2/7/14 TC Signature TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaChatter post Signature? What say you, yay or nay?

Yay
27%
Nay
63%
Other
10%

Total votes: 30

Feb 12th, '14, 15:18
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2/7/14 TC Signature TeaDay

by Running for Tea » Feb 12th, '14, 15:18

Chip wrote:
Drax wrote:I voted 'other,' with the idea the display of signatures could be a forum setting/option (so I could go to my control panel and select whether or not the signatures from other people were displayed). That way, people could have their signatures, but if I chose, I would not have to view them.

Other than other, I would lean to 'nay.'
<waves magic mod WANd>

Go to User Control Panel>Board Preferences>Edit Display Options>turn off signature display for your account ... >submit!
The Tea-Mod-Magic worked! Changing my vote to other. I'll leave this decision up to everyone else.

Edit: To clarify, I'm voting 'other' because I'm not in favor of signatures, but with them removed from my view, I'm not going to vote against something that wouldn't impact me.
Last edited by Running for Tea on Feb 12th, '14, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 12th, '14, 15:21

by Chip » Feb 12th, '14, 15:21

Thank you everyone for your postings, please continue!!! I am all ears and will endeavor to reply to comments.

My posts here may be a bit wordy on these matters, but I am also attempting to inform members of particulars that I might not otherwise have an opportunity to share. :mrgreen:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 12th, '14, 15:25

by Chip » Feb 12th, '14, 15:25

Drax wrote:Oh just imagine all the things that I could start shoving into the signature that you find on other forums:

Currently drinking -- lists of teas.
Currently drinking FROM -- lists of teaware.
Currently seeking -- lists of items looking to buy.

Oh, the mind titillates! :lol:
True, and if I had my way, there would be even better ways to accomplish these feats.

Maybe one day soon! :mrgreen:

Feb 12th, '14, 16:36

by William » Feb 12th, '14, 16:36

Chip wrote:Thank you everyone for your postings, please continue!!! I am all ears and will endeavor to reply to comments.

My posts here may be a bit wordy on these matters, but I am also attempting to inform members of particulars that I might not otherwise have an opportunity to share. :mrgreen:
We all teachat's members appreciate your work, Chip! :wink:

Feb 12th, '14, 18:56

by Drax » Feb 12th, '14, 18:56

Chip wrote:
Drax wrote:I voted 'other,' with the idea the display of signatures could be a forum setting/option (so I could go to my control panel and select whether or not the signatures from other people were displayed). That way, people could have their signatures, but if I chose, I would not have to view them.

Other than other, I would lean to 'nay.'
<waves magic mod WANd>

Go to User Control Panel>Board Preferences>Edit Display Options>turn off signature display for your account ... >submit!
Incredible... bravo, and thank you!

I'm leaving the signatures displayed for now to get a sense of what people want to do with it, but having the option to turn them off will prove very useful.

It was a blessing to be able to turn off emoticons during that period when one member was posting 10 " :lol: "s per post. Well, I say "blessing," but... these are first world problems, as they say. :D
天下がもっと広ければお互いぶつかり合うことはなかったろうに

Feb 12th, '14, 20:15

by Chip » Feb 12th, '14, 20:15

... it is actually pretty amazing all the things you can do within your user control panel/profile ... preferences. You can even turn me off. :mrgreen:

I generally have to keep "all on" so I can see abuses or problems.

Feb 12th, '14, 20:43

by sherubtse » Feb 12th, '14, 20:43

I am a bit surpised that many people assume the worse re sigs. They can be put to good use too. For example, they allow a bit more personalisation of one's posts and online persona. They can also be adages, etc. that some (many?) may find useful or interesting. Perhaps we could hold off on our judgements until we have had some time to see whether they work in practice.
Best wishes,
sherubtse

Feb 12th, '14, 22:20

by Chip » Feb 12th, '14, 22:20

sherubtse wrote:I am a bit surpised that many people assume the worse re sigs. They can be put to good use too. For example, they allow a bit more personalisation of one's posts and online persona. They can also be adages, etc. that some (many?) may find useful or interesting. Perhaps we could hold off on our judgements until we have had some time to see whether they work in practice.
Proof that there are often two very good sides to a discussion. Your points are quite valid, and I cannot offer any dispute other than a lot of good things in the world are put to ruin by a small minority of abusers.

