Friday is TeaDay 4/25/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Chamekke has a philosophical question. If you were a tea, what kind of tea would you be? She is NOT asking for your fav tea.

A black
4%
An oolong
23%
A green
29%
A white
13%
A yellow
No votes
A pu-erh
17%
A flavored
4%
Decaf
No votes
Rooibos
No votes
Herbal
No votes
A flowering tea
2%
Other
8%

Total votes: 48

Apr 25th, '08, 15:06

by tenuki » Apr 25th, '08, 15:06

Wesli wrote:Pu-erh, hands down. I will become better with age, live in harmony with bacteria, mold, and oxygen. Oolong, on the other hand, would have to be re-roasted, and you can't re-roast yourself.
Wesli, nice answer!! You've been funny and wise in spades the last week or so, what's up with that? :P

Apr 25th, '08, 15:51

by olivierco » Apr 25th, '08, 15:51

Day is almost over and I am finishing it with some jasmine pearls.

I eventually chose "other".

Apr 25th, '08, 16:08

by Katrina » Apr 25th, '08, 16:08

I picked oolong because it takes some time to get to know it. Each infusion/experience is a little different and reveals a little more. (Not that I'm implying that I'm all that deep, just not all that forward!)

I'm just getting to my first cup of the day. I think a green....Maybe Ancient Emerald Lily. (By the way, the Fukamushi Sencha I had yesterday was unbelievable...) Then on to Oolong #8.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Apr 25th, '08, 16:42

by RussianSoul » Apr 25th, '08, 16:42

Oh, Katrina, please share what you think of Ancient Emerald Lily! I just bought some in Whole Foods, having mistaken it for something else. But now I think I'll keep it. I have not tried it yet.

Apr 25th, '08, 16:43

by CanadaBlue » Apr 25th, '08, 16:43

I'm not a tea leaf.

I don't like to sit in hot water or be steeped. I don't like to be sipped or slurped. And I don't want to be tossed out after being used a few times.
And as mentioned before, if I were tea then I'd be a cannibal.

I just like to drink tea - and beer.

Oh - what tea am I like? Too new with the different types to know how to answer. What tea is quiet, opinionated, lazy, flexible and like to read?

Apr 25th, '08, 18:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 25th, '08, 18:03

...But I like a good steam too...maybe sencha, but not fukamushi.

A Kamairicha Guricha from Pentox. Running out of good options right now. Well, that is a lie...just running out of Japanese sencha options.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 25th, '08, 18:17

by henley » Apr 25th, '08, 18:17

No usual tea w/bfast this morning :( but did have a small pot of Oolong #40 w/lunch.

I've been thinking about this question since it first appeared in "that other post" & had a feeling it might show up as a question one day. :wink: If I were a tea, it would be Hot Cinnamon Spice... sweet but bold.

Apr 25th, '08, 18:30

by TimeforTea » Apr 25th, '08, 18:30

auggy wrote:Used less leaf so it wasn't like drinking the milk after a bowl of Fruity Pebbles again, but I still kept thinking of cereal.
You've ruined citron green for me. I was so happy in my denial. :wink:
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 25th, '08, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 25th, '08, 18:35

by TimeforTea » Apr 25th, '08, 18:35

tenuki wrote:I'd be a Long Island Iced Tea. ;)
ROFL! :lol:

Apr 25th, '08, 19:20

by chamekke » Apr 25th, '08, 19:20

Aphroditea wrote:Now, technically I asked the question. Chamekke asked what kind of tea Sartre would be. (I think the current answer to that question is orange pekoe)

Then I turned it around and asked Chamekke (who then asked for it to be a poll) - just getting history straight. :wink:
Yes, this was really Aphroditea's idea! I just silently took credit for it :D

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 25th, '08, 19:21

by tenuki » Apr 25th, '08, 19:21

finally had some tea. :D

This week I'm using my scale for educational purposes. I'm putting my gaiwan on the scale, then 'Taring' it out, then eyeballing the tea as usual, then noting the grams prior to brewing (I cover up the display when eyeballing so I'm not distracted). This is to test the theory that oolongs can be standardized at a particular weight/ml ratio. A few extra steps ( a button press and a written note), but some friends have challenged me to grow. :) My gaiwan is a known/measured 90 ml.

Just finishing up the last brew of a Formosa Oolong 'Heirloom San Ling Xi' from Red Blossom. this is a decent oolong, I think I almost hit it right the first time, we'll see how it goes with a slightly longer initial brew next time.

7.5 grams of tea in 90 ml boiling fuji/britta mix water. No rinse (leaves looked very clean and no tea dust to bitter things up). 20,30,60,80... 8 brewings. leaves fully opened at 3 brews, 80% of the way their first brew.

leaves are smaller than i'm used to seeing in a rolled oolong, but in good shape. some double and single leaves too, not the triads I'm used to seeing too. interesting tea. not a yearly must have, but glad I ordered it.

---- edit, added next tea for the day ----

Now a Floating Leaves Tea 2nd Place Baozhong, a tea I know very well and love. :)

6.2 grams in 90 ml boiling fuji water. no rinse. 15, 20, 30... Hit this one just right too, but that is no suprise it's my current favorite. almost out. :(
Last edited by tenuki on Apr 25th, '08, 19:47, edited 3 times in total.

Apr 25th, '08, 19:35

teachat

by jim109 » Apr 25th, '08, 19:35

I voted green. I find it hard to make perfect, just like me! Had Yunnan gold this AM, Saturday is my green tea day with my morning toast. Ordered my first sincha yesterday, just by description on the website. Anyone know what this is like? " Shincha - Uji Miyabi" Thanks jim

Apr 25th, '08, 19:52

Re: teachat

by Chip » Apr 25th, '08, 19:52

jim109 wrote:I voted green. I find it hard to make perfect, just like me! Had Yunnan gold this AM, Saturday is my green tea day with my morning toast. Ordered my first sincha yesterday, just by description on the website. Anyone know what this is like? " Shincha - Uji Miyabi" Thanks jim
Congrats, to some Miyabi is the best sencha around...period. It is typically very grassy and pretty intense.

Apr 25th, '08, 20:25

by auggy » Apr 25th, '08, 20:25

Teasweetie wrote:
auggy wrote:Used less leaf so it wasn't like drinking the milk after a bowl of Fruity Pebbles again, but I still kept thinking of cereal.
You've ruined citron green for me. I was so happy in my denial. :wink:
Hey, it was the fact that you liked it so that made me give it another go! :D

Apr 25th, '08, 20:37

by Chip » Apr 25th, '08, 20:37

chamekke wrote:
Aphroditea wrote:Now, technically I asked the question. Chamekke asked what kind of tea Sartre would be. (I think the current answer to that question is orange pekoe)

Then I turned it around and asked Chamekke (who then asked for it to be a poll) - just getting history straight. :wink:
Yes, this was really Aphroditea's idea! I just silently took credit for it :D
My apologies to Aphroditea!!! Chamekke just shouted the idea louder and I heard her. :lol: