Sunday's TeaDay 5/04/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Hop asks, "How much of your day do you think you dedicate to 'thinking' about tea?"

What is to think about...pour in water...drink
2%
less than 30 minutes
24%
less than 60 minutes
16%
less than 90 minutes
9%
less than 120 minutes
13%
more than 120 minutes
36%

Total votes: 45

May 4th, '08, 22:42

90 minutes on weekends

by jim109 » May 4th, '08, 22:42

Yunnan Gold as usual this AM, then tried an Adagio sample of Kukicha which was very pleasant! Always like my toast with green tea! When I learned to only steep green tea 1 minute 30 seconds, it made a world of difference! I made my wife a mug of Kusmi Anastasia this AM, may have converted her from coffee!!
Jim

May 4th, '08, 23:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 4th, '08, 23:08

Eastree wrote:
Salsero wrote:Accidents and stunning cropping, Tree. Thanks for sharing with us. I don't know if you saw my original post about it before Chip deleted it for obscenity, but I praised your pic there among the talk about the scientific name for Stink Horn fungus.
Yup, yup. Saw it.
LOL...it was an accident...I wanted to delete my post and deleted Sal's. A Freudian delete? I am blamed for enough w/o heaping more on, Sal :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 4th, '08, 23:18

by Chip » May 4th, '08, 23:18

henley wrote:
ThinkingOutLoud wrote: I have visions of June Cleaver.
Why, I vacuum in heels & pearls all the time. Don't you? :lol:
Yes I do...all the time!!! :wink:

May 4th, '08, 23:24

by henley » May 4th, '08, 23:24

Chip wrote:
henley wrote:
This is a scary mental picture!!! Goodnight.

May 4th, '08, 23:33

by Chip » May 4th, '08, 23:33

henley wrote:
Chip wrote:
henley wrote:
This is a scary mental picture!!! Goodnight.
But no English girly teacups for me, thank you!!!!

May 5th, '08, 00:28

by Salsero » May 5th, '08, 00:28

Chip wrote: A Freudian delete? I am blamed for enough w/o heaping more on, Sal
Oh, but Chip you have those strong, broad shoulders!

Besides it makes me feel years younger to pretend I am still a bad boy.

May 5th, '08, 00:44

by olivierco » May 5th, '08, 00:44

Chip wrote:I went with his standard shipping which usually makes it to my mail box in 4-5 business days.

EMS is nice and it is fun tracking packages half a world away. But they require signatures...and it must be delivered before 3 PM. I had a sub mail carrier last year who had a delivery attempt slip already made up. He delivered mail here at around 4, no package, just the delivery attempt slip.

I checked the tracking. He had entered it as attempted delivery at 2:58/no one home. GRRRRR. I was home, he was late and just could not deliver it w/o getting into trouble. I was too nice and said nothing. It is not wise to anger your mail carrier when he will deiver tea to you.

So, my package made it from China to the front of my house in 3 days!!! It took another 3 days to finally get my package. I was hotter than tea!
I have the same kind of problems with EMS in France. Often the carrier doesn't even take the time to ring my doorbell. He just puts the delivery attempt slip in my mail box and brings the package to the post office. He even "lost" last month a package containing a chabako set.

May 5th, '08, 02:03

by chamekke » May 5th, '08, 02:03

In Canada, EMS is now handled by Canada Post ... so at least the delivery behaviour is the same as for SAL. If the postie calls while I'm out, s/he leaves a slip and I pick the parcel up at the local sub-post office - which, fortunately, is close to home!

One thing though, orders that are shipped via EMS are likelier to be held up by Canada Customs. Perhaps the logic is that courier service = more valuable = more worthy of close scrutiny? When items are shipped via SAL, there seems to be little or no slowdown whatsoever. So in terms of speed, SAL can be as quick as EMS - and considerably less expensive, of course.

Incidentally, my all-time record was a ten-week-long wait in the hands of Customs - after which they sent the parcel back to Japan! The order was for used kimono, and Customs sent me a letter explaining that the items had been rejected because they hadn't been marked with clothing labels in English or French indicating country of origin*, as required under NAFTA. I looked up the Customs Act, phoned the inspector in charge, and pointed out that used/vintage clothing from non-NAFTA countries - such as the kimono in the shipment - are exempt from this requirement. On the second attempt to ship, there was no problem! I was really peeved, though, that Customs hadn't contacted me before returning the shipment. It wasn't the Japanese seller's fault [he was apologetic over the whole mess, but of course it wasn't anything he was at all responsible for!], so I ended up covering the shipping cost twice. A learning experience, I guess...

The moral of this story is: if you ever decide to import used Japanese clothing to Canada, and you anticipate any problems, drop me a line and I'll tell you which chapter and verse of the Customs Act your Japanese seller should quote on the accompanying documentation ;)
___

*As it happens, kimono and other traditional Japanese garments almost never have labels, not even Japanese ones.