Tuezzzday, TeaDay, 3/25/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you a White Tea Lover...have you tried it?

White Teas are my favorite teas, drinking them several times a day
2%
White Teas are A favorite Tea and I have one almost every day
4%
I really like them and have White Tea often
23%
I like White Teas and have them occasionally
46%
I have had White Tea
17%
No, haven't had White Tea yet, but it is on my short list to try
6%
No, and I am not in any rush to try them.
2%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 52

Mar 25th, '08, 17:07

by olivierco » Mar 25th, '08, 17:07

I had five good steeps of Ippodo Kaboku Sencha, but I am kind of perplex about its "ultra-premium" denomination. Very nice leaves indeed, but I have seen similar. (Kaburagien for instance).

A rooibos to close a 4 tea teaday.

Mission accomplished

Mar 25th, '08, 17:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Mar 25th, '08, 17:33

Teasweetie wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:JM - Have you tried Darjeeling white teas?
CynTEAa, looks like adagio is out of darjeeling white until July. Are there any other vendors you would suggest for a sample?

Teasweetie, unfortunately this time of year most vendors are out of Darjeeling white. They are a spring harvest. :(

Like, Chip, I find White Peony to be fairly bold. The leaves are more mature than the unopened buds of the Silver Needle. And you do need more leaf. Think soup spoons vs teaspoons. :)

Today I started with my precious Yunnan Gold and am up to third infusion of wenshan baozhong...mmmm - it just keeps on giving!

Mar 25th, '08, 18:17

by Victoria » Mar 25th, '08, 18:17

Ambrosia Teas has white Darjeeling. I haven't tried it yet, but I can vouch for their White Peony, it's one of the best around.

http://www.ambrosiateas.com/loose_teas_wht.html

Mar 25th, '08, 18:43

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 25th, '08, 18:43

The two times I have tried white tea, I failed miserably at it. Even with a lot of leaves in my gaiwan, the first steep was okay and the second was terrible. I have some white peony to try yet, but I haven't been brave enough to open the bag.

My tea day today has consisted of Kyoto Cherry Rose Sencha, Le Marche Spice Rooibos, and Vanilla Rooibos. The Le Marche Spice is a fancy named apple cinnamon rooibos, but it is still pretty good.

Mar 25th, '08, 18:46

by Chip » Mar 25th, '08, 18:46

...isn't anyone drinking tea today but a few of us? Guricha in my cup from O-C. At the end of the day, it is just guricha, but it is a nice varietion for me. Not a sencha though sharing some character...not a Chinese green though sharing some of its character as well. This one really reminds me of Chinese green Luan Gua Pian flavor wise.

TS, I have never seen a Japanese produced white, they import most of theirs from China.

Darjeeling white...well, everything Darjeeling just tastes like a big grey area to me whether it is their so called black, oolong, green or white. If they made Pu-erh, I bet it would also fall into this grey zone.

I truly do like Darjeeling tea, it is just strange how a green can taste like a black, etc.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 25th, '08, 19:30

by RussianSoul » Mar 25th, '08, 19:30

I tried Silver Needles from Adagio. It was nice, I liked the first infusion enough, but not the second. It sits there in my tea collection and I rarely think about it. I did like the White-Green tea in a can from Eto-En. So I voted "I had White tea" because I can't say that I like it all that much.

I had two steeps of Irish Breakfast earlier today. Then I made a cup of Kusmi's Bouquet of Flowers #108, mainly because it's been a while since I had it. It's too sharp somehow for my delicate tastes today. I am sorry I did not make Sencha, which was what I really wanted.

Mar 25th, '08, 19:38

by Chip » Mar 25th, '08, 19:38

RussianSoul wrote: I am sorry I did not make Sencha, which was what I really wanted.
You are forgiven, but do not let that happen again!!! :wink:

Mar 25th, '08, 19:54

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 25th, '08, 19:54

White Darjeeling is my favorite white tea. Not surprising since black Darjeeling (2nd flush) is my stranded-on-a-desert-island tea of choice. I like them both on their own but also because they each make a good base when blended with herbals.

Before finding Adagio a few years ago, I'd never tried white teas. But now I love discovering all the different qualities of each one.

Today I went more green: Kyoto Cherry Rose Sencha to start and finish the day. In between, Raspberry Green blended with a bit of Vanilla and Mint.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Mar 25th, '08, 20:00

by RussianSoul » Mar 25th, '08, 20:00

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote: I am sorry I did not make Sencha, which was what I really wanted.
You are forgiven, but do not let that happen again!!! :wink:
Yes, Sir! I learns my lesson, Sir! Making sencha right now, Sir! :D :D :D

Mar 25th, '08, 20:22

by Victoria » Mar 25th, '08, 20:22

I'm having my second TQY of the afternoon both have been just kind of average.
But we can't all be drinking sencha now can we?

Mar 25th, '08, 20:26

by Chip » Mar 25th, '08, 20:26

Victoria wrote:But we can't all be drinking sencha now can we?
At ease, Russian Soul...enjoy your sencha!!! :D

I on the other hand will move onto my 3rd Japanese tea of the day. I opened a blend of sencha/gyokuro karigane. Smells of gyokuro...I am going in.... :shock:

Mar 25th, '08, 20:28

by RussianSoul » Mar 25th, '08, 20:28

Victoria wrote:But we can't all be drinking sencha now can we?
Yes, we can! :twisted:

I opened a new bag of Guricha from Den's. This stuff is sweet! Love it!

Mar 25th, '08, 20:33

by RussianSoul » Mar 25th, '08, 20:33

Chip wrote:I opened a blend of sencha/gyokuro karigane. Smells of gyokuro...I am going in.... :shock:
I wondered about sencha/gyokuro blends. How do you brew it? Don't sencha and gyokuro need different temps and different timings?

Mar 25th, '08, 20:39

by Victoria » Mar 25th, '08, 20:39

Does anyone have that link for the oolong board?
:twisted:

Mar 25th, '08, 20:55

by Chip » Mar 25th, '08, 20:55

RussianSoul wrote:
Chip wrote:I opened a blend of sencha/gyokuro karigane. Smells of gyokuro...I am going in.... :shock:
I wondered about sencha/gyokuro blends. How do you brew it? Don't sencha and gyokuro need different temps and different timings?
That is a good question and it varies from tea to tea...not sure about this one yet. But it will be more forgiving since it is stems and veins for the most part. I will likely go a little low at first attempt.