tUEsdAy tEAdAy, 4/08/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

A few months ago, 90% of responders said they were drinking their tea alone, BUT TODAY, we want to know, do you prefer to drink your TEA alone?

Yes. For me, tea is a state of mind, focus. I definitely prefer my tea alone
2%
Yes, most times I like my tea alone. It is a retreat, a private moment
19%
Yes, generally I prefer my tea alone
14%
Yes/no...I prefer to split my tea time
45%
No, generally I would prefer tea time shared
9%
No, I generally prefer tea time shared
2%
No, I would always like to share my tea time with someone
2%
Other
9%

Total votes: 58

Apr 8th, '08, 03:24
Scrolling: scrolling

tUEsdAy tEAdAy, 4/08/08

by Chip » Apr 8th, '08, 03:24

Yesterday's poll revealed many of the responders were serious about new harvest teas. Yet still others appeared content to buy as they needed regardless of harvest. Please feel free to check it out and vote if you have not. The discussion was quite interesting and diversified as is the membership of TeaChat.

Welcome to TeaDay everybody! Pour a pot and come share with everyone what is in your cup today...all day. So, stop by throughout the day if you are able and post updates. If you must reflect back on your teaday, we would enjoy that too.

While you are here, be sure to check out what everyone else is sipping today...that is half the fun, right?

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic, one of the first TeaDays asked if you were drinking alone. Today we ask, what do you prefer...and why. So please share with everyone what you prefer...a solitary tea time or one shared...or some where in between. And why of course.

I am looking forward to hearing about what is in your cup today and hearing your responses. Have a great TeaDay, everyone.

Apr 8th, '08, 04:03

by Trioxin » Apr 8th, '08, 04:03

Doesn't really matter to me. I generally drink tea alone mainly because I'm usually alone.

Currently drinking 2007 Makaibari 1st flush Organic

Currently wearing L'Artisan Parfumeurs Tea for Two (chicks dig it)

Apr 8th, '08, 04:07

by Trey Winston » Apr 8th, '08, 04:07

I work alone and usually drink tea when I work, but shared tea moments are usually better, especially if I succeed in converting someone from coffee (a rare occurrence). Silver Needle today, as usual.
Trey

Apr 8th, '08, 04:44

by Terrasi » Apr 8th, '08, 04:44

I would always prefer to share my tea, I wouldn't care if they wanted the most expensive tea I had. I always try to recruit people to the way of tea, but with limited success. My girlfriend still drinks teabags, but at least we can have the occasional tea time together.

Drinking some oolong #40. I should try the other 39 oolongs...

Apr 8th, '08, 06:26

by omegapd » Apr 8th, '08, 06:26

Both. I enjoy my family's Sunday routine of tea with lunch and I also enjoy swapping tea with friends in the mail, etc. It's always interesting to hear their reviews on some of my favorite teas...

But, like this morning, I was off work, got up early and am enjoying some China Black tea while I read here and check out my local news. The house is quiet, the family is still asleep and it's "me" time. I think we all need that now and again.

EW

Apr 8th, '08, 07:08

by olivierco » Apr 8th, '08, 07:08

I share tea as frequently as possible (at work, after a dinner with friends), but I like also to have my tea alone.
No tea for breakfast today.
Now houjicha with my lunch.

Apr 8th, '08, 08:40

by TimeforTea » Apr 8th, '08, 08:40

I voted Yes, most times I like my tea alone. It is a retreat, a private moment. Like I said the other day, my favorite place to drink tea is on my papasan chair with a good book, comfy blanket, music in the background, and with my dogs. However, life as busy as it is--this rarely happens!

I do enjoy tea with my husband, but usually we're both doing something else while drinking tea. It would be nice, however, to just sit over a cup of tea with him or a friend and chat or do nothing else but enjoy the moment together. Actually, sometimes after dinner I will brew white tea for us. That is always nice.

