Today is TeaDay Tuesday 3/04/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How many brewing vessels do you use regularly?

10%
27%
38%
4%
8%
4%
4%
More than 7
6%

Total votes: 52

Mar 4th, '08, 12:16

by Mil » Mar 4th, '08, 12:16

Just one. I have two pots, but the larger one just sits around gathering dust. I'm considering just giving it away; keeping it around "for guests" is a feeble excuse when I so rarely have more than one or two people visiting.

I try to keep my teaware to an absolute minimum-- or anyway, I like to think that I do. The truth is, I now have a stovetop kettle AND a utilitea, but can't bring myself to part with the former because it's the same sort my parents had when I was a kid and it reminds me of home. So it just sits on my stove, taking up space. Silliness.

(For the record, I wasn't a minimalist until I moved to NYC. Yesterday, I caught myself thinking, "I wish I didn't have so many books." My eleven-year-old self would be horrified.)

Mar 4th, '08, 12:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 4th, '08, 12:37

I chose three; my kyūsu, my brown gaiwan, and my Yixing pot dedicated to yancha. There are plenty of others I will use occasionally, but these three get used far more than anything else.

No tea today, and there probably won't be any. :/
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 4th, '08, 12:44

by JM » Mar 4th, '08, 12:44

Two. The first for green the second for black.

*English Breakfast loose, at break time I had iced Rooibos and I look forward to some Earl Grey latter on.

Mar 4th, '08, 13:24

by CynTEAa » Mar 4th, '08, 13:24

Three regularly, I suppose. A few forgotten vessels were recovered during a pantry reorganization this past weekend - a 2 cup ceramic pot, a Bodum tea press thingy from my earlier tea days, and a cuia!

Started my day the usual way with the intrepid Yunnan Gold, and just had a lovely cup of Keemun that really hit the spot.

Mar 4th, '08, 14:26

by olivierco » Mar 4th, '08, 14:26

I tested Ippodo Houjicha, nice taste, but perhaps a little too smoky for my taste.
I am waiting for some Hibiki-an Houjicha to compare.

Just had Gyokuro Kuradashi Super Premium (Hibiki-an). I had five good steeps. Less intense than regular gyokuro, but broader taste. I will buy some more next autumn.

Mar 4th, '08, 14:30

by tenuki » Mar 4th, '08, 14:30

No tea yet today, but I have to share... I got my coffee drinking wife to drink all of the adagio sencha premier I brewed her last night, and it looks like she took the tin with her to work this morning. I've been trying to get that woman to drink tea for years!

<does a little dance>
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 4th, '08, 15:04

by Chip » Mar 4th, '08, 15:04

I am a bit...steamed today. I reordered the Kagoshima Fukamushi from Rishi based on my enjoyment of this rather unique sencha a few weeks prior. I got my order in right before it went to "Temporalily out of stock," something that happens a bit too frequently at Rishi. So, this was from the same harvest and everything as my first order a few weeks previous (still 2006 harvest :roll: ).

I opened it today...I remember clearly my first impressions of this tea from my first encounter...the leaf is clearly different. The first time it was identical to the picture, this time it is simply not the same leaf. I smell it...not the same corny sweet aroma. Chip is getting upset at this point.

I brew it up...this is simply not fukamushi from the Asatsuya varietal which is very distinct and impressive. I am not enjoying this at all. I suspect it is simply the other fuka that they had and they used it to fill my order because the one I ordered was out of stock.

How can this happen except intentionally to a sencha from Kagoshima that is in Nitro-flushed bags...an accident is only so remotely possible. Given my past experience with their (anti)customer service which is growing to be legendary here on TeaChat...I am hating having to contact them. I have 3 unanswered emails to them from previous contact. :x

Mar 4th, '08, 15:08

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 4th, '08, 15:08

I use two vessels more than anything else. I love my kyusu for green teas and the brewing basket for other things. I have paper filters that are used occasionally for Rooibos and Herbals, but the other two get used a lot more. My gaiwan does not see much use though I may take it out later today to play with the oolong samples again. Maybe they will taste better than they did when I was sick.

I started my tea day with a large mug of darjeeling #22. It was a pleasant change after yesterday's two sessions of guricha.

Mar 4th, '08, 15:23

by tenuki » Mar 4th, '08, 15:23

I finally couldn't hold out any longer and broke open my FLT Honorable mention Baozhong I got during my visit there last week.

The problem with this is... all the other teas I have now taste like poo and must be thrown away. :(
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 4th, '08, 15:28

by jogrebe » Mar 4th, '08, 15:28

tenuki wrote:I finally couldn't hold out any longer and broke open my FLT Honorable mention Baozhong I got during my visit there last week.

The problem with this is... all the other teas I have now taste like poo and must be thrown away. :(
Don't throw them out, if you don't want them see if your wife will drink them for you. If not I'll gladly take them off your hands and make sure they get properly disposed of.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 4th, '08, 16:10

by Chip » Mar 4th, '08, 16:10

...regular use...4
3 kyusu
1 yixing
1 porcelain Japanese pitcher style pot that I use more or less like a gaiwan

Around 4-5 others are more semi regular...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 4th, '08, 16:11

by Warden Andy » Mar 4th, '08, 16:11

Out of all my teaware, only three see regular use. The large green tea gaiwan is used everyday. The yancha pot and kyusu is used a few times a week. If mate gourds count, I would vote 4.

Drinking the last of meng ding huang ya. I accidentally heated the water a bit too hot, but it didn't hurt it too bad.

Mar 4th, '08, 16:21

by Victoria » Mar 4th, '08, 16:21

Ladytiger's Den's Sakura Sencha yesterday prompted me to brew up some RoT Spring Cherry, which I soon found regrettable. Ok, next?

Mar 4th, '08, 16:29

by Pentox » Mar 4th, '08, 16:29

Victoria's Own wrote:Ladytiger's Den's Sakura Sencha yesterday prompted me to brew up some RoT Spring Cherry, which I soon found regrettable. Ok, next?
How is Den's Sakura Sencha? I was thinking of getting some, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mar 4th, '08, 16:35

by Victoria » Mar 4th, '08, 16:35

Pentox wrote: How is Den's Sakura Sencha? I was thinking of getting some, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Actually Ladytiger had it yesterday, not me. I think she said it was pretty good. I have been eyeing it myself. I thought the Spring Cherry would get me over it, but no such luck.