FRIDAY>>>TEADAY, 4/04/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

FRIDAY, a day to get to know each other a little, do you have any pets...and any with TeaNames?

Yes, I have pet(s) and at least one with a TeaName
3%
Yes, I have pet(s)
76%
No, I do not have pet(s) at this time, but hope to
7%
No, I do not have pets
12%
Other
2%

Total votes: 58

Apr 4th, '08, 12:59

by RussianSoul » Apr 4th, '08, 12:59

olivierco wrote:Some Darjeeling Puttabong just now: the last of my eight 100 gr packages I bought from 2007 harvest.
More questions for you, olivierco. It sounds like you have finished 800 gr of Darjeeling in a year. Could you tell how many cups a day do you have on average? Approximately of course.

I am trying to figure our how much shincha to order and don't have enough history to estimate from.

Apr 4th, '08, 13:02

by olivierco » Apr 4th, '08, 13:02

I bought last year Darjeelings from Puttabong, Singbulli and North Tukvar (from Mariage Frères et Palais des Thés: 30-40$/100g.)
No real preference for a peculiar estate. I like diversity.

Apr 4th, '08, 13:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 4th, '08, 13:07

RussianSoul wrote:I am trying to figure our how much shincha to order and don't have enough history to estimate from.
Hi Russian Soul...just my 2 Yen worth. I would only buy enough Shincha to get you through June or July. Ichibancha (first flush that is sorted more as needed) is still available after that point. I only enjoy Shincha in the Spring to early Summer usually. After that, Ichibancha is in my cup.

I generally have around 300 grams of sencha a month...having 2 sessions typically per day. (5 X 2 X 30 = 300)

Apr 4th, '08, 13:12

by Pentox » Apr 4th, '08, 13:12

olivierco wrote:I bought last year Darjeelings from Puttabong, Singbulli and North Tukvar (from Mariage Frères et Palais des Thés: 30-40$/100g.)
No real preference for a peculiar estate. I like diversity.
Oh man that was a pricey order.

Apr 4th, '08, 13:14

by olivierco » Apr 4th, '08, 13:14

RussianSoul wrote:
olivierco wrote:Some Darjeeling Puttabong just now: the last of my eight 100 gr packages I bought from 2007 harvest.
More questions for you, olivierco. It sounds like you have finished 800 gr of Darjeeling in a year. Could you tell how many cups a day do you have on average? Approximately of course.

I am trying to figure our how much shincha to order and don't have enough history to estimate from.
I have tea between 3 and 6 times a day. Tea is my principal source of water: I 'd say between 1l and 2.5l a day.

I wouldn't order too much shincha, because Ichibancha sencha (from good vendors) tastes as good as shincha for me. I will surely buy some shincha, but not more than my actual 3-4 month consumption.

Apr 4th, '08, 13:14

by Pentox » Apr 4th, '08, 13:14

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:I am trying to figure our how much shincha to order and don't have enough history to estimate from.
Hi Russian Soul...just my 2 Yen worth. I would only buy enough Shincha to get you through June or July. Ichibancha (first flush that is sorted more as needed) is still available after that point. I only enjoy Shincha in the Spring to early Summer usually. After that, Ichibancha is in my cup.

I generally have around 300 grams of sencha a month...having 2 sessions typically per day. (5 X 2 X 30 = 300)
Wow, that's crazy to think that you go through 3.6Kg / yr. I probably go through just as much, but don't like to think about what my consumption rate is :P

Apr 4th, '08, 13:18

by scotty X » Apr 4th, '08, 13:18

i have a bunny (blue jersey wooly) named Po-po. this travesty of a name was given to him by his original owners, who gave him to an ex-ladyfriend of mine. we tried to give him a new name many times, but nothing stuck. perhaps we should have turned to tea names: i have some floor cushions that i read on occasionally, and he has come up to me all nonchalantly, only to start drinking my tea.

i started out with some yunnan, then some assam carried me through the early-morning baking, pu-erh saw me safely home, and now i'm looking to go green, but not sure which.

