Friday's TeaDay 5/02/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

In the month of April, your one favorite tea (flavored or not) was?

Black
19%
Oolong
27%
Green
32%
White
10%
Pu-erh
11%
Herbal
No votes
Rooibos
2%
Yerbe Mate
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 63

May 2nd, '08, 12:30

by JD » May 2nd, '08, 12:30

Kind of a tie between Sencha Fine and Oolong Ti Kuan Yin from SpecialTeas.. I'd have to say the Oolong was better, so... I vote Oolong!

In my cup this morning? Nothing.. I woke up with a nauseated tummy. :(

May 2nd, '08, 12:52

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 2nd, '08, 12:52

As I managed to run out of greens towards the end of March, I was left with my 4oz of White Tip Oolong for April. It was my staple tea for the month and I enjoyed drinking it a lot. I am bored with it currently so it won't be my favorite for May. Thankfully, I have some Fukamushi Sencha Supreme on order from O-cha that should be here next week.

I got my Adagio order yesterday with a bunch of flavored teas to play with for iced tea and a few others to either try or restock. Yesterday I sampled Yunnan Gold, Spring Darjeeling, and Peach Oolong. I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas. The flavor of the tea was smooth, but I couldn't get past the barn smell. The Spring Darjeeling was okay, except I brewed it at below boiling which brought out the sharp, green flavor of it. I am going to try it with boiling water later. The Peach Oolong was decent hot and will probably make nice iced tea.

My only tea for today was a result of not wanting more White Tip Oolong and not knowing what to make. I grabbed the two of the flavored sample tins that sounded like they might be palatable hot and ended up with a mug of half Vanilla and half Oriental Spice. It is surprisingly pretty good.

May 2nd, '08, 12:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 2nd, '08, 12:58

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: ...The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas...
Llamas! :shock:

May 2nd, '08, 13:53

by Katrina » May 2nd, '08, 13:53

Oolong was my little obsession this month - Ti Kwan Yin and Wuyi mostly.

I took the kids out to a cafe for snacks after the playground this morning and treated myself to an enormous pot of Assam Satrupa. Definitely helped wake me up...But now I'm ready for a nap!
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

May 2nd, '08, 14:04

by bambooforest » May 2nd, '08, 14:04

Of course I enjoy sipping my Taiwanese high mountain oolong before the sun rises, of which I drink consistently. But, April proves to be like the month's that precede it: Japanese sencha reigns supreme.

May 2nd, '08, 14:09

by mmsq3 » May 2nd, '08, 14:09

Green Tea all around for me last month! I seem to be addicted to it.

May 2nd, '08, 14:22

by Chip » May 2nd, '08, 14:22

April was a clean house month. All my good sencha was used up early in the month. But then I opened a bag od Fukamushi Superior...11 bucks per 100 grams. I had this bag for 8 months tucked away in the TeaFridge. I enjoyed this cheap sencha almost everyday til it was used up in around 15 days...it was a little rough, but really flavorful and enjoyable...my tea of the month.

Tokusen sencha is the only remaining straight sencha I have left. It was good today. Currently, adagio TKY, also good today.

Maybe shincha will arrive today or tomorrow.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 2nd, '08, 14:54

by olivierco » May 2nd, '08, 14:54

Sencha Kaburagien right now.
They just received their shincha today, so in about a week in my teacup. I also ordered their top matcha and top gyokuro.

May 2nd, '08, 15:16

by LavenderPekoe » May 2nd, '08, 15:16

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: <snip>I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas.
I have the same problem with this tea. I can't even have a brewed cup sitting on my desk...I actually don't even remember if I like the flavor, I couldn't get passed the hay smell at all.
Teas for trade:

May 2nd, '08, 15:21

by daughteroftheKing » May 2nd, '08, 15:21

Oolong remains my favorite tea. So far only adagio's TGY in my cup today.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

May 2nd, '08, 15:24

by Chip » May 2nd, '08, 15:24

henley wrote:Last month's favorite was by far oolong. I've found 3 that I really like: #8, #40 & pomegranate (just enjoy your grass clippings & keep your comments to yourself--you know who you are! :wink:). I'm looking forward to finding the apple & orange blossom oolongs that have been mentioned, too.
I do not know who you are talking about????? :shock:

May 2nd, '08, 15:28

by Chip » May 2nd, '08, 15:28

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas. The flavor of the tea was smooth, but I couldn't get past the barn smell.
Ahhhh, yes, barn yard tea...

I know what you are talking about. I seem to have this issue with Dan Cong Oolongs. The darn aroma reminds me of a natatorium. Now that is fixated in my brain...can't get passed it w/o more therapy. :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 2nd, '08, 15:55

by CynTEAa » May 2nd, '08, 15:55

LavenderPekoe wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: <snip>I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas.
I have the same problem with this tea. I can't even have a brewed cup sitting on my desk...I actually don't even remember if I like the flavor, I couldn't get passed the hay smell at all.
It's funny. Sometimes I perceive the hay and sometimes I really don't. (No llamas though..) But I get how you can't get past something in a tea. Once there was a tea that just reminded me of a medicine I had as a child. It was a bestseller, too everyone loved it, but I just couldn't enjoy it. Sorry, ladies! But it means more Yunnan Gold for me! :twisted:

Today I have had too many teas -- spring cuppings. All China black teas. :D

May 2nd, '08, 17:59

by henley » May 2nd, '08, 17:59

CynTEAa wrote:
LavenderPekoe wrote:
It's funny. Sometimes I perceive the hay and sometimes I really don't. (No llamas though..) But I get how you can't get past something in a tea. Once there was a tea that just reminded me of a medicine I had as a child. It was a bestseller, too everyone loved it, but I just couldn't enjoy it. Sorry, ladies! But it means more Yunnan Gold for me! :twisted:
I have this same problem w/pu erh. Don't know that I could ever try it just because the cakes remind me of something I'd see at my FIL's farm out in the pasture.

May 2nd, '08, 18:10

by Eastree » May 2nd, '08, 18:10

I had no real favorite tea last month, though for a while I've mostly stuck to what oolong and puerh I've had left, and occasionally a bit of my paltry white tea stash.

Tonight I'm having sencha for the first time in a while.