Thur/Fri TeaDay 7/14-15/11 Bastille Day/International TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today is International Day on TeaChat. We have many members from all around the world. Discuss where you are from, country etc., and heritage today on TeaChat. Details please.

I am from Europe
34%
Asia
6%
North America
57%
Africa
No votes
South America
No votes
Australia
No votes
Antarctica Brrr ...
3%

Total votes: 35

Jul 14th, '11, 02:37
Scrolling: scrolling

Thur/Fri TeaDay 7/14-15/11 Bastille Day/International TeaDay

by Chip » Jul 14th, '11, 02:37

Happy Bastille Day
to our French friends!

And welcome to International TeaDay on TeaDay. Please drop in and share your tea with us, share what is in your cup. Also discuss the international topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed "Fix-All" attributes of tea. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Today is International Day on TeaChat. We have many members from all around the world. Discuss where you are from, country etc., and heritage today on TeaChat.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with ... everyone. Bottoms up!

Jul 14th, '11, 05:49

Re: Thursday TeaDay 7/13/11 Bastille Day/International TeaDay

by David R. » Jul 14th, '11, 05:49

Well, being french, today is a national holiday... except that I am working ! :roll:

A lot of fuzz in the streets with the military and such, fireworks this evening, if it's not raining too much...

Jul 14th, '11, 09:52

by tortoise » Jul 14th, '11, 09:52

Happy Bastille Day to our French friends :D

I'm living in Louisiana currently, in the South of the U.S. I actually did some light genealogy recently, so I can tell you I am mostly Scottish, and Irish (like most white southerners), with a couple from Alsace-Lorraine for good measure who immigrated just following the Franco-Prussian war. I want more info on them, but not much to be had. I'm guessing they were from the Lorraine region, though, if they left after the region was annexed by Germans. But that's pure speculation. Thanks for entertaining my family immigration story. Now, I want to show you some slides from our recent family vacation!

Kidding. Had some oldish Rou Gui this morning. GOD I love tea.

Jul 14th, '11, 11:05

by auhckw » Jul 14th, '11, 11:05

Jul 14th, '11, 11:20

by Chip » Jul 14th, '11, 11:20

Hmm ... I wonder which continent will "reign supreme" today by posting here in TeaDay?

TD post 44444 ... :mrgreen:

Jul 14th, '11, 11:38

by artmom » Jul 14th, '11, 11:38

I was born in Scotland, of parents born in Scotland; my grandparents were all born in Lithuania/Poland -- at Mariajampole and Sulvaki.

But I'm happy to be an un-hyphenated American now!!! :D

Finally found an Earl Grey I can stand-- Lavender Earl Grey -- not weak and wishy washy as many Earl Grey teas. 8)

Lyn

Jul 14th, '11, 12:22
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 14th, '11, 12:22

Born in Estonia, but since my family is Russian and i have many relatives in Russia, also spent a lot of time there. But due to some amazing chain of events now i'm living in Japan :)

For a while already starting my day with matcha, this seems to work best for me. And after that a lot of cold mugicha and houjicha.

Yesterday underestimated sun, was out on bycicle for about 2 hours. Got sunburn on my arms, now it looks like i'm wearing long red gloves :lol:

Jul 14th, '11, 12:27

by Chip » Jul 14th, '11, 12:27

Born and raised in SE PA, USA ... of around 75% German descent with a bunch of everything thrown into the other 25%. :D

Began the TD with a tasting of Yame Tokujo from Xell, part of OTTI 10 Shincha 2011. This has roots (pun intended) in Yame prefecture. I am wondering if it has some Yutaka Midori lineage. :mrgreen:
artmom wrote: I was born in Scotland, of parents born in Scotland; my grandparents were all born in Lithuania/Poland -- at Mariajampole and Sulvaki.

I wonder, are there a lot of Scots who settled into the foothills of the Smokeys???

Jul 14th, '11, 12:35

by Chip » Jul 14th, '11, 12:35

Xell wrote:Born in Estonia, but since my family is Russian and i have many relatives in Russia, also spent a lot of time there. But due to some amazing chain of events now i'm living in Japan :)
... please do tell!!! :D

What kind of bicycle, road, off road ... brand? 8)

Speaking of bike riding, today is Bastille Day in France and the first real mountain stage in the Pyrenees Mountains of the Tour de France! You can watch it on Versus if you get it.

Jul 14th, '11, 14:02

by artmom » Jul 14th, '11, 14:02

Chip wrote: . . .
artmom wrote: I was born in Scotland, of parents born in Scotland; my grandparents were all born in Lithuania/Poland -- at Mariajampole and Sulvaki.

I wonder, are there a lot of Scots who settled into the foothills of the Smokeys???
Chip, Many Scots, and many Scots-Irish during the late 1700s, early 1800s. We began a Scottish Highland Games here in Blount County this year. Very appropo. :D

Lyn

Jul 14th, '11, 14:36

by debunix » Jul 14th, '11, 14:36

Ancestors from Germany & Ireland & some unknown, typical US mutt here.

Enjoying some Long Jing today, no sencha with me today.

Jul 14th, '11, 15:37

by Chip » Jul 14th, '11, 15:37

artmom wrote:
Chip wrote: . . .

Chip, Many Scots, and many Scots-Irish during the late 1700s, early 1800s. We began a Scottish Highland Games here in Blount County this year. Very appropo. :D
Seems maybe I saw this on the Travel Channel ... it was down there somewhere. I recall a "pole" toss ... fortunately for you, not a "Pole" toss! :twisted:

TD continues with , hmmm, an unusually abundant number of Sencha open at the moment due to the OTTI. Going with YM, FTW! :mrgreen:

Jul 14th, '11, 16:46

by entropyembrace » Jul 14th, '11, 16:46

I´m from Canada...and my ancestors are a mix of pretty much everything western european. Most of them came to North America in the early colonial era so they had lots of time to mix :lol:

No tea yet today....I just had a delicious cappuccino made with high altutide Chiapas coffee....but there´s definitely some Miyabi coming up later in the day :mrgreen:

Jul 14th, '11, 23:21

by Skippyandjif » Jul 14th, '11, 23:21

I was born in the US, as were both my parents. My father's family is from Russia; on my mom's side, her mother's family was French (they stopped over in Quebec for a generation) and her father's family was Scottish and Scandinavian.

We don't really have any traditions from our ancestors in my family... The closest thing is the French recipes my mom's mother cooked, but they all have either meat or dairy in them so I can't eat them. Oops...

Today, I drank pu-erh when I woke up; a lot of iced green tea in the afternoon; and right now I'm sipping some rose sencha.

Jul 14th, '11, 23:34

by karmaplace » Jul 14th, '11, 23:34

I was born and raised on the NE coast of the US. Parts of both sides of my family have been in the US since the colonial era; one of my ancestors on my mother's side was born and raised in Native Indian captivity. I've had relatives on both sides of the Civil War, and on my father's side I'm supposedly related to president Zachary Taylor.

My family's had a lot of time to mix, but I know we're mostly of Western European descent, and I have an Irish name.

I'm currently living in South Korea and my boyfriend is Vietnamese. :mrgreen:

I've been indulging in a lot of iced tea lately. Today it's a Miyazaki oolong.