her a call... she has a '90s Buddha Hand (Fo Shou) that's quite sweet and pleasant to drink.

Jun 13th, '09, 09:50

25-30 years old TGY

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jun 13th, '09, 09:50

This is definitely different.
The camphor or minty taste on the tip of the tongue is the predominant note. The liquor is clear and has beautiful golden appearance. The mouthfeel is nice but nothing special. Most of the astringency of a green tea seems to have mellowed out with age but there is enough there to still be felt on the edges of the tongue. I am searching for other flavor notes but it is difficult to peek behind the predominant camphor note. This seems like a great tea for summer. Now in the fourth infusion and there is a bit of tingle on my lips and tongue tip. Very interesting tea.

Definitely worth trying an aged TGY if you have only had the less than one-year-old stuff in the past.

Cheers,
Steve
Good tea drinking,
Steve

Jun 13th, '09, 18:36
Scrolling: fixed

Camphor?

by Intuit » Jun 13th, '09, 18:36

Hesitating a guess here...

Camphor is an unusual terpenoid (in this case,a bi-cyclo ketone specific to an Asian laurel genus). It's highly unlikely to have developed over longterm aging of tea on its own and may have been acquired through storage in or around camphor wood. Camphor is quite 'aromatic' and as a flavor note, and would indeed mask / override subtle flavor qualities (due to large phenolic complex formation) that slowly develops with many years of storage.

Camphor deters insect invasion and also acts as an antimicrobial (mold control) agent.

Jun 13th, '09, 20:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 13th, '09, 20:39

Appreciate the feedback, everybody. When my backlog of teas to try has cleared a bit, I will explore a bit more into the aged oolong area. I was very pleasantly surprised by this particular one!

Intuit -- as far as I can tell, most aged pu'erhs develop a camphor-like flavoring. I think this often gets referred to as the "Chinese medicine" factor -- maybe people use those to refer to two different things, but this is the impression I get. This is not to imply that it IS camphor, but is reminiscent of the tone and the effects of camphor.

Jun 13th, '09, 22:14

Re: Camphor?

by JAS-eTea Guy » Jun 13th, '09, 22:14

Intuit wrote:Hesitating a guess here...

Camphor is an unusual terpenoid (in this case,a bi-cyclo ketone specific to an Asian laurel genus). It's highly unlikely to have developed over longterm aging of tea on its own and may have been acquired through storage in or around camphor wood. Camphor is quite 'aromatic' and as a flavor note, and would indeed mask / override subtle flavor qualities (due to large phenolic complex formation) that slowly develops with many years of storage.

Camphor deters insect invasion and also acts as an antimicrobial (mold control) agent.
Thanks Intuit.
Lots of information that I did not know.

Steve
Good tea drinking,
Steve

Jun 14th, '09, 00:54

by thanks » Jun 14th, '09, 00:54

I didn't care for this one too much except for it's qi. Go for Houde's 90's Baozhong which is the best aged oolong I've had so far IMHO.

What I found most interesting about this 70's one is that it had white frost on the dry leaves, but the flavor wasn't completely empty or sour. It tasted like it had just been reroasted within the last few years. The smell of the wet leaves even carries a shicang aroma about it.

+ Post Reply