SUNDAY TeaDay 5/18/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Still discussing vendors, when selecting or evaluating a vendor, which is most important?

Price
No votes
Quality
34%
The relationship of price to quality...value
45%
Selection
6%
Customer service
No votes
Reputation or what other TeaChatters are saying about the vendor
9%
Gut feeling
4%
Other
2%

Total votes: 53

May 18th, '08, 14:13

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 18th, '08, 14:13

I finally broke out my camera and had some fun taking pictures of my new tea cup that I got last weekend. The tea inside it is Fukamushi Sencha Supreme, and the flowers with it are variegated lilacs.

May 18th, '08, 14:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 18th, '08, 14:31

Wow gorgeous CK!!!

I love seeing all the pics we are including now!

TeaDay just gets better and better!

:shock: Unbelievable but true, I am back on the magnolia oolong today. It must be the heat! The floral scent is just so summery.

May 18th, '08, 14:40

by Chip » May 18th, '08, 14:40

henley wrote:I'm home!!! Thanx for all the well wishes. Once we got there, we had a BLAST!!! I've seen the Eagles & Don Henley in concert before so last night was another great show. Including 3 encores, the concert was apr 3 hrs. I even won 2 tickets to Steve Miller Band concert on Memorial Day! :D We decided to come home after the concert. Got home about 2:00 & slept in this morning so no tea yet.

I don't mind paying extra for a tea I really like. But I don't want to pay extra just for the sake of spending extra so I do tend to shop for value.

Augie, I know what you mean about the birds. We have barn swallows that like to build on our front porch every spring. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make such a mess.
LadyTiger wrote:I'm cheating this morning because I wanted something quick and sweet so sweet tea it is with scrabbled eggs and toast.
A little sweet tea never hurt anybody! :wink:

Off to start the day & fix some tea to get me going!
WOW, fantastic! And SMB tickets!!! I lived on Steve Miller for a few years. I still crank it up.

I have swallows that dive bomb right into a whole in a retaining wall every year. It is right along the road and it is amazing watching them. They have nested there every year.

Hmmm, a little Sweet Tea to start the day, sounds kinda dangerous to this Yankee!!! But I would try it :wink:

Moving on to adagio Dragon Well. I hope it warms me on a cool rainy day...wait...the sun JUST popped out!
Last edited by Chip on May 19th, '08, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, '08, 14:52

by TimeforTea » May 18th, '08, 14:52

Thought I'd share a photo today. I apologize for the poor quality. This is of my gaiwan from teaspring.com, my bodum glass cup, oolong #40, flowers a la Costco, and my favorite coaster from bed bath and beyond added for color affect. The tea tray was a great find from a store in NJ.

May 18th, '08, 16:24

by Salsero » May 18th, '08, 16:24

Teasweetie wrote:Thought I'd share a photo today.
Sweet set up, baby! You can have me over for tea any ole time. That you found that bamboo tray without special ordering it is very discouraging. I have been fiddling with the idea of getting one for a year or two and just can't find what I want (course, I have no idea what I want.)

And the Bodum, I am so loving mine. I didn't think I would care this much for it, but I am head over heels and I don't see it ending any time soon. It is my Bride of the Wind*: its substance in my hands is no more weighty than the air that buoys and sustains us.

*Obscure reference is to work by Oskar Kokoschka

May 18th, '08, 16:37

by TimeforTea » May 18th, '08, 16:37

Salsero wrote:
Teasweetie wrote:Thought I'd share a photo today.
Sweet set up, baby! You can have me over for tea any ole time. That you found that bamboo tray without special ordering it is very discouraging. I have been fiddling with the idea of getting one for a year or two and just can't find what I want (course, I have no idea what I want.)

And the Bodum, I am so loving mine. I didn't think I would care this much for it, but I am head over heels and I don't see it ending any time soon. It is my Bride of the Wind*: its substance in my hands is no more weighty than the air that buoys and sustains us.

*Obscure reference is to work by Oskar Kokoschka
Wow, I am honored! Salsero, the master of tea photos, has commented on my photo. I, a mere novice! :shock:

I happened to find the bamboo tray in a store that wasn't even a tea room. I paid about $25 for it.

I really like my bodum glasses! Brewed some white peach tonight after dinner. It looked so nice in the glass cup.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!
Last edited by TimeforTea on May 19th, '08, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, '08, 17:31

by Chip » May 18th, '08, 17:31

Hashiri Shincha...the very first of the very first picking in my cup currently. Now, this I do not consider as good a value as the Kirameki. Both are quite pricey, but Kirameki wins hands down. This has the "naive bitterness" of leaf that was plucked prior to the ideal picking time, thus revealing a different side of sencha. I liken it to unripe fruit!

This is loaded with astringency...even through the 3rd steep. It is tolerable to me, but I suspect some might not like it. I find it thin and unbalanced. It is not the ideal sencha, but it is so unique...and knowing it was the very first leaves picked, makes it a unique opportunity.

May 18th, '08, 20:07

by Katrina » May 18th, '08, 20:07

I had to vote quality, but I think many of those other things are factors too. Sometimes I find a quality vendor because of a TeaDay reference. But in the end, I'd rather buy a small amount of a high quality tea than a boatload of mediocre.

Back on Ti Kuan Yin today, but I'm trying one from MEM Imports. Just wanted to compare with yesterday's Adagio.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

May 18th, '08, 20:29

by Ladytiger » May 18th, '08, 20:29

It's my lucky day, a cup of White peony!

May 18th, '08, 20:53

by henley » May 18th, '08, 20:53

Chip wrote: Hmmm, a little Sweet Tea to start the day, sounds kinda dangerous to this Yankee!!! But I would try it :wink:
Yeah, right! You won't even try orange blossom oolong. :wink:

Speaking of the infamous tea, had a cuppa this afternoon & may have another tonight.

May 18th, '08, 22:40

by Salsero » May 18th, '08, 22:40

henley wrote:Yeah, right! You won't even try orange blossom oolong.
His failing has not gone unnoticed. If he didn't know so damn much about sencha, I would vote to string him up from the highest tree!

May 19th, '08, 02:20

by horsencl » May 19th, '08, 02:20

Today I am drinking a sample of Golden Moon's Sugar Caramel Oolong. I have to say, it is pretty yummy. Where did you get the tray in NJ? I live in NJ and I've been trying to find a tray like that as well. :D

May 19th, '08, 02:28

by Chip » May 19th, '08, 02:28

Salsero wrote:
henley wrote:Yeah, right! You won't even try orange blossom oolong.
His failing has not gone unnoticed. If he didn't know so damn much about sencha, I would vote to string him up from the highest tree!
Be kind...he will try it... :wink:

Finished a good TeaDay with some ancient and neglected houjicha...still good.

May 19th, '08, 05:30

by Sam. » May 19th, '08, 05:30

Relationship between quality and price. Quality's definitely important - I wouldn't buy a poor quality tea on purpose - but I don't have a huge budget either! So a balance between the two is ideal.