Apr 4th, '08, 13:25

by henley » Apr 4th, '08, 13:25

Chip wrote: That is funny, Wulong was not the first newborn outside kitty rescued here. Little Bit was rescued 2 summers ago...I never thought he would grow and called him the most appropriate name possible...I thought.
The name coincidence is funny. Several years ago we had a cat that found us. However, he was the opposite of yours as he was the biggest cat I've ever seen. When he rubbed up against my legs, he came to my knees. Because of his size, hubby named him "Hercules".

Apr 4th, '08, 13:37

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 4th, '08, 13:37

I'll start with teas since that is shorter and doesn't involve pictures. This morning, I had some Blood Orange Rooibos in hopes that citrus tea would help clear out my sinuses. It is very tasty. I generally am not a fan of citrus tea, but I like this blend. Now I am drinking chocolate tea with a pinch of peppermint. It hits the spot with the fun rain and snow mix that we are getting today.

Cats are awesome! At home, I have my two kitties, Cinnamon and Pixie, and mom has her dog, Rosie. There is Cinnamon tea though I think Mom named the kitty after the spice. Cinnamon is where I get my forum name from. Pixie was named after the cat character in the Robert Heinlein book The Cat Who Walked Through Walls. The actual name of the cat in the book was Pixel, but Dad convinced me to name my cat something else since Mom didn't understand what a pixel was. Rosie was named after the wine that my parents had for dinner the night they got her. It was called Rosé de Isabella so the dog ended up as Rosie.

Cinnamon and Pixie
Image Image

Rosie

Apr 4th, '08, 13:43

by RussianSoul » Apr 4th, '08, 13:43

Thank you, Chip and olivierco!

This gives me a starting point. I settled into having one Sencha session a day. This would mean 5g x 30 = 150g a month. So I probably will order 3 bags. Does it sound proper?

Since I planning to order from o-cha, I will probably get Hatsumi, Miyabi and something third for diversity. I was thinking about adding Midori to the list, but then heard that it may taste too bold. Any advice on that? What is your opinion on Midori?

Apr 4th, '08, 13:48

by Chip » Apr 4th, '08, 13:48

The top four from O-Cha are all outstanding...Hatsumi, Fuka Supreme, Yutaka Midori, and Miyabi. Add to that his Tsuen Kirameki that he offers only as shincha.

The YM is one of my favs and is very good as shincha.

And you are most welcome of course.

Apr 4th, '08, 13:57

by Chip » Apr 4th, '08, 13:57

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:I generally have around 300 grams of sencha a month...having 2 sessions typically per day. (5 X 2 X 30 = 300)
Wow, that's crazy to think that you go through 3.6Kg / yr. I probably go through just as much, but don't like to think about what my consumption rate is :P
Yeah, the math can freak you out. But that is just 2 teas per day...I also have an oolong or Chinese green...or 2. And then when you do the $cost math...yikes.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 4th, '08, 14:19

by tenuki » Apr 4th, '08, 14:19

horsencl wrote:nine betta fish.
You must breed them, 7 female and 2 male?
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 4th, '08, 14:36

by TimeforTea » Apr 4th, '08, 14:36

Chip wrote:he will only eat canned salmon and crunchy cat treats...what a life.
I see Little Bit has you trained well, huh? :wink:
Kidding aside, he's lucky to have you!

Apr 4th, '08, 14:38

by TimeforTea » Apr 4th, '08, 14:38

scotty X wrote:i have a bunny (blue jersey wooly) named Po-po. this travesty of a name was given to him by his original owners, who gave him to an ex-ladyfriend of mine. we tried to give him a new name many times, but nothing stuck. perhaps we should have turned to tea names: i have some floor cushions that i read on occasionally, and he has come up to me all nonchalantly, only to start drinking my tea.
Would love to see a photo of Po-Po. Perhaps one of him drinking tea??

I've always wanted a pet bunny, but I don't think that would go over too well with the greyhounds in the house...!