I am keeping an open mind, though I do have obvious opinions ... reservations about opening this up beyond the trial period. As I often do, I will allow majority to rule on this.

(I was surprised by member response so far this time. And the last time I posed a question for members to determine how to proceed in the future ... "Unendorsed Spam Input Wanted.")

Feb 12th, '14, 22:36

by Devoted135 » Feb 12th, '14, 22:36

Chip wrote: It is pleasant to have a place to go and read without being hammered by advertising. Even here, there is the Adagio advertising ... but this is more easily overlooked especially if you have your "scrolling" setting on scrolling versus "dynamic" or "fixed" ... if you have not already done so, you should set to "scrolling" imho.
Oh wow, this is awesome. On a 13" screen, I love not having that header cut off the top third of my viewing space!
[size=75]"I wish I was at home in my nice hole by the fire, with the kettle just beginning to sing!" [i]~Bilbo Baggins[/i][/size]

Feb 12th, '14, 22:49

by Chip » Feb 12th, '14, 22:49

Devoted135 wrote:
Chip wrote: It is pleasant to have a place to go and read without being hammered by advertising. Even here, there is the Adagio advertising ... but this is more easily overlooked especially if you have your "scrolling" setting on scrolling versus "dynamic" or "fixed" ... if you have not already done so, you should set to "scrolling" imho.
Oh wow, this is awesome. On a 13" screen, I love not having that header cut off the top third of my viewing space!
Yeah, huge difference in readability of the forum.

To change, go to user control panel>Profile (go to bottom of page)>change to Scrolling>submit.

Your life will suddenly change for the better. :mrgreen:

Feb 13th, '14, 05:46

by William » Feb 13th, '14, 05:46

Chip wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:
Yeah, huge difference in readability of the forum.

To change, go to user control panel>Profile (go to bottom of page)>change to Scrolling>submit.

Your life will suddenly change for the better. :mrgreen:
Chip, what is the difference between Scrolling and Dynamic?

Feb 13th, '14, 15:35

by Chip » Feb 13th, '14, 15:35

William wrote:Chip, what is the difference between Scrolling and Dynamic?
With scrolling the entire TeaChat window [edit: including the Adadio/TeaChat header] and IM scrolls up and down at your command. You will maximize the forum viewing area on your monitor.

With dynamic, the entire Adagio header and the darkened (highlighted) portion of the top of the forum plus the IM remain stationary while the rest of the forum scrolls ... and it will scroll "under" the entire header section. In essence you lose a good portion of potential forum viewing space at the top with dynamic.

Thus, unless keeping a constant eye on the IM is your top priority, "scrolling" is much better. You can always switch back and forth to suit your needs at a particular moment.

Feb 13th, '14, 16:20

by William » Feb 13th, '14, 16:20

Chip wrote:
With dynamic, the entire Adagio header and the darkened (highlighted) portion of the top of the forum plus the IM remain stationary while the rest of the forum scrolls
With my laptop, I obtain this effect choosing the fixed option, while scrolling and dynamic seems to give the same effect. :?:

Feb 13th, '14, 16:27

by Chip » Feb 13th, '14, 16:27

William wrote:
Chip wrote:
With dynamic, the entire Adagio header and the darkened (highlighted) portion of the top of the forum plus the IM remain stationary while the rest of the forum scrolls
With my laptop, I obtain this effect choosing the fixed option, while scrolling and dynamic seems to give the same effect. :?:
Are you sure? Check again.

Scrolling is as I have described previously. I edited this slightly ...
Chip wrote:With scrolling the entire TeaChat window [edit: including the Adadio/TeaChat header] and IM scrolls up and down at your command. You will maximize the forum viewing area on your monitor.

While Dynamic and Fixed are seemingly the same on my monitor, like dynamic I described previously.

Feb 13th, '14, 16:31

by William » Feb 13th, '14, 16:31

Tried right now.
Fixed option has the top part of the page blocked, while scrolling and dynamic are the same.

Funny! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply