Wednesday 10/17/12 Number of teaware pieces increased?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Still annual TeaCheckup. Has the number of teaware pieces significantly increased since last year?

YES...I went TeaWare crazy this past year
10%
Yes, most definitely
18%
Yes, I think so, but not by that much
13%
No, I am about where I was last year with only very few aquisitions
5%
No, I am content with my teawares
3%
I am a newbie and I have a teaware problem since starting, YES
5%
I am a newbie with a significant teaware increase since starting
3%
I am a newbie with little or no teaware increase since starting
5%
Other
5%
Bonus, Yes my teaware preferences changed
13%
No, my teaware preferences have not changed
21%

Total votes: 39

Oct 21st, '12, 10:07
Vendor Member

Re: Wednesday 10/17/12 Number of teaware pieces increased?

by gingkoseto » Oct 21st, '12, 10:07

There isn't a choice "my tea ware was downsized" :?:
Now I feel so lonely :cry:
I've just moved from a rural town to large city, and gave up a quite a few pieces of tea ware during the moving, and most of the rest are currently either in another city or still in my moving boxes, as my room is not big enough to have everything unpacked. Now I'm going to (re)learn how people live in a large city :mrgreen:

Oct 21st, '12, 12:09

by AdamMY » Oct 21st, '12, 12:09

debunix wrote:
AdamMY wrote:While still mostly Japanese based teaware, I have started to drift from the imperfect forms of Hagi, etc, and drifted more into the perfect forms as illustrated by those photos.
Do you think your time in the ceramics studio is behind that change in preferences?

Interesting question, and sadly I have no real answer. Some of the time I spent in the studio I tried to do pinchwork pieces, and other pieces that do not have perfect forms. They never seemed anywhere as nice as the hagi pieces I had. I also think hagi ware depends almost as much on the glaze used as the form. Where as when you have a near perfect form it could be glazed in a uniform solid glaze, and you emphasize the perfect form. While Hagi almost needs that crawling glaze to get the full fledge effect.

I will say though I do think I started to drift ever so slowly before I started taking ceramics classes.

Oct 21st, '12, 15:17

Wednesday 10/17/12 Number of teaware pieces increased?

by debunix » Oct 21st, '12, 15:17

I think I'm drawn to pieces that are not uniformly smooth in texture, shape and glaze. There usually needs to be some variation--drips, translucencies, varigation and blending of colors, variable shape or clay with variable textures, for a piece to really grab me. It's probably my parents' influence, because the ceramic pieces and other crafts works that they would usually buy would have similar properties. It's not that our tastes are quite the same, but I've always been able to understand what drew them to a particular piece, and vice versa (well, except for the horrible living room lamp that none of us kids were bold enough to break "accidentally"....).

Oct 21st, '12, 16:21

by AdamMY » Oct 21st, '12, 16:21

Heres a piece, that I had to have gotten in the last year, as it has replaced my Celadon teabowl as my favorite piece for grandpa style brewing. As shown below, its an all korean grandpa style. Seong-il Teabowl, with Jukro's Uricha, which is a Balhyocha style tea.

Jukro Uricha In Seong Il Teabowl by Adam Yusko, on Flickr