Thursday is TeaDay 4/24/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

In light of the recent IM/TC problems, Henley wanted to know, are you "addicted" to TeaChat?

Seriously addicted
18%
Addicted
11%
I can quit anytime I want, really! I just don't want to
40%
No, not really
21%
Definitely not
9%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Apr 24th, '08, 15:06

by olivierco » Apr 24th, '08, 15:06

Chip wrote:
I ordered Hatsumi and Kirameki together since they were supposed to ship out w/i a few days of each other. I hope this is still the case!

The TeaFridge is bare of sencha. I have some gyokuro and karigane in there.
As long as you have Gyokuro...

I have only ordered Kirameki so far (with a bag of Gyokuro).
I will surely order some Miyabi, but I asked Kevin if he could find me a 48 tines Chasen (Chu-Araho) for koicha so I am waiting for his answer before ordering.

Some Rooibos to end the day right now

Apr 24th, '08, 15:30

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 24th, '08, 15:30

olivierco wrote:I will surely order some Miyabi, but I asked Kevin if he could find me a 48 tines Chasen (Chu-Araho) for koicha so I am waiting for his answer before ordering.
Y'all crack me up. Everyone I know thinks I'm too big for my britches because I drink tea that doesn't come in a bag and I (gasp) time how long I brew it. But y'all just plain speak a different language.

And, in my world, Kevin is a daft penguin who goes about saving the inhabitants of the universe.

http://bigidea.com/products/shows/shows ... px?pid=119

http://www.bigidea.com/additional_media ... c_4269.jpg

Apr 24th, '08, 15:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 15:32

tenuki wrote:In tea as in many things there is art and there is science. The purpose of art is to discover the new, the purpose of science is to produce the same results every time.

I prefer art with my tea and am perfectly willing to suffer the occasional minor gaff in pursuit of new perfection and the joy of creating.

Repetition is boring and easy.
No question...I am definately more of a TeaScientist than an TeaArtist. But I must still discover the right weight for most teas and the right brewing method. That is my art.

I do not agree with you on the repetition is boring and easy part...perhaps this is the case for you, which I would not dispute. It is not a universally held concept though.

For me, repetition is simply tasty..getting to the point where I can say eureka, I have discovered the right amount that brings me the most pleasure...it is a journey of a different pathway. Each person brings a different skill set and personality along the way.

It is also a matter of using modern tools, we all use them in one form or another. I am mystified by strong reactions to a scale. Perhaps it was this way when modern electric kettles began to hit the tea scene. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 24th, '08, 15:35

by henley » Apr 24th, '08, 15:35

Had Yunnan Gold w/bfast this morning.

I never visit the IM section but my whole TC has been goofed up since Tuesday. Once I get into TC or change pages, I immediately have to click on the red X beside the refresh button otherwise it kicks me out after 20 seconds.

Apr 24th, '08, 15:36

by chamekke » Apr 24th, '08, 15:36

olivierco wrote:I will surely order some Miyabi, but I asked Kevin if he could find me a 48 tines Chasen (Chu-Araho) for koicha so I am waiting for his answer before ordering.
If Kevin can't help you, give these two sellers a try (they sell tea-ceremony supplies, including koicha/thick-tea chasen):

Tea Circle (http://www.tea-circle.com/miscellaneous.html#chasen)
Tea Toys (http://www.teatoys.com/krenewa.html)

I sent the latter an e-mail last month and am still awaiting a reply; so for now, Tea Circle may be the better bet.
Last edited by chamekke on Apr 24th, '08, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 24th, '08, 15:37

by Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 15:37

ThinkingOutLoud wrote: Y'all crack me up. Everyone I know thinks I'm too big for my britches because I drink tea that doesn't come in a bag and I (gasp) time how long I brew it. But y'all just plain speak a different language.

And, in my world, Kevin is a daft penguin who goes about saving the inhabitants of the universe.

http://bigidea.com/products/shows/shows ... px?pid=119

http://www.bigidea.com/additional_media ... c_4269.jpg
LOL...yeah, when I read Olivier's statement in your quote...it did occur to me we must be from another planet. That is tooo funny.

How is the TKY???