This morning I am enjoying a cup of lady orchid.

Apr 8th, '08, 09:01

by CynTEAa » Apr 8th, '08, 09:01

This is actually a tough question. While I relish my private tea moments, those that have been with others have been very special for the most part. I may still be stuck with the idea of being in the garden with my tea...waiting on warmer weather and greenery to fill in the landscape a bit. :)

Started with Yunnan Gold first and second infusions. Think it is going to be a five cup day...

Apr 8th, '08, 09:44

by mthed » Apr 8th, '08, 09:44

each can be nice in it's own way.

stayed up all night for not really any good reason :-/ had a twice infused white peony lying around from yesterday morning. it was actually a really nice third infusion and went awesome with the spectacular cookies my roommate made. i love this tea.

Apr 8th, '08, 09:51

by Victoria » Apr 8th, '08, 09:51

Poll: Yes, most times I like my tea alone. It is a retreat, a private moment.
Not to rule out sharing with someone special when those moments come along.

I hope to make up for yesterday's NO TEA day. Not sure how that happened, but I plan to work in as many as possible!

My first brew this morning: omegapd's China black - it's very good, nice and smooth.

Have a nice day eveyone!

Apr 8th, '08, 11:01

by fencerdenoctum » Apr 8th, '08, 11:01

For me it depends on what I'm brewing at the time. Matcha is more of an alone tea for me, and usually when I fire up the gaiwan. When I break out the kyusu or my glass pot I do enjoy company. I do love it when I use my Yixing pot for people. They think its a toy at first!

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Apr 8th, '08, 11:08

by chamekke » Apr 8th, '08, 11:08

Right now, er... I'm drinking coffee :oops: But I'm pretty sure there will be some Oolong later in the morning!

Enjoying tea when alone, and sharing it with friends, are equally important to me. I frequently take tea on my own, since my hubby's tastes don't extend much beyond orange pekoe teabags in a Brown Betty. So sometimes it just has to be a solitary pleasure. For that reason, when friends visit, I especially like being able to share some recent discovery (or an old favourite).

One thing tea ceremony has taught me is the importance (and fun) of making the serving of tea memorable. I like taking the time to choose a tea cup that I think the guest will especially enjoy, or which is appropriate to the day in some way - and the same goes with the other tea "utensils". It's enjoyable to make an occasion of it.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 8th, '08, 11:16

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 8th, '08, 11:16

I love sharing a pot of tea with people, mostly because my heart is revived when relationships are built. Tea is a wonderful vehicle for fellowship and practicing hospitality.
Living alone, though, I've come also to really enjoy tea as my personal routine.

Started this morning with a couple infusions of a lovely Jade Ti Guan Yin (teaspring), but coffee is in my morning protein smoothie (ack, I know, a closeted coffee person :oops: , but the only way I drink coffee is if it doesn't taste like coffee).
After work I'll finish off that Jade TGY, but now at work I'm drinking White Monkey (adagio).
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 8th, '08, 11:34

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 8th, '08, 11:34

Most of the time I drink tea alone. Even though I bring a travel mug with me to classes and meals, it is still just me drinking the tea. Sometimes I will share tea with other people, like if my friends are sick, they are given a mug of some sort of citrus tea with a dollop of honey or when I am home from school, I break out the PersonaliTea to make tea for my family. My favorite time is being able to have a mug of tea first thing in the morning alone when things are quiet.

This morning is more White Tip Oolong. I've decided it works well to ease me into being awake. It is not as bold and strong as a black tea nor is it too subtle like some greens can be.

Apr 8th, '08, 11:45

by tenuki » Apr 8th, '08, 11:45

Favorite for me is sharing tea. Unfortunately I work alone at home so most of my tea time is alone. A lot of the time I actually go out and work at coffee shops because I need the noise and bustle to keep me focused.

When I go to a teashop it is definitely for social reasons primarily, either to see my tea friends, make new friends, or to play go.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )