"Ocha" de Mayo,2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Yeah Spring asked, "As the weather gets warmer and warmer, do you drink more or less tea?"

More, but mostly iced tea
9%
More, green tea can be very cooling
2%
Same, the weather doesn't affect my tea drinking habits
71%
Less, it's just too dang hot to drink tea
7%
Other
11%

Total votes: 56

May 8th, '08, 13:57

by Pentox » May 8th, '08, 13:57

insanitylater wrote:the same but i might try and find a cheap sencha i can ice but will still be good. if you have any recommendations for one i would love to hear it

came home and i resteeped the xiaguan puerh i had last night. i forgot to dump the leaves and thought why not. now have iced cold powdered sencha in my bottle
How cheap of a sencha are you looking for?

May 8th, '08, 14:11

by olivierco » May 8th, '08, 14:11

This afternoon Ippodo Sencha Kaboku (cold brewing, I overbrewed the first steep a little with 10 min).

May 8th, '08, 14:17

by insanitylater » May 8th, '08, 14:17

actually now that i look at the price the o-cha daily sencha seems like it would be the best bet
http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/daily-sencha.html

plus i know it will probably be fairly good

May 8th, '08, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 8th, '08, 14:58

First TeaDay post and I am on page 3. I do not think I adjust my tea drinking much when it gets warm or hot. I keep saying I will get back to drinking more iced tea, which I pride myself in my iced tea brewing. I jusy like tea hot more times than not. As a result, I am a bit out of practice brewiing iced tea.

In my cup, my 4th crack at this sencha...much better brewed cooler and a little less leaf. Still, last years was clearly better. But this is quite good.

Now that I kinda nailed this one...I can open another. Likely Kirameki.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 8th, '08, 15:05

by olivierco » May 8th, '08, 15:05

Chip wrote: In my cup, my 4th crack at this sencha...much better brewed cooler and a little less leaf. Still, last years was clearly better. But this is quite good.
Which one? Hatsumi?

May 8th, '08, 15:11

by Salsero » May 8th, '08, 15:11

tenuki wrote:Sorry Sal, the pink roses and yellow background kinda killed the butch. Try again girly man.

:twisted:

May 8th, '08, 15:17

by Victoria » May 8th, '08, 15:17

Chip wrote:I keep saying I will get back to drinking more iced tea, which I pride myself in my iced tea brewing. I just like tea hot more times than not. As a result, I am a bit out of practice brewing iced tea.
Hummm let's see all you need are some scales, a refrigerator thermometer, tea, water and some ice cubes. For lunch a 2nd steep of the nilgiri - delish!

May 8th, '08, 15:36

by Pentox » May 8th, '08, 15:36

insanitylater wrote:actually now that i look at the price the o-cha daily sencha seems like it would be the best bet
http://www.o-cha.com/green-tea/daily-sencha.html

plus i know it will probably be fairly good
For that price I would suggest trying out Nara Tsukigase from lupicia. About the same price, free shipping if you hit minimum order. Although it depends on how you like your sencha. I found the daily a bit more astringent than I would like.

May 8th, '08, 15:37

by Jade Flower » May 8th, '08, 15:37

I voted "other" because the amount of tea I drink with the beginning of summer doesn't change, I just substitute hot teas with iced blacks during the aftenoon. It's too hot here to drink anything else that is warmer than the room temperature :)

In my cup right now: Darjeeling Poobong White.

May 8th, '08, 16:30

by Chip » May 8th, '08, 16:30

olivierco wrote:
Chip wrote: In my cup, my 4th crack at this sencha...much better brewed cooler and a little less leaf. Still, last years was clearly better. But this is quite good.
Which one? Hatsumi?
Sorry about that. Yes Hatsumi. I may treat this a little more like fuka by using a little more leaf and short 40ish second first steep. But definitely cooler water. 160ish* as Den's recommends for premium Shizuoka sencha as is the Hatsumi.

The second and 3rd steep of this sencha is incredibly GREEN.
Last edited by Chip on May 8th, '08, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, '08, 16:40

by Chip » May 8th, '08, 16:40

Chip wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Chip wrote:I keep saying I will get back to drinking more iced tea, which I pride myself in my iced tea brewing. I just like tea hot more times than not. As a result, I am a bit out of practice brewing iced tea.
Hummm let's see all you need are some scales, a refrigerator thermometer, tea, water and some ice cubes.
For lunch a 2nd steep of the nilgiri - delish!
You meant TeaFridge, right???
First crack at Kirameki...I respected the leaf this attempt, cooler temp, etc. Came out lightly grassy, with a noticable floral background. I plan on playing around with this sencha, have fun with it while also respecting it. I think this one has no perfect way to brew it as it can be done differing ways with enjoyable differing results.

2nd steep is flavorful and still has a distictly astringent kick.3rd, light and sweeter, still a little astringent. brewing a 4th and 5th.

May 8th, '08, 17:10

Re: Macho teaware

by Katrina » May 8th, '08, 17:10

chamekke wrote: I'm totally getting the welcoming Friendly Giant vibe here. "One little chair for one of you, and a bigger chair for two to curl up in, and for someone who likes to rock, a rocking chair in the middle." Nice!
Chamekke - Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I haven't thought of the Friendly Giant in YEARS. I grew up in central Maine and we used to get Canadian Public TV. My brother and I loved the Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup. I actually just went and looked at a few clips on YouTube. (One of which had an ad for The Beachcombers.) OK - They were a bit more disturbing than I'd remembered but a good memory nevertheless. :lol:

Sencha in my cup today. (Following a really fantastic mango smoothie - not tea, but made me happy.)

May 8th, '08, 17:49

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 8th, '08, 17:49

I don't think my tea habits will change too much. My summer job is at a place that enjoys keeping the air conditioning at full blast and extra cold. I'll definitely be drinking more iced tea during the warmer weather, but I like waking up in the morning with a large mug of hot tea.

Today has been a slow tea day. I just got to my first tea and it is almost 6pm. I am still experimenting with the leaf amount and brew time for the Fukamushi Sencha Supreme.

May 8th, '08, 17:59

Re: Macho teaware

by bi lew chun » May 8th, '08, 17:59

Pentox wrote:Wait, you started drinking scotch since you were at your mother's knee?
Maybe when he was teething. 8)

May 8th, '08, 18:10

by tenuki » May 8th, '08, 18:10

bi lew chun wrote:...
I've recently acquired a taste for Bi Luo Chun, the fresh first pick stuff is just amazing. Good username!