Apr 24th, '08, 15:37

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 24th, '08, 15:37

Chip wrote:Perhaps it was this way when modern electric kettles began to hit the tea scene. :wink:
What, do you think, was the reaction to the first stove top screaming whistle kettles? Just the memory of the sound of my mother's still makes me cringe. But I am, by nature, a very quiet person, so ....

Apr 24th, '08, 15:42

by olivierco » Apr 24th, '08, 15:42

chamekke wrote:
If Kevin can't help you, give these two sellers a try (they sell tea-ceremony supplies, including koicha/thick-tea chasen):

Tea Circle (http://www.tea-circle.com/miscellaneous.html#chasen)
Tea Toys (http://www.teatoys.com/krenewa.html)

I sent the latter an e-mail last month and am still awaiting a reply; so for now, Tea Circle may be the better bet.
Thanks for the links, but I think Kevin will find the 48 tines chasen. I am not in a hurry yet.

Apr 24th, '08, 15:46

by Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 15:46

henley wrote:Had Yunnan Gold w/bfast this morning.

I never visit the IM section but my whole TC has been goofed up since Tuesday. Once I get into TC or change pages, I immediately have to click on the red X beside the refresh button otherwise it kicks me out after 20 seconds.
You are still experiencing this. I think once the IM is back up, that will correct itself as well. After about 20 seconds most of us experience a screen hiccup when the IM reverts to the error screen where the IM usually is. That is pretty annoying...but getting the boot each time would be enough to cause cursing outbursts...

I am surprised IM is not back up yet.

Apr 24th, '08, 16:44

by Salsero » Apr 24th, '08, 16:44

Chip wrote:Using a scale...for me...was the single biggest improvement to my brewing since ... blah, blah, blah ...
Chip, come on, you are too analytical for 12 steps, you need a 113-step program!
Chip wrote:The TeaFridge is bare of sencha.
Time to bring out the Seppuku. Hara-kiri via chashaku, like a real man.

BTW,
are any other men around here ashamed to admit in public that they frequent a forum called
TeaChat?

In my cup, a fascinating 2008 First Flush Castleton Moonlight, courtesy of Trioxin. Amazing stuff: a complex taste package tied together with a very vegetative string.

Apr 24th, '08, 17:00

by motokochan » Apr 24th, '08, 17:00

I can quit anytime I want! I just don't want to yet.

BTW, if you miss live chat, you should go and make the IRC teachat room lively. #teachat on Rizon.
Teasweetie wrote: I am on a laptop, and the mouse is a square pad below the keyboard. My cursor has "floated" off the screen. It is impossible to get it back using the square pad. I can force it back onto the screen using the purple ball above the "b" key, but it is a major struggle! How can I get my cursor back?
That "ball" is also the mouse. You have two ways to work. Personally, I prefer the trackpoint (as IBM calls it), but to each their own (I've gotten adept at the pad since my Toshiba model doesn't have the point).

The thing is, that thing is (usually) a strain gauge. Basically, it measures the force put on it to determine how far and how much to move the pointer. However, it often needs to recalibrate as temperature changes and as you use it.

In your case, it looks like the thing gets stuck in one direction and forces the pointer to the side. Not a common problem, but it does happen.

One way I've found that often works is to move your finger on it in a circular motion a few times, reversing the direction about halfway through. Apply a decent amount of force, but not when doing this. This usually causes it to fix itself.

If it keeps having an issue, see if there is a setting in the computer to disable the pointer. Usually, when powering on the system, you'll see a keypress for going into "setup". The setting should be in there.

HTH,
Motokochan

Apr 24th, '08, 17:53

by Wesli » Apr 24th, '08, 17:53

If my Den's doesn't get here within the next hour........

Apr 24th, '08, 17:57

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 24th, '08, 17:57

Chip wrote:How is the TKY???
Funny you should ask! I'm sipping my first cup as I type. It's actually quite good. Not my fave tea ever, but good enough that I'm glad I ordered it. I can see that it *could* stand some art/science to the brew, but it's good enough as is ("just add hot water and drink it, dummy.") Thanks for all the encouragement! :D

Apr 24th, '08, 18:08

by Chip » Apr 24th, '08, 18:08

Great... :D
Jack said

You can't handle my 11 step program...
:wink:

Apr 24th, '08, 18:24

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 24th, '08, 18:24

Jack said

You can't handle my 11 step program...