Fri/Sat TeaDay 8/5-6/11 Water measurements?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Yesterday we discussed how we determined how much leaf, today we discuss how we determine how much water, sometimes there are some "tricks" we use. Please share your methods.

I measure water, precisely
No votes
The pot size determines the amount of water, no measuring
58%
The cup(s) size(s) determine how much water
21%
I eyeball how much water
17%
Other
4%

Total votes: 24

Aug 6th, '11, 20:39

Re: Fri/Sat TeaDay 8/5-6/11 Water measurements?

by debunix » Aug 6th, '11, 20:39

Today has been a good day for tea, though a sad day for teaware. Today, enjoying some Jin Guan Yin, and while the long infusions are taking place, starting a session with some Lao Ban Zhang 2009 loose sheng, both from Norbu.

Aug 7th, '11, 00:44

Re: Fri/Sat TeaDay 8/5-6/11 Water measurements?

by FlyedPiper » Aug 7th, '11, 00:44

I pretty much use the same amount of leaf and water for all sencha brews (rounded teaspoon for fuka and heaping teaspoon for asamushi). I generally use about 6 oz. of water per steep unless I'm brewing genmaicha or houjicha, then I go 8 oz.

If I have a guest I put the first and second steeps into the cups and reserve the remaining steeps for myself (I rarely brew for more than two people). If I have more guests I brew another pot... repeat as needed. I don't mind drinking the later steeps as they are just for the health benefits and don't contain much caffeine.

For oolong, sheng and gyokuro I brew enough in each steep to fill my 4 oz cup if I'm by myself, or brew into two 2 oz cups if I have a guest.

For a group I usually do multiple steeps of TGY from my 160 ml yixing into a fair pot and into tasting cups until everyone is tired of tea.

Currently drinking kiku mukashi matcha and sae midori. Both extremely good.