frIdAy tEAdAy 4/11/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Simply put, is there someone on TeaChat who has been a TeaMentor, TeaGuide, or strongly influenced you on your TeaJourney?

Most definitely yes
25%
Yes
25%
I don't think so
26%
No
25%

Total votes: 57

Apr 11th, '08, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Apr 11th, '08, 11:57

Space Samurai wrote:Chip sensei led me down the path to Japanese tea. I didn't like it at first, but with his help I learned to brew it properly and now that's almost all I drink.
Good thing he is patient. Thank you.

At work now rebelling with a reprise of my yesterday's brew - Xiang Hua Tie Guan Yin oolong - so delish!

Apr 11th, '08, 12:40

by TimeforTea » Apr 11th, '08, 12:40

olivierco wrote:Nice cups. I hope you won't catch teaware fever...
Trying hard to avoid it but sometimes it gets the better of me...!

Apr 11th, '08, 12:53

by Mary R » Apr 11th, '08, 12:53

Space Samurai wrote:Hop, Scruff, Mary, EO, and Marshal were the ones who got me started blogging. When I joined TeaChat a year ago, they were doing it and it looked like fun. It has been something that's brought me a lot of joy. Thanks guys.
As I recall, we sort of badgered you into it. "Space, when are you going to start a blog?" "Space, when are you going to join the cool kids?"

I'm glad you did start writing. I've adored your tongue-in-cheek style and have learned loads--especially about Japanese teas--from you.

Apr 11th, '08, 13:11

by chamekke » Apr 11th, '08, 13:11

I've only been here five days... so my answer has to be No.

My main "tea gurus" would be Lin Yutang, for being the first to pique my interest in tea culture (The Importance of Living), and my Japanese sensei in the Way of Tea, a humble soul who would probably not want me posting her name on the Interwebs. Oh, and special mention to my mom for her exacting standards in making your basic pot o' tea (preheat the teapot! steep for 8 minutes! milk first, then tea!).

On the other hand, I am on the lookout for a pu guru :wink:

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 11th, '08, 13:37

by Mary R » Apr 11th, '08, 13:37

chamekke wrote:On the other hand, I am on the lookout for a pu guru :wink:
cough*BearsBearsBears and/or hop_goblin*cough

Apr 11th, '08, 14:00

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 11th, '08, 14:00

Teasweetie wrote:This morning, I had citron green in my new leaves of grass cup from New Mexico Tea Co.: http://www.nmteaco.com/Japanese-Tea-Cup ... 4-164.html
I've been looking at those too. How are they?

I would have to say yes, people did help me here, but it wasn't just one specific person since so many people were more than willing to answer my questions, give me advice, and recommend teas. I was already liking green teas before I came here, so it only required a few nudges in the right direction to find some good teas.

I fully blame Victoria for trading tea samples with me that showed that not all oolongs are icky and some are actually really tasty. I had an enjoyable afternoon yesterday with gaiwan brewing the 90s Aged Nan Tou sample and a nice evening with 2007 Bai Mu Dan Wuyi. Today is the sample of Da Ye Wuyi from TeaCuppa and I am about to go for the third steep.

Apr 11th, '08, 14:08

by Sam. » Apr 11th, '08, 14:08

I said yes, not because there's been any specific person who has given me tons of information but because I've learned mountains of new information in the past few months from reading TeaChat. Last night Wes gave me a nice, concise lesson on pu-erh types!

All I've had today was some generic green tea from a teabag. :shock:

Apr 11th, '08, 14:53

by TimeforTea » Apr 11th, '08, 14:53

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:I've been looking at those too. How are they?
They are nice cups--very light to hold, and a good size. The inside does not take away from the brewed liquid's color. Also, the design reminds me of spring. The green is less of a sage green and more bright. Best yet, they are dishwasher safe.

Apr 11th, '08, 15:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 11th, '08, 15:02

Thanx for the kind words!!!

I am one of those bull headed must find my own way types...this unforunately is the longer, harder journey to take. I took this trip for the first 6 years of my TeaJourney.

Upon joining the forum, I learned more in my first 6 months than I did in my first 6 years. As I tried to pinpoint an individual...it was really pretty hard to do, because it was more of the forum collective.

But one name always comes to the front and he is my Japanese tea sensei, Bamboo Forest, who finally got me on the right track with green tea and especially Japanese green tea. It was like learning magic from Merlin. Finally the secrets of sencha were revealed to me.

And with that...Fukamushi from Kagoshima is in my cup...and really loving it.
Last edited by Chip on Apr 11th, '08, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 11th, '08, 15:05

by augie » Apr 11th, '08, 15:05

1. Anyone who has ever asked a question.
2. Anyone who has ever posted any answer.

Apr 11th, '08, 15:48

by olivierco » Apr 11th, '08, 15:48

Finishing a nice 6 tea teaday with jasmine pearls before dinner and rooibos in a few minutes. My new teaware has just been shipped from Fukuoka. I hope to receive it by monday or tuesday.

Apr 11th, '08, 16:08

by insanitylater » Apr 11th, '08, 16:08

just reading the various threads is teaching me a lot. everyone here is very helpful

had english breakfast earlier

gonna have some lavender sencha now. i better finish it up soon since i've had it a little over a month and it's not in a tin :oops:

Apr 11th, '08, 16:11

by chamekke » Apr 11th, '08, 16:11

olivierco wrote:Finishing a nice 6 tea teaday with jasmine pearls before dinner and rooibos in a few minutes. My new teaware has just been shipped from Fukuoka. I hope to receive it by monday or tuesday.

From what's visible in your photograph, this certainly looks like a very beautiful chabako set!

If you'd like to share photographs of it once it arrives, I for one would love to see them :D

Apr 11th, '08, 16:55

by Pentox » Apr 11th, '08, 16:55

olivierco wrote:Finishing a nice 6 tea teaday with jasmine pearls before dinner and rooibos in a few minutes. My new teaware has just been shipped from Fukuoka. I hope to receive it by monday or tuesday.

That is one amazing looking chabako. Soo envious

Apr 11th, '08, 20:11

by greenisgood » Apr 11th, '08, 20:11

Yeah, I would like to especially thank all the Japanese green tea people for helping me to enjoy the finer points what has kind of become my tea-niche in sencha. I might not have discovered my daily afternoon tea ritual without these forums (teachat and o-cha).

Darjeeling Mullootar 2nd Flush and Sencha Shouike-no-o so far, tonight seems like a Big Red Robe night