Sunday TeaDay, 3.02.08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How big a part of your day is TEA?

Really big, huge
25%
Pretty big
18%
Big
24%
Not a biggy
16%
A small part
16%

Total votes: 55

Mar 2nd, '08, 12:17

by olivierco » Mar 2nd, '08, 12:17

CynTEAa wrote: Ooooo - where is the Keemun Mao Feng from? Smoky or not so much? :)
I bought it at Palais des thés It is out of stock but they currently sell Qimen imperial which is even better (a little bit smoother I would say)
Not smoky at all.

This afternoon Jasmine pearls.

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:04

Chip wrote:Oh, and considering a TeaCareer!
Yeah? Please tell us more!

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:16

by Mil » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:16

I voted for "not a biggie" in the poll, yet I obviously care enough to read and post in a forum devoted to tea. I drink tea nearly every day, I've spent worrying amounts of money on tea and teaware in the past couple of months... and still I don't think it's all that important. Strange. :?

I think the disconnect is that part of my enjoyment of tea comes from thinking of it as a small thing-- it's something simple I can do for myself every day without feeling guilty for indulging.

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:55

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:55

I start drinking when I wake up and dont finish until I go to bed. If I am at home, there is always tea in my cup, and if I am on the run, I always have some in a bottle that I brewed at home, or have some loose with me and make my own wherever I go!

*This morning I started off with Premium Sencha from Indiog-Tea

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:04

by Wesli » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:04

Just finished off the Monk's Top Leaf. Maybe later today I'll open the O-cha Tamaryoku and write something up on it. :D

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:27

by augie » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:27

Define big? I chose big. Like Chip, who considers himself a rational, balanced kind of guy. How do I know if I'm balanced or delusional?

Rational & Balanced:
I oscilate between almost run out of tea and (right now) too much tea.
I love tea, but start the day with coffee. I like Starbucks too, but only 1 serving, thanks.
Some days, on the weekend. I may only have one cup and have gone without tea all weekend.
I won't have tea at all costs -- if I don't have acccess to RO or drinking water, I will absolutely not drink tea made from tap water.

Delusional:
I have 5 different brewing pots/vesels.
I have 3 favorite tea cups (without duck)
I can't start working without making tea.
I drink 6-8 cups of tea throughout the day -- mostly at work.
I notice that I cannot concentrate at work if I have no tea. Mind wanders.
I have realized a few weeks ago that I do not like soda now. If I do have a soda it's ginger ale or 7-UP.
When I travel, I use tea bags. Used to just not drink tea when going away for the weekend. Now, crappy tea will do.

Also feel like Jasmine today. I am enjoying iced Jasmine Green tea today b/c it's going to get up to 62 degrees. Ice coming again Tues. night.

Mar 2nd, '08, 15:04

by JM » Mar 2nd, '08, 15:04

I'm just getting off a coffee addiction so yah, tea is a HUGE part of my day.

* English Breakfast, Chai after super and Rooibos before bed.

Mar 2nd, '08, 15:27

by Victoria » Mar 2nd, '08, 15:27

Chip wrote: ...Throughout the day, tea is on my mind. Hmmm, moderating the top 2 TeaForums possibly on the planet. The time investment alone each day is huge...good thing I LOVE tea, or I would have serious issues.

Oh, and considering a TeaCareer!
And doing an excellent job, by the way. :D
Seeking a TeaCareer is only natural.

Started the morning with Russian Caravan, thanks to Ladytiger. Following up this afternoon with some White Tipped Oolong. Very nice for an inexpensive brew.

Oh, and as for my level, umm yeah it's up there, I'd say pretty big.

Mar 2nd, '08, 15:35

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '08, 15:35

Thanx, Guan Yin Wang Oolong. Nice oolong. Not as green as my normal choices. I would say 25-40% oxidized, probably more like 25%?

Mar 2nd, '08, 16:02

by Victoria » Mar 2nd, '08, 16:02

Chip wrote:Thanx. Guan Yin Wang Oolong. Not as green as my normal choices. I would say 25-40% oxidized, probably more like 25%?
Definitely on the higher end of the low scale, but it wasn't listed. Not as green as I'd like either, this is supposed to be their premium TQY, but I think the lower grade is better.

Mar 2nd, '08, 16:38

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 2nd, '08, 16:38

Tea is definitely a huge part of my day. I've given up being delusional about it and admitted that fact. I drink tea from roughly the time I get up to just before I sleep. I drink tea to wake up, to help focus on my current tasks, to relax, and to help me sleep. I may not be focusing completely on the tea as I enjoy it, but it is always there in the background.

Right now, I am paying full attention to my tea. In celebration that I am recovering from the flu enough to smell and taste, I decided on Fukamushi from Den's. I will be in tea-paradise for a bit yet before I have to get to work on revising a paper.

Mar 2nd, '08, 16:50

by Victoria » Mar 2nd, '08, 16:50

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:...In celebration that I am recovering from the flu enough to smell and taste, I decided on Fukamushi from Den's. I will be in tea-paradise for a bit yet before I have to get to work on revising a paper.
Glad you are feeling better CK!

I'm brewing steep #2 of my white tip oolong

Mar 2nd, '08, 17:23

by jogrebe » Mar 2nd, '08, 17:23

I voted pretty big because while I normally have a cup of tea on hand, my day does not revolve around making and drinking tea.

So far today I've had 3 cups of ripe puerh and 3 cups of sencha. I see another tea coming up soon which has a high change of being Ti Kuan Yin.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 2nd, '08, 17:29

by caradrake » Mar 2nd, '08, 17:29

I had to vote "not a biggy." I've only been drinking tea for a few weeks now, and while I love it, my life does not (yet) revolve around tea. I love to brew and drink a cup, and it has definitely helped me to cut back on the amount of soda I drink. But there have been days that I have not drank any tea at all, and not felt horrible. Of course, there are also days when I brew 4-5 pots of it, and drink 10+ cups ;)

Mar 2nd, '08, 17:57

by henley » Mar 2nd, '08, 17:57

Mil wrote:I think the disconnect is that part of my enjoyment of tea comes from thinking of it as a small thing-- it's something simple I can do for myself every day without feeling guilty for indulging.
Very well said. For me, it's that one little thing I can do for myself that doesn't require a babysitter, an appointment or makes me leave the house. I like to enjoy tea w/bfast or unwind at night w/it. I don't have it everyday but it sure is a treat to steal away those quiet moments.

This afternoon enjoyed a cuppa chocolate raspberry tea.

PS-Inquiring minds want to know more about your possible tea career, Chip.