Sat/Sun TeaDay 8/27-28/11 Your Storm of the Century?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the eastern seaboard of the USA. It could be a wild ride for millions. Made me wonder, what was your most memorable storm? Please share.

It was a hurricane
33%
tornado
11%
snow blizzard
28%
ice storm
6%
sandstorm or similar
No votes
Other
22%

Total votes: 18

Aug 28th, '11, 10:14

Re: Saturday TeaDay 8/27/11 Your Storm of the Century?

by JBaymore » Aug 28th, '11, 10:14

entropyembrace wrote: ..........I found myself standing directly underneath a funnel cloud... It didn´t have enough energy to be really dangerous but it was still really impressive from the view that I had of it :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Aug 28th, '11, 11:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Running for Tea » Aug 28th, '11, 11:51

The worst storm I remember was a few years back. We had an awful wind storm. Our entire neighborhood lost power for 4 days. School was cancelled and we basically just had to deal with it until the power returned. I remember it getting quite cold at night. Either that or a blizzard when I was in elementary school... so much snow!

Started the day with Kabusecha :)

Aug 28th, '11, 15:07

by Chip » Aug 28th, '11, 15:07

Irene has passed for the most part, but throughout the night, lying in bed, I kept hearing trees being uprooted and crashing to the ground. Around 3 am the power went out ... then I kept dreaming the power came back on only to be disappointed as I would wake from the dream.

It will likely be days til we have power again, my only hope is that since this appears to be a BIG block of homes and businesses, they will restore it soon.

So morning tea had to wait til 1:30 pm and a visit to my mom's ... along with the internet, a meal, there was HOT water! I have a feeling I may be seeing mom a bit more than normal this week. :mrgreen:

TD began with Kagoshima Organic Asamushi from the O-C with the Mrs.

Aug 28th, '11, 17:44

by Running for Tea » Aug 28th, '11, 17:44

Chip wrote:Irene has passed for the most part, but throughout the night, lying in bed, I kept hearing trees being uprooted and crashing to the ground. Around 3 am the power went out ... then I kept dreaming the power came back on only to be disappointed as I would wake from the dream.

It will likely be days til we have power again, my only hope is that since this appears to be a BIG block of homes and businesses, they will restore it soon.

So morning tea had to wait til 1:30 pm and a visit to my mom's ... along with the internet, a meal, there was HOT water! I have a feeling I may be seeing mom a bit more than normal this week. :mrgreen:

TD began with Kagoshima Organic Asamushi from the O-C with the Mrs.
:shock: That sounds terrible (except for the tea)! Stay safe Chip and I hope your power is returned soon. I've been in that situation before. Oh, and I'm sure your mom loves having you over (at least thats how my mom is when I visit :) )

Aug 28th, '11, 19:55

Re: Sat/Sun TeaDay 8/27-28/11 Your Storm of the Century?

by brlarson » Aug 28th, '11, 19:55

It was fun to see folks cross-country skiing down the middle of Boylston Street in Boston during the Blizzard of '78, but my Storm of the Century was Hurricane Bob.

Bob was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it reached New England in 1985, but it was my first serious weather since becoming a homeowner. Before that, hurricanes and tropical storms where events to be enjoyed first-hand, in fact my wife and I brought our daughter out on the porch during Bob to see if we could smell any cocoanuts (tropical storm). Winds were steady between 50-75 mph, but then a gust that persisted for 5 seconds or more that brought the winds speed to about 125mph and it vibrated two 180 foot spruces in my back yard so hard and fast that I could only see a rough blur where the trunks had been and the whirring sound that they made was incredible. Then an old Norway maple of mine that was near my neighbor's house gave a loud crack. The maple withstood the storm and I cut off the weak part of the crown immediately afterwards but I was lucky.

I've been on the road for the last 10 days and I had no tea with me! but I had a delicious, all day session with O-Cha's Aoi.

Aug 28th, '11, 19:56

by Amaikokonut » Aug 28th, '11, 19:56

Wow, I really hope everyone manages to stay safe in all this weather-chaos.

I really haven't been around long enough to experience any really serious storms, but the most memorable one I remember was Hurricane Ivan, back in 2004. I believe I was in my last year of high school and I remember hearing of the storm but sort of dismissing it mentally as something that would never reach us. It wasn't until an announcement was made that school would be canceled the next day due to the storm that it actually occurred to me that the storm might be something to be concerned about!

The power was out... I want to say three or four days, maybe more. The wind and rain was pretty bad but it didn't seem any worse than a typical harsh thunderstorm.... that was, until we looked out into the backyard and realized something was missing. A huge tree had uprooted and fallen over-- quite luckily backwards into the woods and not the other way, or it could have easily taken out half the house. We had to get the demolished fence repaired but that was the extent of the damage. That storm also sticks out in my mind because we had to have our cat put down (for reasons completely unrelated to the storm, he was just very, very old) while the power was still out.

Though the tornadoes that tore through northern Alabama earlier this spring were pretty memorable too. They didn't hit me directly (I didn't even lose power at my house) but the grocery store I worked at lost power for a long enough period of time that we had to throw away all of our meat, dairy, frozen, etc items. Some of my coworkers lost their homes, the destruction was just indescribable where the tornadoes had hit directly. And with all these heavy, gloomy thoughts in mind, I was trying to civilly handle angry customers who were oblivious to the storms' damage, screaming about how unacceptable it was that we didn't have eggs or meat or their favorite ice cream in stock. Nevermind the people a few miles north that didn't have homes. :?

I have not had tea yet today. I must remedy this now.

Aug 29th, '11, 02:35

by Chimpie » Aug 29th, '11, 02:35

Snow for me.... ended up doing a 33 hour shift at work as no one could get in and we couldn't get home, we had about 10,000 passengers that were stranded to look after. I was so tired I was asleep walking by the time the road system opened enough to get home, I slept for 12 hours and did a gallon of tea...the best way to recover!!!

Aug 29th, '11, 02:59

by TeaINfuse » Aug 29th, '11, 02:59

Andover Ks Hosington Ks and Greensburg Ks and a small one on the road from Augusta Ks to El Dorado Ks.. two of them where like the finger of God wanted to erase parts of the great planes.. The other ones.. not going to lie scared me also.. they just pop up.. in less then a hour you can go from sun and baseball to 125mph winds rain hail back to sunshine
these are the worst storms I have lived through

Sep 2nd, '11, 00:02

by strickmr » Sep 2nd, '11, 00:02

Good to see another Kansan here with similar experiences. I was in Greensburg the day after the tornado for volunteer work and it was an experience unlike any other. You don't understand the power of nature until you experience it first hand.