Tues/Wed TeaDay 9/20-21/11 ValuTea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you consider your fave teas to also be good values? Ponder this and then share with us.

Expensive, but still a good value ... let me tell you why ...
5%
Yes, an overall good value ...
42%
I like to think so
26%
Maybe, maybe not
21%
I tend to think not
No votes
No, not a good value ...
5%
Definitely not a good value ...
No votes

Total votes: 19

Sep 20th, '11, 02:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Tues/Wed TeaDay 9/20-21/11 ValuTea?

by Chip » Sep 20th, '11, 02:33

Greetings TeaFriends around the world. We hope you will visit TeaDay, share what is in your cup, discuss the topic of the day.

Yesterday we discussed whether we came to our fave teas by tasting or by the influence of others. Please continue to discuss yesterday's topic.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. Do you consider your fave teas to also be good values? Ponder this and then share with us.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Sep 20th, '11, 11:28

Re: Tuesay TeaDay 9/20/11 ValuTea?

by brlarson » Sep 20th, '11, 11:28

Maybe, maybe not.

I enjoy all of the teas that I drink and their prices are reasonable, but I wouldn't necessarily call them good values.

Some of you may be jealous that I just opened a bag of O-Cha's 2010 YM LE. It is delicious. I had forgetten about its distinctive wheat tastes -- semolina always comes to mind. I like its roundness, its weight on the tongue, its fleshiness, and its clean lingering finish.

I'm also working on a 2010 shuppin sencha from Maiko.
Last edited by brlarson on Sep 20th, '11, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

Sep 20th, '11, 11:53

by AdamMY » Sep 20th, '11, 11:53

I went with, "Maybe/ Maybe Not" simply because I have different categories of favorites. There are "Ultimate favorites" or teas that if I had unlimited money I would l always keep plenty of them on hand when ever possible. Then there are "sensible favorites" these are the ones that tend to be better deals. Such as a few of ippodo's lower level Sencha's they may not be the most complex or intriguing tea's, but at the price they were pretty darn good.

Sep 20th, '11, 23:20

by Chip » Sep 20th, '11, 23:20

I tend to feel Japanese sencha is an outstanding value. 250 ml of great tea for only a buck or so, it is cheaper than bottled water.

However Gyokuro and Matcha totally throw the so called value aspect to the wind.

Began the TD with an outstanding value, free sencha sample with the Mrs. from the Expo. And it was really good too! Next up, another free sencha sample. And then another ... a FreeDay TeaDay so to speak. :mrgreen:

Sep 21st, '11, 02:55

by Chip » Sep 21st, '11, 02:55

That was one very slow TeaDay! Let's give this topic another shot.

Please drop in and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Also discuss yesterday's topic.

And feel free to bring up other topic(s) ... after all this is our TeaRoom.

We are looking forward to sharing this TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up.

Sep 21st, '11, 11:41

by blueye » Sep 21st, '11, 11:41

maybe, maybe not.

I don't really checked on the tea pricing after I bought them. I consume em'. Or store them to drink another day.

There are ppl who advice me to know the value of tea before drinking it, as it maybe a fortune. Maybe its true...

Sep 21st, '11, 15:39

by teaisme » Sep 21st, '11, 15:39

it has been a while since I felt like I overpaid for a tea...come to think of it...I don't think I ever had that feeling...wait...one taiwanese alishan oolong from a popular domestic vendor left me very dissapointed in the value (considering I could have found something in taiwan similar but at least double to triple the tea). I suppose shipping and sourcing could be factored into price, but for me it would still not be a good value since I frequent taiwan.

Last pot of lishan :( :D . A treasured treat, I probably won't find anything comparable to this for a while, it was an honor to meet you!