Sunday TeaDay!!! 3/23/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A lot of eating going on today, so I wondered, do you ever cook with true TEA?

Yes, quite frequently
2%
Yes, occasionally
10%
Yes I have once or twice
20%
No, but sounds interesting and I would like to try it
41%
No, never have, never considered it, hmmm
20%
NOPE, and not interested
5%
Other
2%

Total votes: 41

Mar 23rd, '08, 13:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '08, 13:16

I am enjoying TEA away from home today...keeping it fairly simple. Brought 2 teas, an infuser basket, and my little Japanese cup. For me, this is kind of roughing it w/o all my other TeaToys.

Drinking a nice couple cups of Guricha which is a pretty simple Japanese green to enjoy fairly casually. I also brought a long a fairly generic LonG Jing which is a ver easy brewer too. So, I am set for the next several hours Tea wise! :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 23rd, '08, 13:45

by RussianSoul » Mar 23rd, '08, 13:45

No, never cooked with tea before. I may if I come across an inspiring recipe, which I haven't this far. Even though I cook a lot of Asian and Indian dishes.

My cold is better, and I had two cups of Assam Boisahabi Estate in the morning and it tasted like it supposed to.

Right now I am finishing up a cup of Blueberry tea that Victoria kindly send me. I am coming to a conclusion that flavored teas are not for me. This is a forth or fifth flavored tea I am sampling, and the answer stays the same. I may use it for ice tea in summer along with Mango and a couple of others I accumulated.

Mar 23rd, '08, 14:34

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 23rd, '08, 14:34

I would love to cook with tea at some point. I love cooking and experimenting with making various foods. Once people wake up from their random naps, I am going to make some chocolate chip mincemeat bars.

Today's tea is Victoria's Blend. It is a nice change from the greens and Rooiboses that I have been drinking a lot of lately.

Mar 23rd, '08, 14:35

by bambooforest » Mar 23rd, '08, 14:35

Chip wrote: Matcha rice is a simple fav way to bring tea into a meal. I make this with a lot of Asian dishes, but have to be careful not to eat it too late.
Beyond the lovely taste, there is an additional potential advantage of this meal.
matcha rice can replace sleep, if necessary.

Mar 23rd, '08, 15:38

by auggy » Mar 23rd, '08, 15:38

Never cooked with tea and haven't yet been bitten with the bug to do so. Not to say that I won't stumble across a recipe that makes me want to try it though. Would like to eat something that someone else cooks using tea, though. :)

This morning was a high-grown English blend. Not bad and I'm closer to liking this black tea than others I've had. This afternoon is Formosa Pouchong. Much more my speed. Quite yummy.

Mar 23rd, '08, 16:51

by olivierco » Mar 23rd, '08, 16:51

A quiet teaday.

Houjicha with lunch, Jasmine pearls this afternoon and before dinner some Uji Gyokuro "Yume no Ukihashi". The first steep is excellent, but despite using my usual quantity of leaves (about 9gr for 100ml), the fourth steep was very light.
For the time being, Uji Gyokuro Kame-Giru-Shi stays my favorite gyokuro.

Rooibos to end the day.

Mar 23rd, '08, 17:17

by Victoria » Mar 23rd, '08, 17:17

Bai Ji Guan in my cup for this afternnon. This is a fairly sturdy tea, I sould get 3 good steeps from it to last me throughout the afternoon.

Very different from most, this one is deeply roasted, full bodied yet sweet and fruity. A very enjoyable wuyi for those, like me, who aren't big wuyi drinkers.

Mar 23rd, '08, 18:21

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '08, 18:21

I am enjoying a very approachable Long Jing, nothing expensive or fancy named...just an everyday LJ. I could almost live on this stuff.

Mar 23rd, '08, 19:20

by witches brew » Mar 23rd, '08, 19:20

This afternoon, I've been steeping my way through some sencha (decaf), and nibbling on some yokan (red bean jelly) and tea cakes from the japanese market.

The second steep was the most flavorful.

Eating yokan brings back very wonderful childhood memories of reading Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by Rumer Godden and creating marvelously authentic teas for my dolls. My mother was very resourceful, calling on a neighbor to ask his sister-in-law Yumiko to help us order tea, teaware and sweets from the catalogs that we could not read.

Mar 23rd, '08, 20:13

by Victoria » Mar 23rd, '08, 20:13

witches brew wrote: Eating yokan brings back very wonderful childhood memories of reading Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by Rumer Godden and creating marvelously authentic teas for my dolls. My mother was very resourceful, calling on a neighbor to ask his sister-in-law Yumiko to help us order tea, teaware and sweets from the catalogs that we could not read.
Wow, what a lovely memory, thanks for sharing!

Second steep of my wuyi for me this afternoon.

Mar 23rd, '08, 22:34

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 23rd, '08, 22:34

I have never cooked with TRUE tea but what I have done is used those "tea on the go" things that you put in a water bottle to season pork loins before grilling them. I will usually make a nice rub with the peach iced tea...gril them to get a nice marking and flavor and finish them in the oven. It gives them amazing flavor an not alot of calories...not that I am trying to watch my weight, but I ususally make them when my dad visits (he and his wife are on a very low sodium diet) and this works great.

*Just premium sencha so far today!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 23rd, '08, 23:56

by Chip » Mar 23rd, '08, 23:56

Yea!!! 4 tea day. Houjicha from 2005...the roasted tea is still pretty good, not prime, but good...and I will bring this back into the menu as a low caffeine night time tea.

I hope those who celebrated Easter had a wonderful day...and as the wise one said earlier, if not, then I hope you had a great TeaDay!!!

Mar 24th, '08, 00:12
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Mar 24th, '08, 00:12

Today was traveling, so I had to settle for (shudder) teabags. But tonight I tried my first flush Darjeeling and had my second flush Assam I bought in Seattle.

Life is good.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.