Taiwan Royal Supreme Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 22nd, '09, 19:52
Scrolling: scrolling

Taiwan Royal Supreme Oolong

by Drax » Jun 22nd, '09, 19:52

Okay, so when heatwaves sent along the box, he included some "Taiwan Royal Supreme Oolong" from Wing Hop Fung. He requested that anybody partaking of it post thoughts and reviews online. He also requested that the brewer use gong fu style in a gaiwan.

So here we go...!

Here is the tea in the "horsie gaiwan" I got from Jing Tea (by the way, this is an incredible gaiwan...). The gaiwan is ~140mL and I put ~5g of tea into the gaiwan. The dry leaves look like the usual green oolong: tight pea-sized kernels, dark green, stems visible. Nice green aroma with fruity sweet overtones. Mmmm, can't wait!

Next up, here is a dark picture (grumble) of the leaves soaking in the gaiwan. This is toward the end of the 20s rinse, so the leaves have already opened up a fair amount.

Next, a picture of the first cup of tea (30 second brew time).

The aroma has a solid 'green oolong' aroma, with a grassy and sweet fruitiness to it. The liquor is a light yellow, clear. And the tea has a nice grassy green oolong taste... nothing "off," nice mouthfeel, and a strong, lingering aftertaste. Very nice.

Below, we have a picture of the second cup (also 30 second brewtime), with an example of one of the leaves. Mmmm. This cup was stronger than the first all around and was quite nice.

Next we have an example of why I try not to use a flash too much. Though the leaves look really succulent, I have to say...

Here's a less-blinding version...

Finally, my last cup (the 6th cup), with some more pictures of the leaves...

In all, I enjoyed 6 cups out of this tea, and I probably could have gotten another couple of cups. My infusion times were (20s rinse, then 30s, 30s, 45s, 60s, 120s, 5m).

I enjoyed the tea throughout the sequence.

But here will be where my lack of experience with oolongs will show. I am not sure what qualifies this tea to be so expensive. I suppose I might have experienced a level of vibrancy that I haven't before, but it has been awhile since I've had some other green oolongs.

I would probably have to do a side-by-side comparison with something like Adagio's Ali Shan in order to understand what the difference is...

In fact, I went ahead with a zhangshu lake oolong the next day (which is half as expensive), and enjoyed it as much. So... chalk this one up to newbie-ness, I suppose -- don't get me wrong, it's a great tea, and the quality of the leaves shows post-brew, but... I suppose my palette isn't refined enough yet to tell the difference?

In any case, thanks for the experience! There should be enough left for geeber and maybe even the person after to enjoy it as well.

Jun 22nd, '09, 20:39

by MarshalN » Jun 22nd, '09, 20:39

You really didn't use much leaves

Jun 22nd, '09, 22:02

by TokyoB » Jun 22nd, '09, 22:02

MarshalN wrote:You really didn't use much leaves
MarshalN - how much would you have used? For most Taiwan oolongs I use about 5g or a touch less in my 85ml yixing pot.
TokyoB

Jun 22nd, '09, 22:04

by MarshalN » Jun 22nd, '09, 22:04

I have no idea how much 5g is :)

I fill a gaiwan about 1/4 full of dry leaves if it's a light taiwanese oolong. 1/5 if I'm not brave that day and I don't know the tea.

Jun 22nd, '09, 23:40

by ABx » Jun 22nd, '09, 23:40

I was just thinking the same as Marshall :)

Jun 23rd, '09, 06:41

by Herb_Master » Jun 23rd, '09, 06:41

:D :D

A bit of a problem with a box pass :lol:

You could use it all and be embarassed :oops: that there is none left for the next person to receive the pass

Or eke it out, with longer steeping times and allow the next 2 to enjoy it
Best wishes from Cheshire

Jun 23rd, '09, 07:01

by xuancheng » Jun 23rd, '09, 07:01

I hope you continue with your reviews. Very enjoyable reading, but they do look like a lot of work.
茶也醉人何必酒?

Jun 23rd, '09, 10:59

by MarshalN » Jun 23rd, '09, 10:59

Herb_Master wrote:
:D :D

A bit of a problem with a box pass :lol:

You could use it all and be embarassed :oops: that there is none left for the next person to receive the pass

Or eke it out, with longer steeping times and allow the next 2 to enjoy it
Oh yeah, I know, but like the other thread about skip4tea in the puerh section -- if you don't use much leaves a lot of teas ending up tasting quite similar, even though one's actually better than the other, you can't really tell if the tea is made weak.

+ Post Reply