FRIDAY!!! TeaDay, 3/07/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

What HOT beverage do you reach for besides tea? Your first choice!!!

Herbal tisane
14%
Rooibus
29%
Yerbe mate
7%
Coffee
26%
Other
17%
Nothing
7%

Total votes: 58

Mar 7th, '08, 12:37
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Mar 7th, '08, 12:37

Space Samurai wrote:Without coffee I'd kill people.
Oh, I have so lost faith in you. :cry:

I thought of you as a high priest of TEA, but evidently, not. :shock:
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Mar 7th, '08, 12:40

by tenuki » Mar 7th, '08, 12:40

Teasweetie wrote:
tenuki wrote: And beer, I drink beer.

And wine.
You drink HOT beer and wine, huh? :wink:
Definitely hot wine. Having a spiced/mulled wine on the stove is a habit when I'm out at the family cabin.. :)
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 7th, '08, 12:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 7th, '08, 12:46

I put down other, as I do often reach for a steaming glass of human blood when I don't feel like tea.

Seriously though, does warm/room temp. beer count? It's at least hot by American Rockie-mountain-cold (lookin at you, coors man Ed) standards.

Mar 7th, '08, 15:13

by Chip » Mar 7th, '08, 15:13

Once again...Sencha Premium is in my cup...once again, outstanding!

Hot cocoa drinkers, please forgive my oversight. I could add it now, but it is a little too late since you have already voted.

I am all for smlling coffee beans...just keep them away from hot water. Bleh.

Space, I suspect you are the King of caffeine on TeaChat. I would do a poll of caffeine, how much do you consume, but you all would get into fights about how it was calculated. :wink:

Mar 7th, '08, 15:19

by Chip » Mar 7th, '08, 15:19

caradrake wrote:
Chip wrote: I have some that are really getting old, 15 years old, grown as topiaries or semi bonsai.
Wow, Chip. Would you happen to have some pictures on hand? I would love to admire them!
I will have to work on that. Unfortunately, a lot of the oldest ones are in a state of decline, but a few have trunks as thick as my wrists.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 7th, '08, 15:37

by olivierco » Mar 7th, '08, 15:37

Yunnan golden tips just after work.
Yuncui now.
A quiet teaday, with only three teas. And no Japanese green... :shock:

Mar 7th, '08, 15:42

by jogrebe » Mar 7th, '08, 15:42

So far today I've had 2 cups of Yunnan Bi Luo Chun and I'm in the process of brewing some Sencha.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 7th, '08, 16:56

by Ladytiger » Mar 7th, '08, 16:56

Right now I'm drinking my free Zhi tea sample of Orange Blossom Oolong which is more likable that the Hou de Orange Blossom Oolong, less orange smell but better taste!

Mar 7th, '08, 16:59

by osadczuk » Mar 7th, '08, 16:59

Chip wrote:Space, I suspect you are the King of caffeine on TeaChat. I would do a poll of caffeine, how much do you consume, but you all would get into fights about how it was calculated. :wink:
Chip, you know I adore Space (see my avatar) but I would have to argue against his caffeine royalty status. Between the coffee, tea, and hot chocolate (minimal, I know) I drink I imagine I have most people over the top here. Especially when I'm not responsible for feeding parasitical beasts (which, in theory will eventually happen.)

And ya'll know my answer. Coffee, all the way. At least two cups a day in the AM. Preferably with cream. Of course, using high quality beans and a press because coffee makers are for the weak.

That being said I own 5 ways of making coffee (2 presses, 2 makers, and an espresso maker.) But I only use the large and small press 99.9% of the time.

I'm thrilled to see all of the votes for coffee though!

As for that other caffeinated beverage, I'm having my new "usual" an English Breakfast/Earl Grey Bravo blend.

Yummy!

Mar 7th, '08, 18:44

by Chip » Mar 7th, '08, 18:44

Spring LiShan ...again, a nice sweet aroma, slightly astringent, well more so than normal, but well within normal tolerances.

I might have matcha a little later...

Hmmm, thinking of a way to use caffeine consumption in a poll. It is hard to do because there is no universally accepted formula for figuring how much is in each tea and how much leaches out during the brewing and at what rate.

Mar 7th, '08, 19:04

by tenuki » Mar 7th, '08, 19:04

Chip wrote:Hmmm, thinking of a way to use caffeine consumption in a poll. It is hard to do because there is no universally accepted formula for figuring how much is in each tea and how much leaches out during the brewing and at what rate.
Chip, everyone knows caffeine is measured in the following units...

1) omg, get me some now I can hardly see straight
2) need more please
3) gonna have more for the helluvit
4) i'm nicely buzzed thank you
5) oopps, not gonna sleep tonight
6) I'm flying! I'm a SPACE SAMURAI!!!
7) omg, I can hardly see straight.
Last edited by tenuki on Mar 7th, '08, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 7th, '08, 19:09

by andy825 » Mar 7th, '08, 19:09

Hot Chocolate is definately my non-tea drink of choice. I like to take 80% sharffenberger (sp?) and mix it with ybarra mexican chocolate and a touch of pasilla chili powder. So yummy in the wintertime.

Right now- yin zhen

Mar 7th, '08, 19:18

by augie » Mar 7th, '08, 19:18

Space Samurai wrote:Without coffee I'd kill people.
:lol: ditto . . . and w/out coffee, I wouldn't be awake enough to make tea.

Mar 7th, '08, 19:27

by RussianSoul » Mar 7th, '08, 19:27

I would have coffee on occasion. I used to drink coffee a lot and had Kona and Blue Mountain stash in my fridge. If I go out with people and it's a good restaurant or a coffee house, I'd have a cup. If it's a Thai place, I love a Thai coffee couple of times a year.

I had Assam Harmony in the morning and then a cup of Genmaicha.

Now I have Buckingham Palace Garden Party tea in my cup. What a name! Makes me smile. It's the second cup of it. Judging by the leaf it's a rather low quality tea, too many broken, too much dust. But I love the taste and especially the finish - the special aromatic dryness of it. This was the first tea I finished the full 4oz package and reordered. Yum!

Mar 7th, '08, 19:33

by TimeforTea » Mar 7th, '08, 19:33

Space Samurai wrote:
Teasweetie wrote:

You can quit coffee. I'm living proof.
Sure, but what would be the point?

I've never quite understood the duality between coffee and tea, why one needs to be declared superior, or why certain people feel coffee is bad for you.
It is due to personal experience. I am much more sensitive to the caffeine in coffee. With coffee, it definitely felt like more of a chemical addiction than with tea. I can wake up in the morning now without feeling comatose if I don't have tea right away. I don't need to drink a cup of tea before I talk to anyone in the morning. I don't crave tea. I don't get crabby if it's 3:00 and I haven't had tea. Heart palpatations are not a concern with tea. Neither is feeling jittery or shaky. All this was not the case with coffee. And that was from only 2 strong cups a day.

Tea does have caffeine, but it has less. More importantly, tea containes an amino acid, theanine, that has the opposite effect from caffeine. Some people refer to it as a "calm alertness". And the caffeine in tea is water soluble, unlike the caffeine in coffee.

I just feel physiologically better drinking tea than I did when I drank coffee. I know there are a handful of other folks on teachat who have shared similar experiences.