Tuesday TeaDay 2/1/11 Cold and snowy?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

... off the topic of tea for a day. Much of the country has been very cold and snowy this Winter. What would you prefer, seasonal hot and cold, or warm all year? Share why.

Hotter all year the better
5%
Some moderate change, but still warm all year
44%
Cooler Winters are OK
21%
Prefer a cold Winter with snow
15%
Colder better, lots of snow better yet!
8%
I would take cold all year long if I could
5%
I have no preference
3%

Total votes: 39

Feb 2nd, '11, 01:30

Re: Tuesday TeaDay 2/1/11 Cold and snowy?

by debunix » Feb 2nd, '11, 01:30

I like snow, but I prefer to travel to it for winter fun rather than have it come to me.

Still, could wish for more variation in the weather, more heavy thunderstorms to wash my car and keep streets cleaner, and more green than I get here in LA.

Still, my office is often close to absolute zero, and offers plenty of inspiration to drink deep smoky toasty teas, especially in the summer.

Feb 2nd, '11, 02:46

by Takarabune » Feb 2nd, '11, 02:46

I prefer a cold winter with snow, but only at Christmas time and on days you don't have to drive in it. :wink: With a potential snow storm just around my corner, I'm more than ready for a warmer, greener atmosphere. Bring it on, Spring!

Feb 2nd, '11, 03:00

by matcha/mate.enthusia » Feb 2nd, '11, 03:00

Personally I'd prefer winter to be the brief season, lasting only two to three months or so, with hotter summer/early autumn temperatures for the rest of the year. Here in Colorado, the weather is notoriously fickle and changes extremely quickly between extremes (which renders it annoyingly difficult to forecast, heh), and the opposite is usually the case--we get around 4-6 months of "winter weather" and two to three months of extreme summer heat. Last year was a record for heat, with hot hot summer temperatures well into September, and the year before that, there was a blizzard in early October! Currently we are experiencing record-setting lows well below zero (around -20 at the moment here outside) and today (as well as tomorrow) was a 'snow day', with me staying home not due to precipitation accumulation but for the fear of commuting outside in dangerously frigid conditions.

Being born in the summer, I've always had a preference/positive association with heat. I mean, I love skiing and the holidays and sipping delicious teas by the fireplace after making snow angels in freshly fallen beautiful white powder as much as the next guy, but I wish it would only last a couple of months for the novelty--by around Feb/March I've usually had it with the cold slushiness which renders commuting on public transit less than pleasant and the dreary overcast skies. At least we experience a wide range of seasonal variation here, albeit briefly. . .

Feb 2nd, '11, 09:48

by msurads06 » Feb 2nd, '11, 09:48

Definately prefer warmer year round with some moderate variations. Highs 60-85 sounds about perfect to me, occasionaly cooler is ok, but this weather we have right now sucks. they said on the news today our low tonight will probably be a record. This is the coldest weather we have had in over 10 years, add 6 inches of snow on the ground and i am not leaving my house . I had to walk to work yesterday because I couldnt get my car out the drive way. Luckily its only 3 blocks.

Feb 2nd, '11, 17:52

by entropyembrace » Feb 2nd, '11, 17:52

JRS22 wrote: My black kitten is clearly interested in the puerh rinse water but I'm afraid to give it to her what with the caffeine content and other unknown chemicals.
The biggest concern with cats and tea is the theobromine...they don´t have the liver enzymes to break it down easily. It´s still not very toxic and in small quantities it doesnt seem to do any harm...but I err on the safe side and don´t let my cat drink tea, especially since she´s getting old.